Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help.
I have a 2006 Speed Triple with 20k miles on the clock. It was working perfectly until I did a mini service. I replaced the (Triumph) fuel filter and cleaned and re-oiled (with a K&N filter cleaning kit) the BMC air filter.
Now it is hesitant on partial throttle though pulls normally when the the throttle is fully opened. It back-fires very occasionally on deceleration and can stall if I completely close the throttle at parking speeds.
There is no sucking when I open the fuel tap. When I first started it up there was a puff of back smoke but it settled.
My first assumption was that I had over-oiled the filter but after going for a 50 mile run, with several runs to the red line, it is still misbehaving. I have never cleaned a filter before but felt I was reasonably conservative with the amount of oil I applied.
I was convinced I had put the fuel filter in the right way round but now my mind is trying to convince me otherwise!
I think I know what I have to do but I'd like avoid opening both the tank and the airbox!
Where do you think the fault lies?
If the air filter IS over oiled what are my options? I'd rather keep it but would replace with OE if I have to.

·
Registered
918 Posts
That’s most likely the case. No way around it. Get a k&n air filter that’s pre-oiled and guaranteed to work for lifetime and be done with it. If taking it all apart to have your bike running properly again gives you the creeps think of us ‘12-‘19 owners whom have to use torx keys to undo an untold amount of screws around the air box, take the battery completely off, vacuum hoses off, take off the air intakes on top of throttle bodies if need to access the spark plugs.
I miss my ‘07 and ‘10 😞

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess I should count my lucky stars! I bought the BMC filter as I heard they fit better than K&N. I’ve bought an OE filter but will probably whip the current one out, take her around the block and see if the problem is solved. If it is I’ll try cleaning it again and use less oil!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Der
Should have read that before I posted!
The fuel filter in the tank.
Or explicit instruction.
Thanks for pointing that out Nicspeed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
With the pump removed, and standing up so the plate is flat, and the curved metal pipe is to the top... the arrow on the filter points down.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
And a visual to help

I'd be looking at the air-filter or for a vacuum leak. O-ring on air-filter seated correctly etc? Filter completely dry before oiling?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks chaps.
Didn’t need to remove the pump as I could see it through the filler neck and I have put it in the correct way around. I’ve changed the filter to OE and will check the coils/air box seals and try it again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts