Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a push to internationally standardise time, as everyone has already done for weight & distance (except the Poms & Americans), trouble is, it will mean the retirement of GMT (UTC) and the French will become the caretakers. Predictably, the Poms aren't impressed by the suggestion and continue to watch Big Ben tilt.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-03/time-for-change-gmt-could-be-history/3617226

·
Banned
4,433 Posts
I don't think it likely. Disconnecting the clock from Earth's rotation is like deliberately going back to the pre-Julian Roman calendar, separating date from season.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
So in 1200 years midnight would be noon and they'd be a call to change it again. Hardly worth the bother. The Chinese don't want it either so it's not going to happen, or they will call in all their loans and we'd all be winding up cuckoo clocks, which would be appropriate.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I still won't wear a watch. If the Sun is low in the East, it's morning. If it's high in the sky it's around Noon. If it's low in the West it's afternoon. Duh.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think it likely. Disconnecting the clock from Earth's rotation is like deliberately going back to the pre-Julian Roman calendar, separating date from season.
You don't think we already live in a disconnected World?

H

·
0 Posts
I still won't wear a watch. If the Sun is low in the East, it's morning. If it's high in the sky it's around Noon. If it's low in the West it's afternoon. Duh.
I believe it was an argument over day light savings time where Ben Franklin responded to an old farmer claiming daylight savings time "was not God's time" . Where as Ben is said to respond "I didn't know God had a watch".

I think that is close. Any way it won't matter when zombies, volcanos, metiers, plague, war, earth rotation, climate change and over population bring time to a stand still.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
So in 1200 years midnight would be noon and they'd be a call to change it again. Hardly worth the bother. The Chinese don't want it either so it's not going to happen, or they will call in all their loans and we'd all be winding up cuckoo clocks, which would be appropriate.
" Vive le difference "

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I do love the complete and utter misunderstanding of science in the media. What a load of poppycock.

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
Hey Guys my watch keeps going out of time with everyone else, Do you mind if we just make my watch the offical time and everyone can synch to that to save me some hassle?

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Spank your watch must be slow , your 9 hours behind us in Queensland ! Maybe we should put the Greeks in charge ?? :rolleyes:
Nine hours behind QLD? That puts him in the Jurassic period doesn't it?

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
So it sounds to me like they're essentially arguing whether to do a leap second every year to year and a half vs doing a leap minute every 60-90 years. I don't think the average human will notice either way.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ha Ha - The Poms retaliate

The French may win the title of "Guardians of the Time", but it's unlikely they'll win English affection.

An American tourist in London decides to skip his tour group and explore the city on his own. He wanders around, seeing the sights, occasionally stopping at a quaint pub to soak up the local culture, chat with the locals, and have a pint of bitter.
After a while, he finds himself in a very nice neighbourhood with big, stately residences...no pubs, no stores, no restaurants, and worst of all NO PUBLIC TOILETS.
He really, really has to go, after all those Guinnesses. He finds a narrow side street, with high walls surrounding the adjacent buildings and decides to use the wall to solve his problem.
As he is unzipping, he is tapped on the shoulder by a London police officer, who says, "I say, sir, you simply cannot do that here, you know."
"I'm very sorry, officer," replies the American, "but I really, really have to go, and I just can't find a public toilet."
"Ah, yes," said the policeman..."Just follow me". He leads the American through a back delivery alley to a gate, which he opens.
"In there," points the policeman. "Go ahead sir, anywhere you like."
The fellow enters and finds himself in the most beautiful garden he has ever seen. Manicured grass lawns, statues, fountains, sculptured hedges, and huge beds of gorgeous flowers, all in perfect bloom.
Since he has the policeman's blessing, he relieves himself and feels much more comfortable. As he goes back through the gate, he says to the police officer, "That was really decent of you... is that what you call English hospitality?"
"No sir...", replied the police officer, "...that is what we call the French Embassy."

H

·
0 Posts
Boldor. To funny. Seems strange to read every English speaking countryman's feelings toward the French. As a youngster I thought all French woman looked like Brigitte Bardot. And, that the only conversation with a Frenchman you could have always ended with "we give up".
Then I learned the English had hauled a couple thousand French folk down from Canada and tossed their butts off into the swamps of Lousiana thus creating Cajon food. Thank you English guys.

Now you guys want to pee in the French gardens and wont let the French control time. Yet, you never once mention here that you allowed the French to be the keppers of measurements. That sucks.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
I was in Paris in August, really enjoyed it again, even saw the final stage of the Tour de France and a whole lot of Triumphs parked near my hotel. We also have a lot of French members on the site and I'm sure they are not overly bothered about where time starts and ends.

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
As a youngster I thought all French woman looked like Brigitte Bardot. And, that the only conversation with a Frenchman you could have always ended with "we give up".
hey, at least you were half right.

Yet, you never once mention here that you allowed the French to be the keppers of measurements. That sucks.
well, we weren't going to but then we discovered things sound bigger in centimeters...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts