Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I had my fork seals and dust caps replaced by the dealer and picked the bike up yesterday. On the drive home it looked like there were leaking as I kept seeing drops of fork oil around the dust seals. I stopped about 5 miles from home to run some errands and grabbed a hand full of paper towels and wiped them off and cleaned them up and then continued home. When I got home I grabbed the flashlight and looked again it appeared like there was a small amount of fork oil around the dust seals where they are set in but the forks looked clean and had no oil on them.

At this point I am a little confused as it if the fork seals are leaking or not and I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced anything like this before I drive the hour to the dealer and leave my bike for anther week so they can look at it.

Thanks
Hunter

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
You may be seeing grease that was used to assemble them.
Give it a day or two of riding to be sure.
You can lift the dust cap to see how much grease may be there also.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
You may be seeing grease that was used to assemble them.
Give it a day or two of riding to be sure.
You can lift the dust cap to see how much grease may be there also.
+1 on that

It'l likely just be they left the top of the new seals / bottom of the wiper a little oily. If it doesnt clear up within a day or two of riding - or gets worse then I would take it back for them to look at.

·
Registered
472 Posts
you can remove the dust seal easily to check after a good day of riding....stuff some paper towels and dab up any oil. Pop the dust seal back on and take it for a ride..if there is any oil, they did not set them in correctly.....pretty common with some of the hacks the dealers are calling mechanics these days. If the tech didn't closely inspect your forks for any kind of small pitting or rust which can immediatly cause a leak, or when they drive the new oil seals down and don't use equal force or a driver that is not made for our fork size, a leak can happen again immediatly. I would call the dealer and advise them of your issue ASAP. Tell them that you'll drive it for a couple of days to see if this issue continues. It's better to let them know and take down who you talked to and the time so you have something to go back on when you explain to them they will be putting new ones free......

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys

I called and told the dealer and talked to the mechanic. He said to give it a couple days and if there was any oil on the forks to bring it back up.

I checked today and it all seemed ok.

Thanks guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts