Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
power commander.

I dont run a PC due to the fact that i couldnt be happier with the performance. I appreciate that a li'l old fine tuning could make it run smoother but im happy as is!
I have the Arrow can on my S3, very nice looking and a real nice growl.
:D:D:D

·
Registered
420 Posts
Why? When the factory ECU is programmable?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ride......if at some stage i find myself at a Dealer i wouldnt be averse to letting them tune it up. But dont want the hassle or expense of actually fitting a PC.
Also.......if it wasnt for having SH*T luck, i would have no luck at all!! Something would go wrong with any PC i have fitted. Hahahahah!!

·
Super Moderator
22,106 Posts
That's a little too cryptic Ride

mnhoulden - you can certainly use PC3 but a better option for a Triumph is to go with TuneBoy which directly writes to the ECM itself, rather than modifying the output signals en-route to the injectors as PC3 does.
Tuneboy also gives you access to tune ignition map as well as fuelling, not to mention a diagnostic suite of utilities also.
No hardware to install either!

Note that I am familiar with both - I run PC3 on my Suzuki and Tuneboy on my Triumph so not offering purely biased opinion.
The Tuneboy definitely has many more features and better value IMO.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I run with a PC but its another version of it built by a local racing company

Not really a good person to ask since I have not had anything to compare it to. IE (before the PC)

I do get about 130-140 mp/tank if that helps at all :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
I run a power commander on my 03. Here is the dyno chart. The red line is with a K&N air filter and Two Brothers slip-on. The blue line is after the tune. I noticed a BIG difference after the tune.

Be warned tho, if you get your stock ECU updated from Triumph, you might have to re-tune the power commander if they changed the stock map at all.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I run a power commander on my 03. Here is the dyno chart. The red line is with a K&N air filter and Two Brothers slip-on. The blue line is after the tune. I noticed a BIG difference after the tune.

Be warned tho, if you get your stock ECU updated from Triumph, you might have to re-tune the power commander if they changed the stock map at all.
That's why! :D

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
PowerCommander with K&N and TORS on a 2000 Speedie. The main difference I noticed was the motor runs smoother and a bit richer, something I wanted because of the +100 temperatures here in the summer. It's easy to install but does piggyback on the factory fuel injection system. Lots and lots of downloaded maps. Just document the ones that work as you experiment.

·
Registered
168 Posts
one problem I've heard from a few people here in the phoenix area is they can't find anyone who can work with the tuneboy.

DEcosse, who tuned yours?

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's why! :D
But that doesn't show you standard and then PC, it shows aftermarket parts fitted on standard tune and then the same on PC tune. If you really want to know what difference it makes then you need to dyno from completely standard first. Those mods may have made the output worse with a standard tune but then brought them "back into line" with the PC tune. (on that note I'd have to say nitto's displayed "starting figure" looks a bit low to me although that could be down to 89ron fuel) I'd rather tune my ECU properly than just fool it into thinking something. Just my 0.02p's worth:)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just talked to the guys at Dynojet and they said they don't have any models for 07/08 S3?! So I guess I can't use an older PC3 model on my bike???:confused: I thought you could take any of those fuel/air mappers and just get a custom tune specifically for your own ride?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just talked to the guys at Dynojet and they said they don't have any models for 07/08 S3?! So I guess I can't use an older PC3 model on my bike???:confused: I thought you could take any of those fuel/air mappers and just get a custom tune specifically for your own ride?
Kind of... but then you need the right PC3 (& does it adjust timing at all?) so really if it's a truely custom map you're after then you need a Tuneboy set up. To be honest it's beyond me why anyone with an speed triple would actually want a pc3:confused: The tuneboy set up is miles better and more tuneable and you can still enter the official Triumph maps and adjust them to suit. For me it's a no-brainer. I used to have piggy back ecu(just like the pc3) tuning on my car and whilst it was better than nothing it was nowhere near as tuneable(or safe) as the power fc(fully tuneable ecu) I have now. It also only "adjusted" the fueling but not timing too. Piggyback ECU "tuners" are, to be honest, very amature and merely trick the ecu into reading a false airflow & doing something it otherwise wouldn't do whereas the tuneboy actually adjusts your ECU parameters itself and so you dont need to install any hardware at all; in fact no-one need ever know you've adjusted anything as there's nothing tangible to see. You could tear all the cats off your bike and give it any free flowing exhaust you like and then still tune it perfcetly to match the set up.
I would want my fueling and timing to be spot on and give the very best smooth power (regardless of HP) but I have seen alot of people's maps after having factory maps installed or PC3 tuning and frankly some of them are only just safe with regards to fuel curves. Some of that may be due to other EU b.s. fitted but the more adjusting you can do the more of that stuff you can dial out. I don't work for tuneboy btw but I do have both experiences of piggyback fuel tuning and full ECU mapping and they're a world apart. The tuneboy is even cheaper.. go figure.
Sorry for the long post; just trying to help out fellow members and maybe explain a few things from my experience. Hope it helps:)

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
33 Posts
dyno

Mivv carbon gp pipe. Power comm. and custom mapped. Dyno reads 121 BHP. I had the pipe and pc fitted to triumphs race pipe map but it ran lumpy so got it custom mapped at local dealer. Apart from the 121 bhp it really fires up thru the revs from nothing to red smoothly now. Down side is from a full to the neck tank to the light coming on is 100miles max. Worth it

1 - 20 of 27 Posts