Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I exchanged gifts on Christmas eve this year.
She thoughtfully ordered and gave me the Monza style gas filler I mentioned I wanted a few months back. We are very disappointed in the poor chrome finish of the part. It's brass which is usually an easy material to chrome plate. Anyone else had problems with this item or know where we can get a decent part? I would expect better quality control over a part we were charged $159.00 for... :rolleyes:
It really looks bad in person.

·
29,948 Posts
Well, it looks to me like it's not the plating that's at fault, it's that the surface preparation of the cap wasn't good enough first. Net result is the same though, so I'm nit picking. Very disappointing.

I understand there are a couple of different ones out there. I use the Triumph locking gas cap (which I don't lock) because I like the look of it better.

I reckon a polished brass one would look pretty good on your bike XC.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My Monza Cap was perfect. No sign of faulty chrome.

As you know...the tank opening is already quite small....and the Monza Cap made it even more difficult to insert the fuel nozzle. Ended up removing the Monza Cap....looks cool but a PITA.:confused:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.
I see now where Bella Corse sells the same cap for $20. less so I'll just return this one and order another from Bella Corse. I like the idea of the polished brass cap Prop but I haven't seen that option available. Just chrome over brass or polished aluminum. The bike has a lot of chrome so a chrome cap makes sense too.

Merry Christmas, :D
Xchoppers

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Thanks guys.
I see now where Bella Corse sells the same cap for $20. less so I'll just return this one and order another from Bella Corse. I like the idea of the polished brass cap Prop but I haven't seen that option available. Just chrome over brass or polished aluminum. The bike has a lot of chrome so a chrome cap makes sense too.

Xchoppers
How much thread difference between a Bonnie cap and say,a HD cap? I know my Toyota Corolla [1992] cap screws right on and clicks down on the Bonnie.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I`ve seen the "Monza" style cap,like that one,in several different sites,for several different makes of bikes.I was just wondering if there were other sources available.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I received a Monza cap for Christmas as well and was surprised to see the poor quality in the chrome finish. It's unfortunate that I have to live with it as it was a gift and I don't want to disappoint the person who bought it for me by asking them to return it. It's still better than removing the old cap and running the risk of it dropping on the ground. Kudos to Brent as my mother-in-law isn't the easiest person to deal with over the phone.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I received a Monza cap for Christmas as well and was surprised to see the poor quality in the chrome finish. It's unfortunate that I have to live with it as it was a gift and I don't want to disappoint the person who bought it for me by asking them to return it. It's still better than removing the old cap and running the risk of it dropping on the ground. Kudos to Brent as my mother-in-law isn't the easiest person to deal with over the phone.
Does yours look like mine?

Removing the chrome is not easy to do without ruining the brass part underneath unless it's done chemically and chemicals would ruin the rubber gasket in the lid.

A rotary wire brush would easily gouge the soft brass under the hard chrome surface.

The company my wife purchased it from (a Triumphrat advertiser) is not answering their phones today but they seldom do anyway... :rolleyes:
Guess we'll have to wait for them to answer our email...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Does yours look like mine?

Removing the chrome is not easy to do without ruining the brass part underneath unless it's done chemically and chemicals would ruin the rubber gasket in the lid.

A rotary wire brush would easily gouge the soft brass under the hard chrome surface.

The company my wife purchased it from (a Triumphrat advertiser) is not answering their phones today but they seldom do anyway... :rolleyes:
Guess we'll have to wait for them to answer our email...
Here's mine Xchoppers. I tried buffing out these areas but no go. Like I said, I'll probably keep my cap as it was a gift. You would think that they would scrutinize the product a bit better before sending it.

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad chrome. I bought mine from http://www.mototwin.co.uk/ (not cheap) and the chrome was fine. No problems with it, although on reflection I'd probably have chosen the alloy one just because it's less blingy. I stopped shopping at NH due to bad chrome and too high prices. But I'm sure whoever you got it from will replace it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks guys.

Xchoppers
I think the brass cap that Prop is referring to is on newbonneville.com, but it isn't a monza style...that sux about the finish of yours, especially for that price

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Turns out they all have flaws and the manufacturer chromes right over them :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure the same manufacturer supplies the cap part to everyone and they, in turn, supply their own variation of adapter.
I'm getting a aluminum filler this time so I can re-work it as necessary. I would have preferred a chrome unit but I don't want one with flaws... I'll polish it up like chrome. :cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts