with such an aggressive ride angle. So, the Speed
Triple caught my eye. I have some generic questions
and hopes some may help.

I've read nearly every review one can read online, now I
am here to get first hand accounts. You guys and gals
have always given the best advice I have found on all
the boards I visit. So here goes.......

How do you like the ride?

How is the maintenance, any issues, bugs, so forth?

Fuel econ to expect if you don't get the happy twist?

How do you like the ride angle, seat, hurt your
knees yadda, yadda.. ANYTHING else you care to
tell me about...

Lastly a bit of a specific question. I have grown very
used to the V4's engine breaking. I rode several 600cc
sport bikes inline and they offer zero engine breaking.
How is the Speed Triple in this respect?
THANKS in advance and I look forward to your
reply.....

my current steed

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Never had any particular maintenance issues on mine. Ride position and comfort was OK for me, though my lower back wasn't as happy for very long rides as with my Street Triple. Engine braking... splendid! The S3's magnificent torque for get-up-and-go is well matched with the braking effect for slow-down-or-whoa.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ive had my Speedy about 9 months, and heres my take.

The ride. This is NOT a touring bike. That being said Ive done as much as 450 mile in a day. I was a bit saddle sore, but my back and arms were fine. The readily available gel seat would probably help the sore ass.

Bugs. Only problem Ive had so far is trouble starting from a cold battery. Ive heard of a few, but havent had any problems myself.

Gas. My speedo (which has all sorts of neat info like average and current MPG) reports that I get an average of 48MPG, and im a little wheelie happy. On flat interstate at 70Mph, I can get in the high 60sMPG.

Engine Performance. Like you would expect frome something in between a four banger and a twin....its tourquey, both ON and OFF the gas. Ive broke the back end several times from heavy down shifting before I got used to it. You'll have to retrain your ears for the shift points on the triple engine.

so thats my take on things....I am ADDICTED to this bike. since march ive turned over 6500 miles. I use it for long trips and city riding. Plan on taking it to the track this summer....budget willing.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
First, that NC30 is sweet!!! I love the feel of V4s. So smooth. My first street bike was an 85 Magna VF700. I loved that bike. Unfortunately, I totalled it.

I love the ride of the Speed Triple. I like that you can leave her in one gear in the twisties and just go. Lots of torque and great mid-range. I find that the bike handles remarkably well stock. I like the individuality of the bike.

As for mechanical issues, there are some that people complain of from time to time. The first and foremost is battery. A weak battery will cause all kinds of problems. Other problems relate to noise rear hub . There may be more problems. But, I can say that I have not had problems with her.

Maintenance is very simple. Service is every 6K or so.

I've never really kept tabs on fuel economy but, I suspect it is in the 30s.

My prior bike was a Suzuki SV1000. Not a race replica but a slightly aggressive position. The Speed Triple is much more comfortable. I bought a Sargent seat and that really improved the comfort.

With regards to the engine braking. As I said before, I had a V Twin. Great engine braking. The Speed Triple does a commendable job and you can manage speed very well using the engine braking.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'M SUPER siked about the SpeedTriple! NOW,
I just have to find an owner that wants to swap
bikes. Honestly money wise the NC brings what
a 05-07 brings, given I have a street title which
makes the NC even more rare. You can find gobs
of them as track only bikes but VERY few have
titles.

I was reading yesterday about the seat height
at close to 32". How many of you guys are in
the 5ft10-11 range? To you have to tip toe or
can you still flat foot? If we had a dealer close
by I would just go drool over one but we don't:mad:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I was reading yesterday about the seat height
at close to 32". How many of you guys are in
the 5ft10-11 range? To you have to tip toe or
can you still flat foot? If we had a dealer close
by I would just go drool over one but we don't:mad:
I'm 5'10", 12 1/2 stone and sit flat footed no problemo!:cool:

·
Registered
422 Posts
The only maintenance problem I've had is the button for the trip 1/trip2/odometer is not working correctly.

The ride position is on the sporty side of neutral. Plenty of leverage at the bars. Low speed handling is still a little top heavy. If you are aggressive, it's not hard to eliminate the "chicken strips" from the rear tyre without draging the hard parts.

I get 36-38 mpg in mixed highway and street use. That is calculated from miles between fill ups. The ECU calculations are instantaneous and are just about worthless.

I ride year around. Central Ohio has a temp. range of about 20 deg F and snow to about 95 deg F and humid. They salt the roads and the center of the brake rotor bolts have some rust in them. I've done 12,000 miles since new in July 2007.

The bike is Roulette Green-it's the fastest colour.

Zip

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome!

Maybe you can update your profile in your UserCP to include your location.

Mine is older gen, I'm only 5'6" - definitely cannot flat-foot
(well one maybe!:p )
THANKS for the welcome and the reminder to
fill out my profile. Sorry I hadn't until now, I
try and do that as soon as I sign up for a new
web page.

·
Registered
191 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts