Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so what's this Power Commander mod all about? I assume it's similar to a full standalone engine management system on a car. I just want to know if it's worth it.

The things that I want from this mod:

More power
Smoother RPM's
Better throttle response

If this goes onto my bike what can I expect as far as power? I know this is a loose ended question but gimme your best shot. I am looking into exhausts or fabricating my own up as well. So what kind of power range can I expect from just exhaust?

What other power/engine mods are there for these bikes? I don't want to do anything to the internals or anything like that, stuff like "bolt-ons" interests me mostly.

Cody

·
Super Moderator
8,839 Posts
All it does is let you modify the signals the ECU uses to time the engine, meter the fuel, etc. It's useless unless you have a map to put in it, since it's essentially an adjustment tool, nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If you install an exhaust without a PC or Tuneboy to take advantage of the increased flow you're not necessarily going to gain anything but noise... and probably lose a little weight.

Zane

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
All it does is let you modify the signals the ECU uses to time the engine, meter the fuel, etc. ..
So it's an air/fuel controller and a timing controller, essentially?
Power Commander actually has no capability to adjust timing. It only adjusts fuel by intercepting & re-manipulating the drive signals to the injectors.
PC does offer an optional add-on ignition timing module for some makes/models, but that is not available for the Triumphs.

If you want full capability to be able to adjust fuel & ignition timing, then Tuneboy is a better solution as it will allow changes in both of these sets of paramters, as well as including a suite of diagnostic features.
I actually have both products - Tuneboy on the Triumph and PC3 on the Suzuki TL

Either one goes about the end result (at least re fueling) in a similar fashion, but through different mechanisms to get there; so either is capable of achieving similar results.
The key is not whether or not it will give you a huge change in PEAK HP, but can quite readily give you a much improved torque curve through the midrange, which might be more beneficial anyway. The stock map is going to have some comrpmises to meet various emissions standards. Changing the fueling in the mid-range will typically unlock some real benefits by overcoming OEM compromises.

Bottom line is, it really needs a dyno tuner to program (whichever medium you apply), to get those benefits - Although you may get some benefit by applying a map that someone else has developed for equipment configuration similar to yours.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok can't I just pay a dealer to hook it up and throw a map on there or what? I mean instead of spending $265-$300...let me know if this is feasible since it seems like I may only be putting on the exhaust or my modded exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Ok can't I just pay a dealer to hook it up and throw a map on there or what? ...
Most are satisfied with doing just that. At least Triumph does have alternate maps available for non-std exhaust - although they are specifically derived for their own TORS (Triumph Off-Road System) exhaust and not necessarily a catch-all for whatever characteristics your own system of choice might be.
But it will certainly offer better fueling that the std map, so with an after-market exhaust it's the minimum consideration.
Some dealers will even do this free if you have a good relationship - others I've seen reportedly in the $50 neighborhood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok can't I just pay a dealer to hook it up and throw a map on there or what? I mean instead of spending $265-$300...let me know if this is feasible since it seems like I may only be putting on the exhaust or my modded exhaust.

I just went to my local dealer.I put a slip-on on my TT600 and they charged me $37.50 to update my ECM.It was 1/2 hour labor.Now thats a bargain.
Here is a pic of my love.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
I just went to my local dealer.I put a slip-on on my TT600 and they charged me $37.50 to update my ECM.It was 1/2 hour labor.Now thats a bargain.
Because loading a new map only takes five minutes at most, I'd disagree about the bargain rate of $37.50. But people have to make money I suppose...

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
They were doing a lot of standing around then, because it doesn't take half an hour.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you even read my post?I WAS STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO THEM WHILE THEY DID IT.Im pretty sure I didnt black out while it was being updated.Anyways for what I paid it was worth it.More power and runs better.[Edited];)

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Did you even read my post?I WAS STANDING RIGHT NEXT TO THEM WHILE THEY DID IT.Im pretty sure I didnt black out while it was being updated.Anyways for what I paid it was worth it.More power and runs better.[Edited];)
If you want to get on here as a 1 month old newbie with a post count of 4 and publicly display your ignorance of these motorcycles and their engine management system, that's your business; however, you cross the line when blurting out inflammatory statements about people's intelligence in relationship to where they work (which has been edited). Contrary to what you think, this forum is not one in which you can attempt poor humor that may insult members that have contributed in far greater ways than you have. If you don’t have anything that is provable and non-inflammatory to say, I suggest reading threads instead of contributing to them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can definitely smooth your bike's power delivery with a PC3 or Tuneboy, but you'll need to do something that improves air/fuel flow in and exhaust flow out to really find any sizeable increase in peak power.

If you're going to invest in either, spend the coin to have a custom map built. Otherwise just have the dealer toss OEM maps at the bike with their scan tool.

·
Registered
17 Posts
everyone is saying the power commander does A/F tuning as well...?
On a TT600, the only thing a PC3 can adjust is fueling, which is how you get the bike to achieve a desired A/F Ratio.

A Tuneboy directly manipulates the map stored in the stock ECU to achieve the same effect, and can additionally alter almost all other areas of the ECU's control, ignition timing, sensor based fueling trim, TPS adjustment and calibration, yada yada yada. The downside is most dyno operators aren't familiar with it, so getting a custom map made may take longer or cost more.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts