Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets look at speed cameras.. just imagine if someone started altering his/her neighbours numberplates in the night with black insulation tape. Now imagine if this practice took off - every time you left your car at lunch time some nasty person altered your number plate... with no proof as to who had committed the act. How long before people started to do their own cars? And every car in the company car park... random cars in the street. Most of our so called surveillance society totally depends upon our acceptance of it... and indeed our compliance.

I'm not suggesting that everyone goes out and alters their plate... and then blames it on a neighbour who read this. If enough people did this then where would we be? Now... if we weren't being tracked everywhere we drive then there would be no reason to circumvent the authorities, but then again? Anyone on motor sites please feel free to copy these threads.

[ This message was edited by: Scarpa on 2006-11-24 18:07 ]

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Imagine if everyone had a roll of black insulation tape in their pockets and would alter plates at random during the day...?

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Imagine if...the existing laws are simply enforced, without regard to cameras and such. In nearly all jurisdictions, it is illegal to be on the road with plates altered in any way. It does not matter to the law who did it. You, as the operator of your vehicle, are responsible for its condition at all times.

So let's further imagine that somebody does this to your plates, and you get ticketed and fined anyway, and you do it to someone else who gets ticketed and fined...it would not be long (in this country, at least) before anyone seen near the rear of another's vehicle would be at risk of getting shot.

And the surveillance goes on anyway....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So do every politicians and police cars plate.... see how the law gets applied. Would be fun anyhow. Bus drivers, taxis etc. Would provide a hell of a defence... :cool:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
D - so how would they trace you anyhow? Speaking more from the UK here where it is usually carried out remotely.

T

·
0 Posts
I've got this friend with a bike very similar to mine who uses a reflective spray that over exposes the tag photos. Between that, the fact that the plate is mounted upside down and within the wheel well of the bike and is not registered in this state seem to help. He has yet to receive a ticket in the mail, knock on wood.

·
Registered
583 Posts
how about if everybody that know's where the speed camera's were posted them "i've seen a registery somewere" of just plain old walked up and smashed em

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
On 2006-11-25 00:10, jrussell6 wrote:
how about if everybody that know's where the speed camera's were posted them "i've seen a registery somewere" of just plain old walked up and smashed em
Seems someone here in Finland is ahead of you. Just read on this morning's local paper that police is investigating the gunning down of 15-20 camera posts with a shotgun.
:razz:

Sounds like somebody got well pissed off by the automatic fines appearing in his mailbox.

Currently motorcycles are safe from the stationary cameras over here, though as they only photograph you from the front. Mobile "van on the side of the road" units photograph the rear also.

Also there has been some talk over here a while back about computerized average speed surveillance. A camera at point A automatically identifies your plate, same for camera B at a later point -> computer does the math of your average speed and mails you a fine as you made it to point B too fast.
:hammer:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts