Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been addressed but I have to ask. On my 05 T-100 I have removed the AI emission *****, put on after market pipes (pretty much straight through), installed a uni filter, trimmed the snorkle and put in 120 main jets. The bike idles great, pulls hard, no popping on excelleration. Most of the power seems to come on after 3,500 to 4,000 rpm but there is no real noticable flat spot. The only problem seems to be a popping on complete Decellleration; for example pulling up to a stop light. As I approach the light and I'm off the throttle the exhaust will gurgle and there will be some popping. The light turns green and she pulls real hard when I get on the throttle, no popping sound. I work with an old school Harley guy who says this is what a basically unbaffled bike sounds like. Thoughts?

·
Registered
79 Posts
My thoughts are, first I rarely here a HD run well,second the popping on deceleration is usually caused by a lean pilot mixture.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
get a D-shaped tool from newbonneville.com and play with your idle mixture.

Some popping is ok, as I've found that once I tune out all of the popping it's too rich and runs like sh!t off idle (at 1/8 throttle, like pulling away from a light).

You may want to turn your idle mixture screws out 1/4 turn, but mine pops a little on decel and I'm fine with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. I have the D-shaped tool and I've been trying to find the right setting. I actually carry the tool when I'm riding so I can make adjustments as I go. I have been able to reduce the popping and I too am fine with it. Perhaps this winter I'll play around with the jetting and see if anything eliminates it. I've been riding it like this for months now and I just wanted to get some feedback. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I also have the popping on decelleration. I noticed it after I removed the air box and rejetted. It pulls hard and accelerates great and of course loud pipes make it more noticable too. I kind of like it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
It's one of the best sounds in the world.
Couldn't agree more. In fact, that's probably the main reason I haven't pulled the AI off.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Mine never popped on decel, even with the VERY loud Specialty Spares Peashooter system...until I removed the airbox, installed NH Togas AND had it set up on the dyno with EGA. Once it was set to the proper pilot mixture, it pops on decel...it doesn't bother me so I have never changed it since I know the mixture is where it is supposed to be.

Larry

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think the popping is standard when we start messing, i took off AI, fitted TOR's fitted 120 mains, and now i have a little popping on deceleration, sounds good to me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts