Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again everyone,

I have a 96 adventurer and one of the carbs seems to be gummed up a little. Is it possible to just run a carb cleaner through the gas and have it open up or do I actually need to take the carb apart?

Am I going to need to do a lot of maintence on this or can you get them to be fairly trouble free?

Also the tach needle broke (have no idea on that one) can it be taken apart and replaced or can the entire tach be replaced?

Anyone seen a passenger backrest for this bike or is there any other bike that might match it in dimensions (like a thunderbird or a sporty).

Can a belt drive system be put on this bike?

I hope these are not really stupid questions but I have been very impressed with the technical expertise on this forum.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Run some Seafoam through and see what happens.

I love that stuff.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Anyone seen a passenger backrest for this bike or is there any other bike that might match it in dimensions (like a thunderbird or a sporty).
Yes there Mfr back rests, with your being the older model sub-frame (Same as T-bird and Legend) you will have a bit more success in locating one. I decided to co the other route with mine since it is the later unique rear sub-frame.

Good luck! It's a great bike and a solid engine.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Running carb cleaner for a while will open up the carbs a bit making the bike run a little better but it is my experience that removal and hand cleaning is the best way to get it right. Usually it's deposits in the pilot jet that causes the issue. Not clearing it causes poor running, but more important it causes you to run lean on the cylinder(s) which will damage them. I have the keihin's on my bike and find them easy to work on and trouble free when they are right. Count the turns in to close the pilot so you can turn them back to that point upon assembly, do not turn them in hard, just until they seat (gently) so you dont damage the needle or seat. Once you reassemble you will need to sync them. You probably have extra vibration due to this issue, that will all go away if you clean and sync, you will be amazed at just how smooth these tripples will run when you get it right.Letting a bike sit with fuel in it is what causes the issue so I put stablizer in come winter and try to run the bike every couple of weeks to move fuel through the system. I also run my bike to full running temp and a few minutes beyond. Short runs to temp will move the fuel but will leave condensation in the pipes causing them to rot from the inside. Make sure the bike gets hot all the way to the tip of the mufflers.

I would find a needle and replace it if I could, alot less pricey then a new tach.

The backrest is everyones quest, you have to look, look, look, Good luck with that, none of the other bike backrests will fit. Adventurer only.

I would skip the whole belt drive thing, so much machining and modification would be nessessary that there would be no turning back.

Once again, my 2 cents. Regards

PS; I remove the carb bank as an assembly and clean them as such, dont split them apart. Also put the same parts back where they came from, parts like these can become married and seem to work better when put in the original location.

[ This message was edited by: ecrabbit96 on 2006-12-22 07:39 ]

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
I have a 96 adventurer and one of the carbs seems to be gummed up a little. Is it possible to just run a carb cleaner through the gas and have it open up or do I actually need to take the carb apart?
Carb cleaner will help a bit but takes considerable time to dissolve varnish and has the potential to plug the carbs up solid if used wrong on really dirty carbs. If there's a bunch of cr*ap in the bowls stuck fast with varnish, the carb cleaner can dissolve the varnish and release the cr*ap into the carbs. Not a good thing. (Experience... :-D )

Remove the carbs, pull the bowls, inspect them and clean them out with solvent and Q-Tips.

Remove the pilot jets, hold them up to a light and inspect them with a magnifier. Look through the bore from both ends. Clean jets will have a 'machined' look and dirty ones will have a 'fuzzy' or 'organic' look to the bore.

I use a piece of 14 ga. stranded copper wire for cleaning the pilots since the copper is softer than the brass of the jet. Soak the jets in solvent for a while and then use the wire as a brush to scrape out the crud. Separate one strand of the wire to poke out the crud in the narrow part and examine with the magnifier again.

You have to remove ALL the crud so it might require a couple more soak and scrub cycles if they're really nasty.

Am I going to need to do a lot of maintence on this or can you get them to be fairly trouble free?
Pilot jet crud is the result of letting the bike sit too long. Ride it regularly and the jets will stay clean.

Also, I use premium brand-name fuel at every fill up. Folks will argue with this, but I personally think it helps keep the carbs clean.

Also the tach needle broke (have no idea on that one) can it be taken apart and replaced or can the entire tach be replaced?
A good instrument shop should be able to replace or repair the needle. The only problem is that instrument shops are few and far between.

You'd probably do better purchasing a used instrument cluster on E-bay since my guess is that the replacement tacho woud be $400-600 from Triumph.

The alternative would be a digital unit like one of those from Dakota Digital. Take a look at my photo album (clicky below.) I installed one of their speedos to replace my crushed one, so there are some pics that will give you an idea of the installation.

They're about as rare as chicken lips. Good luck! :-D

Can a belt drive system be put on this bike?
TexasTri has one installed and it's a work of art -- it looks like it was designed into the bike at the factory.

I hope these are not really stupid questions but I have been very impressed with the technical expertise on this forum.
The only stupid questions are the ones we fail to ask. :-D

Jim

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yes, I did the belt drive from Quiet Power Drive. Talk to Oz, the owner, he is a good guy. If he has not done one for the Adventurer then you may need to be willing to work with him on it. I was his first Legend and it took a little tweaking as he did not have the bike to look at, but we got it right and I have been very happy.

·
Registered
341 Posts
On 2006-12-22 07:32, ecrabbit96 wrote:
The backrest is everyones quest, you have to look, look, look, Good luck with that, none of the other bike backrests will fit. Adventurer only.
Not true, they changed the rear sub-frame in '99, before that they were the same as the the T-Bird and Legend. Unfortunately with the 99-01 models the rear sub-frame became unique and it became much harder to find the saddle bag mounts and sissy bars (but I found the old 80's KG sissy bars would work with a little modifications to the bolt hole sizes)

Anyway, Good Luck!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does that mean that parts that fit a thunderbird (95 -99) will fit an adventurer. I ask because Corbin still sells a seat for this bike which has a backrest built in!!!

All this information is great.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does that mean that parts that fit a thunderbird (95 -99) will fit an adventurer. I ask because Corbin still sells a seat for this bike which has a backrest built in!!!

All this information is great.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Look at the photos from my post under "where have all the seats gone" and you will see the two frames from an early Adv and the 99 up. You can see the frame difference is really just an ear that was added to support the new fender rails. The mounting point for the backrest on the early model is incorporated into the 99 up rails. I own a 2001 and it has a 96 backrest mounted on it. Fits like it was made for it. None of the others look the same.Prior post

[ This message was edited by: ecrabbit96 on 2006-12-26 08:54 ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts