Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...a new Speed Triple?

Greetings,

I find myself spending most of my free time these last few weeks watching every youtube video and reading every article I can find on the Speed Triple.
I think this means I need to own one. Thankfully there's a seemingly reputable Triumph dealer within a hours drive of my house. I took a bobber out for a spin there once. I think the bobber might be the best looking factory stock motorcycle I've ever seen, but the riding position didn't really suit me and it wasn't a sufficient performance upgrade over my 2017 Harley Roadster to justify trading in what is basically still a new motorcycle. But it got me thinking that Triumphs are lovely. And then I saw the specs for the Speed Triple. I've never been partial to sport bikes, even though I always new that the average 650 would run circles around my 1200cc v-twin, but there's something about the Triple. It has character. I love it. And 148 horses? GTFO!!! I even appreciate the angry insectoid aesthetics. Without a doubt the best looking bike of it's class on the street.
So with that long winded prologue out of the way, is there any advice for a potential Triumph customer? My questions include:

* If I want a new 18'/19' when is the best time to buy?
* Do dealers in the US just get what they get or should I place an order for the color I want?
* Am I going to have to pay sticker plus fees, or is there some margin to negotiate?

·
Registered
848 Posts
* Do dealers in the US just get what they get or should I place an order for the color I want?
* Am I going to have to pay sticker plus fees, or is there some margin to negotiate?
Greetings! End of the month is always a good time to buy. And you'll likely get a better deal on '18s vs '19s. If you do order one, you'll likely pay full MSRP plus the dealer add on stuff. There might even still be some 2017s out there somewhere too.

If there's an existing bike on the showroom floor, offer the lowest price you can find on Cycle Trader and be prepared to walk away if they don't budge. They may chase you down in the parking lot. LOL. If not, then you can think about it at home and decide if you want to pay more money. At the very least, try to get them to throw in some service, gear, or something. Anyway, that's my :2cents Good luck! :beerchug

·
Registered
416 Posts
Greetings! End of the month is always a good time to buy. And you'll likely get a better deal on '18s vs '19s. If you do order one, you'll likely pay full MSRP plus the dealer add on stuff. There might even still be some 2017s out there somewhere too.

If there's an existing bike on the showroom floor, offer the lowest price you can find on Cycle Trader and be prepared to walk away if they don't budge. They may chase you down in the parking lot. LOL. If not, then you can think about it at home and decide if you want to pay more money. At the very least, try to get them to throw in some service, gear, or something. Anyway, that's my :2cents Good luck! :beerchug
Agree.
And don't forget to tell them, you don't want Mr.Wallace sending the Mr.Wolf to make the deal for you or Monster Joe's will have business coming to them.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
As one who put 54,000 miles on my '12 Speed in only four years, I can say with some authority that it may be the finest all-'round, do everything ride I've ever seen. Think of it as the comfortable, reliable sport bike. There are others more powerful, except for the KTM Super Duke R, none are more comfortable.

... but then, I think the Speed is vastly better looking. But that's just me.

·
Registered
285 Posts
...a new Speed Triple?

Greetings,

I find myself spending most of my free time these last few weeks watching every youtube video and reading every article I can find on the Speed Triple.
I think this means I need to own one. Thankfully there's a seemingly reputable Triumph dealer within a hours drive of my house. I took a bobber out for a spin there once. I think the bobber might be the best looking factory stock motorcycle I've ever seen, but the riding position didn't really suit me and it wasn't a sufficient performance upgrade over my 2017 Harley Roadster to justify trading in what is basically still a new motorcycle. But it got me thinking that Triumphs are lovely. And then I saw the specs for the Speed Triple. I've never been partial to sport bikes, even though I always new that the average 650 would run circles around my 1200cc v-twin, but there's something about the Triple. It has character. I love it. And 148 horses? GTFO!!! I even appreciate the angry insectoid aesthetics. Without a doubt the best looking bike of it's class on the street.
So with that long winded prologue out of the way, is there any advice for a potential Triumph customer? My questions include:

Likely you will have to pay some form of a dealer fee and shipping charges. However, If you find a leftover, you may be able to forgo some of those fees. I live in Georgia and recently was searching for my third Triumph. After expanding my search on cycle trader, I found a great deal at Triumph of Cleveland. I ended up getting the bike shipped to me. I picked up a brand new 2016 left over Speed S for $9k plus a $200 dealer fee. In short, scour cycle trader and don't be afraid to expand the search. You may find a like new Speed RS or even a deal like what I found.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mission accomplished :)

Didn't expect to get this today. But I happened to find myself just down the street from the dealer, with some time to kill. I thought the dealer only had the 'S' and in white. But wanted to sit on the bike to get a feel. Turns out a black 'RS' had just arrived yesterday and whoever had ordered it was no longer in the market. Their loss. My gain!

Oh, and yes, it felt very good indeed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Yep, white is lighter in the sun. Take it from someone who lives in Arizona. Ha! I just traded my 2016 Thruxton R for a 2910 Crystal White Speed Triple RS and I LOVE the Speedy. I agonized over whether to go with the matte black or the white and, having had several black bikes, opted for the white. I've not regretted my decision. Plus, I found a Shoei RF-1200 helmet with a graphic (Flagger) that looks like it's custom painted to match. I had a ride buddy jokingly ask if I purchased the helmet then found a bike to match it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Sweet! I'll bet that RF-1200 looks perfect with your RS. But coincidence? Hmmm, I think not. Now if I could just track down a Shoei with some orange to coordinate with my Laguna Orange H-D Road Glide Special. But that is a very tall order. Well, I guess not everything has to match. Whoa, did I just type that "out loud"? Silly me. Of course everything has to match!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sweet! I'll bet that RF-1200 looks perfect with your RS. But coincidence? Hmmm, I think not. Now if I could just track down a Shoei with some orange to coordinate with my Laguna Orange H-D Road Glide Special. But that is a very tall order. Well, I guess not everything has to match. Whoa, did I just type that "out loud"? Silly me. Of course everything has to match!
How about this one, though may not be an exact match!
https://www.shoei-helmets.com/helmets/rf-sr.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts