Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, i have an 04 thruxton, ai removed, tors fitted and everything else as Hinckley intended.
i`ve read on here that the popping on decel is a "lean pop" and can be cured by adjusting the idle screw and also if you dial out the pop then its to rich :???:
thing is, i quite like the popping and it does`nt do it all the time anyway so was wondering if it will do any damage, i don`t want to wreak the engine all for the sake of a cool pop on the over run. cheers.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
You have something wrong-these bikes should not do that when tuned correctly.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I'm going to disagree with the above, while popping on decel is a lean condition I don't believe you can really get rid of it and have the bike properly tuned regarding air/fuel ratio.

Have your bike put on a dyno and get a baseline run with a/f ratio included..you should beable to get this done for about 30.00. Ask for a reading at cruising
speed's as well.

·
Registered
173 Posts
They will pop on decel, and IMO it's fine.
Yup, and it sounds great :)

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
and one of life's small pleasures is it scares the christ out of any cage your passing :-D

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
So sorry poppinheads you guys are all wrong-there is no popping in a well tuned engine on decel. You have your opinion and I have mine and I am right. I think. Just because you guys can't tune your bikes properly doesnt make you right. Sorry for you.

[ This message was edited by: HiVel on 2007-03-03 20:33 ]

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
LOL - always funny to watch one of these threads.

From the factory with a bone-stock set up, these bikes will generally not pop on decel. The trick comes when you start monkeying with that set up... which everyone thinks they MUST do. New pipes, different jets, AI removals, airbox mods, and pod filters all generally result in a pop condition.

It took the Triumph engineers a lot of work to get the system design just right :idea: - and you just went and screwed it up. Way to go! :-D

The b**** is that with CV carbs, you are going to have to do some major tweaking to eliminate it. With their vacuum-driven design, they are something of a PIA to get set just right. It'll probably take you a lot of shimming, jetting and dyno time to get it right. After modding cams, jets, and the airbox, I lucked into mine on the T-Bird with 4 jet changes, 3 dyno checks and finally a new exhaust header...

Good luck, and in the meantime, try to learn to love it. These bikes are pretty darn durable, you probably wont kill the valve train.... :-x

[ This message was edited by: cafetbird on 2007-03-04 05:39 ]

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow , two schools of thought here on this subject . when i bought my 04 it was stock except for TOR's and it did pop on decel. After I did the AI removal , BC Airbox removal ,rejetted, shimmed and drilled out the slide all popping disappeared and the bike ran much smoother .

Mild popping indicates a lean condition but a normal one for the factory setup as they are setup lean and as long as you aren't experiencing any pinging or detonation it is not harmful.

That being said , the popping can be completely eliminated with the proper tuning .

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
They don't pop from the factory because of all of the dam baffles stuck in the cans! Theres a good 7 lbs of baffling in each can, no shite.

BTW, with any open exhaust you will never get totally rid of the pop, unless you are pig-rich on the pilot. :pkit:

If you go to a 42 pilot it will help you without going too rich, stockers are 40.

Greg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for all your advice and opinions guys. i have rung the dealers and they said bring it in and they will have a look. as i said, i quite like the pop but don`t want to burn valves or pistons. when the bike is cold and the weather is really cold it does`nt tick over very well until it gets warm, then its ok so it probably is a bit lean since i fitted the tors.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I don't know which is right or wrong... popping or no popping... but I likes me a little popping. I know that much. :cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
On 2007-03-04 11:14, Whitehurst wrote:
Mine pop on decel in high altitudes - but I believe it is normal for bubs. On the other hand, I know for a fact they could be jetted better, which will be done soon.
check for air leaks at the header to Bubs silencers

1 - 20 of 27 Posts