Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got in from the garage and I'm still fecking thawing out,I need advice please.

Does anybody have a clue as to what make this reg/rec may be ? No markings/numbers to be seen - I think I may be heading along the mosfet route if I cant identify it.

I'm slowly uncovering a raft of issues with this bike,I've been investigating why main beam doesn't work and found this (hopefully the photo has picked it up ),the headlight casing has fractured unrelated to the main beam but still bloody annoying

I took the plunge and removed all fairings to also reveal a huge oil leak - location unknown as yet as I've spent most of the afternoon cleaning things up in a vain attempt to see where it's coming from.Revealing as well this wiring wearing through...

So all in all I'm adding these things to the long list of stuff to do.Just before I finally caved and admitted defeat for the day I did spy some brown parcel tape around some wiring under the fuel tank peeping out ! This naturally tipped me over the edge and to cries of F**K it I've left it to freeze its treble cylinders the swine :(

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Seems very much as the stock one (shunt RR).
I copy here what I answered lately to another thread:

Better double check the charging system and maybe put a series RR. Shindengen SH847 for instance. You'll need an adapter cable set like triumph ref T2500676 .
You may want to find a cheaper SH775 if you never run the engine above 9k rpm and you don't add a ton of power consumer on you bike. A used one from a Polaris for instance. That's what I did.

Be sure to buy a genuine Shindengen. Not one of the fakes we can see everywhere.

You may want to read that.

Regarding your crack in the headlight, you may want to look at that video:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the pointers/videos/help - very much appreciated.
My main beam not working is a corroded and snapped wire from the lighting switch to the loom !

The way it has snapped has made things really awkward - see here

Any ideas who may sell another one of these ? It's one of the wired ends from the female part of the loom plug .I've managed to get it out but its not reusable !

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Since you are in england allow me to direct you to auto-click. It may take some time to find the right one though. But there is a wealth of connectors on this site.
Already used them for automotive and for making the RR adapter cable.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can I also ask a "daft" question please ? My rear hugger is slightly loose and so far I can see 4 allen head bolts that appear to attach it to the frame ? It's not immediately apparent how to remove this,can any body assist please ? The one obvious given is that the bolts are absolutely seized solid !

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I don't see threaded holes on the horizontal machined portion (shining alloy) of the swing arm!!! That's a surprise.
Do you want the pattern to drill and thread them?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think it holds OK - but thanks for the offer.Had a productive day but then got stalled with this

Doesn't look too bad from a distance

let's zoom in on the wiring that was replaced by a shop........ see below

Lord only knows what I'll find next ! Good job I like to give my bike a once over

·
Registered
375 Posts
I don't see threaded holes on the horizontal machined portion (shining alloy) of the swing arm!!! That's a surprise.
Do you want the pattern to drill and thread them?
Fred,
My '06 does not have drilled threaded holes in that location on the swingarm but my Skidmarx hugger came with a metal bracket that fit under the hugger and then attached to the swingarm. It's a very solid mount so perhaps he has the same Skidmarx.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts