Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a GPS on my Bonnie and I want to connect it to a power source. The cable included is long enough to get it to the battery, but I wonder if it is not easier to connect it to one of the wires (maybe there is a free socket?) inside the headlight? Anyone been there, or info how it is best done?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Bert

·
Registered
666 Posts
Bert,

As I recall it most folks are tapping into an unused connector under the tank for gripheaters etc. Easy enough to pull the tank and probe with a volt meter.

I am sure someone that has done this willchimein shortly.

Tad

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm thinking about a GPS unit myself.
Which one did you buy?
Let us know how things go.

Rocky

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a Zumo - but no Hayes manual (cannot find one here in Belguim). So I need someone to give some clues on how to remove (or flip up) the tank and on the exact wherabouts of a spare power socket (preferably one that is swithed of with the ingition).
I'll post some pictures if I manage to do it. If not, I'll let my dealer do it. But something tells me it is dead simple if you know how.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Bert,

To remove the tank, remove the seat, turn the gas petcock off, remove the two bolts that hold the rear of the tank to the frame and then remove the fuel line from the petcock. You can then lift the rear of the tank enough to pull the gas overflow line from the underside of the tank on the right side about midway between the rear and front of the tank. Then grasp the tank and pull it towards the rear. It should just pull off the bike.

To locate a switched power source, you aught to have a volt meter. You can get one cheap at the likes of Harbor Freight tools or any other tool supply shop. Ground the negative lead of the volt meter and with the switch on probe the connector. When you find a hot line try it again with the switch off and see if it is switched. You can search this site on grip warmers, I recall some folks discussing the connector they tapped for their grip warmers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts