Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just had power restored after being without for 20 hrs. :(

Apparently there was a major lightening strike on the main distribution point which blacked out the entire island of Oahu.

Honolulu Airport had to be closed and flights diverted.

Luckily, this all started around 6.30pm, so most of outage was over night.

Thank goodness for my emergency lighting and portable gas stove.

·
29,948 Posts
Well, I'm glad you have power back.

A few years ago my parents moved to scotland, and my Dad measured the incoming power to his new house. He determined that it fluctuated far too much, so he installed an emergency generator - but one big enough to run the whole house, rather than just a fridge.

After doing that, the incoming power went rock solid, so he shrugged his shoulders and forgot about it.

Then, 2 years later, one december, the power to the whole valley he lives in got cut off. The emergency generator kicked right in, powered up the whole house.

Including all the christmas lights, which was all that could be seen in the valley all night.

The next day, generator sales spiked for some reason.

I keep thinking about getting a generator to power at least minor stuff, but like most folks will probably wait until I actually need it. :D

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I keep thinking about getting a generator to power at least minor stuff, but like most folks will probably wait until I actually need it. :D
After the 18 hr power outage that we had last year, I swore that I would get a generator, but did not.

All I would need is something big enough to run the fridge, microwave, TV/DVD plater and a couple of lights and I would be set.

It would be of no use running the computers as we lose internet connection when the power goes out anyway.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Shades of Hurrican Iniki. I left my wife on the island while I went to sea. Came back into port and the Island was a wreck. Glad you didn't have to go longer than what you did. Generators seem a waste until times like this. Get one and get her hardwired by a pro directly into the house.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
I've had stand-by power generator for a few years, paid for itself. Nothing worse than being cut-off in a winter without power. I can power up essentials inc internet (Telecom in the area also has standby power) and I cook with gas.

Living in the countryside we generally lose power in big winds with trees falling across power lines.

-------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Being powerless must have brought back fond memories of once owning a Ural ?

---------------
Ride on ! :D

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
In the nineties (before I relocated to Maine) they had an ice storm and power was out for 3 or 4 weeks depending on where you lived in the state. I am planning on getting a generator by this summer. The recent ice storm had several days with out power in Maine and over a week in NH.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Wombat, I'm glad your doing fine! Let's you practice your survival skills.:D

Yea, the news made quite a big deal about it with Obama taking his vacation their. Wow, I hope he paid for that one on his own!:eek:

Cheers

Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Wombat, I'm glad your doing fine! Let's you practice your survival skills.:D

Yea, the news made quite a big deal about it with Obama taking his vacation their. Wow, I hope he paid for that one on his own!:eek:
CheersJeff:motorbike2:
Most likely he is using the slush fund from the election.....:D

Oops now the cat is out of the bag.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Backup power

+1 on having a backup generator. We had a nasty hurricane about six years ago and we were without power for 14 days. Never again!
Living in the country, we have a well, cook/heat with propane and have a septic which requires a pump to the drainage field. No power=PITA! No water, no toilet, no A/C, no fridges, no showers with hot water and all those amenities.
Back wired it into the house with an outside weatherhead, enough heavy extension so the gen can live in the shop out back and when fired up, you can't even hear it.
It's the way to go especially if you experience more than a few outages a year.

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Glad to hear that you're OK Wombles.

We are also a bit countryfied here so I have a back up generator under the house as well. I am going to get it hooked up to power the house (instead of running leads) next time my sparky mate is out for a few beers. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts