Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had got the Arrow slip ons installed a few months back and I noticed there's a popping sound when I decel usually around 4-5k rpms. I asked the dealer if the Map loaded properly and he said it did. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm only concerned because I'm worried its effecting the bikes performance

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine also pops, popped heaps before i got the arrow map, then got the map and only reduced it slightly. It's one of my favourite things about the arrows, sounds awesome.

I don't believe it has any ill effects, just makes everyone look at you funny!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Happens with my Werkes lowboy also... sounds awesome. I can get the werkes to pop in every gear on the way down, one of the best parts of the aftermarket exhaust. Don't worry about it, just enjoy it. :D

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
You can reduce some of the popping by using premium fuel, if your not already.
Worked on my Tiger.

·
Registered
926 Posts
That is the sound of pure awesome. On the way back to my hotel from the AMA races in New Orleans on Saturday, I downshifted to slow for a light and the Arrow's did their music, I look over and Danny Eslick (#69, EBR1190 rider) is looking at me with a big smile. If that's not an endorsement, I don't know what is!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
It does that with my TORs and the TOR map.. It's normal . You shouldn't worry about it . It's actually kind of a characteristic to the bike . It'll do it with the stock pipes but they do a better job of muffling it up .

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I the Leo Vince GPs and they popped something wicked until I got the Arrow map installed. Now they do it just the right amount. The sound is pure sex.

Im not sure what sounds I like better, going fast or slowing down????

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
You can reduce some of the popping by using premium fuel, if your not already.
Worked on my Tiger.
Most of the popping is from the PAIR system injecting air into the exhaust ports to ignite unburnt fuel in the exhaust. It is an emissions thing, increasing your fuel octane has no effect on the system.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've been wondering about this, my bike does it too. But I don't think it sounds like sex, just farts.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Removing the annoying 'popping' on the overrun is one of the main reason for the removal of the Secondary Air Injection on the Speed Triples. I guess it must be the same system on the Streets?

Here are some pictures of the removal of the SAI on my personal SIII

Note 1: When removing the SAI, the function must also be switched off in the map via TuneECU otherwise a Malfunction Idicator Light (Engine Check Light) will be thrown up. Ordinarily, no changes are required in the fueling tables to compensate for the change.

Note 2: The SAI is purely an emissions control device intended to clean up the exhaust gasses by super-heating them immediately upon ejection from the engine--thereby creating 'blueing' of the header pipes on some of the air-cooled twins. It also has a secondary function of heating the Catalytic Converter thereby making it more efficient. As a result, most owners remove both emissions devices as a pair.

HTH

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
The air injection system (for emissions) kicks in below 6000 rpm and makes the bike sound racy IMO. Disabling it is of dubious benefit and not worth the bother, and is also illegal. If the high mount exhaust is loud then the popping sounds even nicer if you use earplugs. - Wayne

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Why should disabling the SAI be illegal? This is certainly not the case here in South Africa. BTW: My opinion I know, but I much prefer the bike without the annoying popping!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
By the word of the law in the US doing anything to the emissions which includes replacing or modifying your stock exhaust is "illegal"

Which includes Wayne's DanMoto fart cans :D

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Most of the popping is from the PAIR system injecting air into the exhaust ports to ignite unburnt fuel in the exhaust. It is an emissions thing, increasing your fuel octane has no effect on the system.

Yes it does. Not sure of the math of why it makes a difference but It does.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
By the word of the law in the US doing anything to the emissions which includes replacing or modifying your stock exhaust is "illegal"

Which includes Wayne's DanMoto fart cans :D

That would make the billion or so Harley riders breaking the law.
I'd say a large number of the other makes bikes on the road are illegal as well.
Personally, I wouldn't sweat it.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
That would make the billion or so Harley riders breaking the law.
I'd say a large number of the other makes bikes on the road are illegal as well.
Personally, I wouldn't sweat it.
Yup, and since my bike has a full system, no CAT, blocked/removed PAIR, and no O2 sensor, that would also include mine.

It was simply the answer to a question asked by a rider outside of the US as to why Wayne would say it was illegal. While rarely enforced it is in fact correct and never implied that anyone should "sweat it". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
904 Posts
That's why I like the Arrow twin cans, with the db killer installed they are DOT legal, and EU certified as well. Baffles come out in 5 seconds if one wants to partake in that glorious after-run burble.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have the LeoV slip-ons, and it does the same thing when closing the throttle...The popping noise is not really big and is not something that is going to screw with the engine....I think it sounds awesome at high RPM's!

:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts