Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can somebody point me to the thread showing how to get power to my gps? (It only connect with a micro USB)

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
There is a harness connection under the front instrument cluster that you can plug into for power and audio.
Just be aware that the connection under the instrument cluster is (probably) 12v dc whilst Micro USB is +5v dc. You cannot put the feed from the instrument cluster directly into the USB port if this is the case.
However, most GPS systems include some method of attaching the GPS to a std 12v car socket and there are various small aftermarket converters available.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just be aware that the connection under the instrument cluster is (probably) 12v dc whilst Micro USB is +5v dc. You cannot put the feed from the instrument cluster directly into the USB port if this is the case.
However, most GPS systems include some method of attaching the GPS to a std 12v car socket and there are various small aftermarket converters available.
Great point that I forgot to mention. Most GPS models have a connection box that will correct this issue.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
10 Posts
I found it's difficult to wire GPS through the glove box as the lid presses the wire (in long term I suspect the wires to be damaged).
Will try to make external USB port and keep the USB inside glove box for USB flash drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts