Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

481 - 496 of 496 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
What would the radiator on the clogged mud for a long time with the purchase put the extension arm of the original.

·
Registered
82 Posts
All right, according to the instructions put on the contrary, I turned them so that it would be possible to remove the plastic without unscrewing the protection.
For protection, I think no matter how they are turned.

·
Registered
74 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sprint ST 1050 Turn Signal Mod Part 1

Had replaced my front and rear bulbs with LEDs a number of years ago, but was never completely satisfied with the brightness or distribution of light. Replaced the front with this from Amazon at the beginning of the year: https://tinyurl.com/TriumphLED. Works awesome, direct fit, very bright, LEDS on back side reflect perfectly on the back of the unit, and the LEDs on the end light up vehicles next to me so they know I'm coming over. And only $10! Highly recommend.

I also recently put these same LEDs in the rear turn signals, but it was a more complicated job since 1) it was not a direct fit (or even close) and 2) the rear lens is clear, not orange like the front, and these LEDs are only available in white light. I hadn't come across anything that was a direct fit with anywhere near the same amount of output. I think it was worth the effort and wasn't really that hard once I decided how to do it after several false starts. I'll detail what I did in my next post in a few days, with pictures.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry for the delay, you know life gets in the way at times.

The picture shows the parts used, the finished light inside and the now orange rear turn signals. Also the reflector and original lens. The LED (link in post above), the paint and chrome pen were from Amazon, the connector was from https://www.superbrightleds.com/, part #T3.25S-SP.

First thing was take apart the turn signal, disconnect the reflector/bulb holder, and remove the all original bulb holder parts from the reflector. Note that I discovered the reflector no longer reflected, the finish was mostly gone. Wasn't too concerned about it being perfect and the Chrome Pen was an easy fix and produced a surprisingly bright chrome look. In order to get the LED more in the center of the reflector, I trimmed the connector with an Exacto knife so it was just slightly longer end of the LED, being careful of the pins on the back. Then bent the pins around the connector so they pointed forward. Then I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how I was going to mount the connector to the reflector, most ideas were way too complicated and over engineered. Finally ended up using a simple glue gun, building up a bit of a base to attach to and then adding a bit more around the sides and back. Supported the LED with a thin piece of cardboard, back of LED should be about flush with the front of the reflector so the end LEDS point out the end of the turn signal. Turns out the pins on the connector are the exact size for the slip on connectors in the wire harness and there was just enough length to reach.

This LED only comes in white light and I didn't see a similar one in orange that I liked, so I initially tried putting an orange piece of plastic around the LED but that didn't work very well. Next choice was to make the turn signal lens orange. After some research I determined the Tamiya Translucent Orange made for hobbyists would likely do the trick. I taped off the edges and painted the inside with 3 light coats (it runs very easily), which got it to just the right color. Being on the inside it's protected from the elements.

I'm very happy happy with the result. Except for color, it has the original look, but much, much brighter. Taking away all my experimentation, it really would not take very long to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Got sick of carrying around a small ratchet to adjust the ST's rear preload for the missus and/or luggage every couple of days. Bought and fitted this preload adjuster knob.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Triumph-Sprint-1050-ST-Rear-Spring-Pre-Load-Adjuster/273096084748.

Took less than 5 minutes and works a treat. Very secure fit and reasonably easy to turn by hand.

Even though I don't adjust very often, and it seemed a little pricey, I got it just because it looked so well made! Very satisfied! Plus after recently getting my rear shock rebuilt by Terry at http://norwestsuspension.com/, it made riding and quickly adjusting to fine tune it for me extremely easy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good catch! I swear by these grips. Single most important ergonomic, fatigue-reducing improvement I've made to the bike. My hands used to cramp up with the minimalist Triumph grips. Yes, they're mountain bike grips, and sourced from MEC (Canadian outdoor store, similar to REI). They're the only ergonomic grips I could find that: 1./ did not have a lock ring 2./ had flat ends on both sides (to mate the bar end and control) 3./ do not have a stiff inner-liner.

They're inexpensive but you'll need to bore out the right side grip, then struggle, sweat, swear (!!) getting it onto the throttle tube, especially if you have heated grip elements affixed to the tube. Be careful to plan out the angle before pushing them on as they don't slide around once in place, and you only have minimal adjustment angle with the throttle tube clamp.

As an aside, I've tried BMW touring grips, pro-grip 761 ( thicker in the middle), along with throttle rockers and though better than stock are not nearly as good as these. I have "ergon" grips on my mountain bike, which was the inspiration. I emailed them and a few other companies to inquire about MC grips but they're not interested in expanding their market for whatever reason. Go figure.
I ordered a set of these from MEC, $9.99 CAD. I'll bore out the right one and install this weekend. I'm looking forward to less hand cramping. :smile2:

·
Registered
239 Posts
What I ment to write was " Thats one hell of a signature SpearChucker! Takes me back way too long!" Standin on the side of the road Thumb in the air!!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
What I ment to write was " Thats one hell of a signature SpearChucker! Takes me back way too long!" Standin on the side of the road Thumb in the air!!!!!
If only I knew then what I know now Westozbob, there’d at least be a couple more Triumphs on the road. ;)
BTW the grip mod was cheap, easy and made long rides way more comfortable.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sub-frame plugged ends
This is one of those mods that looks like too much bother to do for too little gain, until you suddenly wished you'd done it. The mod is to block off the ends of the rear-sub frame with a couple of cheap push-in plastic plugs. The benefit is that when you accidentally drop a seat-bolt or small tool etc onto the exhaust heat shield when the seat is off, it is going to go someplace other than down the long and skinny frame tube where its:
A/ almost impossible to see or find, and
B/ impossible to get out without removing the rear body panel.
Dont ask me how I know :cool:

Keef.
20200125_081641 frame end.jpg

481 - 496 of 496 Posts