Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I know this has been probably done to death, but search isn't helping me out. I have an 08 Scrambler that I'd like to fit with a Zumo 550 GPS. I've been trying to figure out the best way to set it up with switchable power... that is to say, power that goes off either when the key is turned off or perhaps when the kill switch is 'off'. I'd appreciate the benefit of someone else's experience.

Any hints?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
SkiFast, you don't say where you're from and this could make a difference.
My Bonnie is an '06 and came stock with a "parking light" inside the headlight bucket. In the US(at least in Washington State!) we're not required to have that.
So my first mod was to pop in a H6024XV sealed beam headlamp to replace the stock Triumph headlight, and that made the parking lamp connector surplus. Then I cut the connector off(I left 1 1/2" of wire on it in case I want to solder it back on) and used the wires to power my Garmin 2720.
IF the '08 Scrambler has the "parking light", and IF you're in a locale where you can legally remove it, this could be one option for you.

Walt

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Walt. As it turns out, I'm about 25 miles from you in Woodinville.

What I ended up doing is as follows: Under the seat, the main wiring harness is connected to a couple of sub wire harnesses. One of them goes to the rear light cluster, and it has five wires: left and right turn signals, brake light, tail light, and ground. (I'm giving this detail for anyone who does a search on this topic.) The yellow wire on the sub harness is the tail light, which is on whenever the key is switched on. So I tapped into that, and my GPS is now switched. Easy peasy, once I figured out which wire did what.

Thanks. Hope to see you riding around. I'm on a green 08 and can often be seen putzing around east of you, anywhere between Darrington and Woodinville.

Ride safe!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.