Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Driftless Admin
11,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I realize that the triumph skidplates are really just vanity items. Decoration for the bike to make it look like we might ride somewhere dangerous, but really they offer little to no protection.

Still, I would expect them to be able to survive a couple rides down a gravel road.

I have one I was able to get used and cheap, and I install it before longer trips if I expect to be off-road much. Every little bit helps I guess and I've hit my sump on enough rocks that I know I'm testing my luck.

But twice now the front mounting bracket has broken on me, for no apparent reason other than it is not able to handle engine vibrations and some wind. There are no dents on the plate, it hasn't been banged on anything.

That's a $20 item that breaks. This one was brand new when it went on the last week of August. It survived about 5 weeks :mad:

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? I guess I'll buy another one and then bring it the local welder guys and see if they can't make it a bit less fragile.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts

·
Driftless Admin
11,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Page 5 of owners manual:

This motorcycle is designed for on-road
use only. It is not suitable for off-road use.

And yes, this includes the "Scrambler"...:)

Seriously though, the bracket seems to be fitted behind the downtubes link plate. In the instructions it appears to show it fitted in front:

http://shop.peterstevens.com.au/documents/productpdf/A9708190.pdf
Oh sure, try and make it be my fault :D

The bracket is mounted on the front of that plate. It's deceiving since the bike is so embarrassingly dirty, but that front piece is the piece of the bracket, with a sharp edge from the break.

Since I had broken one of those already, I fitted everything loose first and tightened everything up slowly to make sure there wasn't undue stress on that thing. There sure didn't seem to be.

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts
Out of curiosity, was that one a Triumph part or a TEC part?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Have a Triumph one on my Thruxton with about 20k on it and a TEC one on the Bonneville with about 3k, No problens with either. They provide a bit of stone/road debris protection for the engine and starter. Not really for seroius off road. The Triumph one is a little better finished.

good enough for the occasional gravel road

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
It's made of aluminum and full of holes, it is pretty much a deco piece (one of the 1st things I installed BTW) 2 things I hate about is that it offers NO Protection for the oil filter or the oil cooler. That being said I have had no trouble with mine now and it has close to 16k on it except the Allen Bolts kept striping out as I remove it often when I change oil or wheels etc.. anything on the lift so I finally replaced them with Hex Bolts and no trouble since..

I did make a screen to protect the oil cooler as it being right behind the front wheel open like it is is a bad idea.

·
Registered
313 Posts

·
Driftless Admin
11,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yes, I see it now. That metal fold, has it got any stiffening indents, this sort of thing?:

Nothing like that. The metal seemed pretty stout and I was really surprised the second one broke.

Not sure what a welder could to for it, there's really not much room. Maybe just fab a new one from heavier metal. It is worrisome that I'm the only one with the problem. My frame is probably cracked and flexing or something horrible.

Out of curiosity, was that one a Triumph part or a TEC part?
It's the Triumph one.

2 things I hate about is that it offers NO Protection for the oil filter or the oil cooler.
Yeah, it stops right at the leading edge of the filter, It would be way better if it extended farther back. I mean, you have to remove it anyways for an oil change.

The oil cooler is pretty well protected by the front wheel really, that's not something I'm going to worry about.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had the same problem with mine on my 2014 Bonneville T100. The bracket broke in the first 1000km. I made another with same gauge metal and it broke in the same place. I have now made a mount from a rubber jewelers block and have no problem after 6000km.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyone know what size of bolts are used for the skid plate into mounting brackets? The allen bolts on mine are stripped so I'd like to replace them.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Hi Bonnieblack,
It looks like poor design that’s badly executed.

The fold is far too sharp, and situated right at the point of maximum concentration of vibration.
A fold that sharp will leave stress concentration points at the corners of the fold, and probably will have marks left by the tool where a crack can start.
It is likely that the bracket was not heat treated after bending, to remove work hardening and stress induced during the bending process.
Even from the photo you can see where the metal was stretched on the outside of the bend and compressed on the inside, you can see there is a line diwn the middle of the crack, indicating a stress fracture..

Regards
Peg.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts