Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an awesome video from a guy in Austrailia with a complete how to on polishing your thruxton. I have begun on my thruxton.
For warning it starts off a little goofy. lol
here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhzGE5dLcmM
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

[ This message was edited by: jkieler on 2007-03-12 13:54 ]

·
Registered
349 Posts
That Dude also has a couple of other vids. on utub. Very entertaining.

Anyone out there who has polished before recommend his method? Looks easy. But Im sure it takes a lot of time and elbow grease.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Haven't checked the video but polishing takes plenty time!! You also need quite a bit of kit (various fobs, different compounds, and a spindle polisher). I did my forks myself but am not prepared to go through all that again on the side covers so I'm sending them to the professionals. The labour quote is ridiculously inexpensive in South Africa but it would probably be expensive State side.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are some pics for help. Oh by the way I recommend that you have the technical manual for your bike.

This is my recommended stripper

Follow instruction on stripper can
This is my Crank Cover after I went down on Peet gravel at about 11:30 pm. Didn't see it until I was already on top of it sh** happens.

Here is the current state of it still we sanding it.

Some of them scratches were a little deeper then I expected, but no biggy. It's not like I can ride the bike now any ways here in Wisconsin. Snow and Ice every where. :hammer: :hammer:

Equipment I am using is
:hammer: :hammer:
This is the cutting buffer wheel 8inch
This is the final stage 8in loose buffing wheel. These tools came from Harbor Frieght.

Wet sanding with 400 grit by hand.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After I get done wet sanding these pieces to my satisfaction I will begin buffing process. I use the brown buffing compond with the cutting buffer wheel, and the white aluminum compound for the final stages loose buffing wheel...
I have a picture of the completed Chain Sprocket Cover.

Here's another Image of my 8 INCH buffer/grinder it is a 3/4 horse 3500rpm buffer made by CENTRAL MACHINERY INDUSTRIAL
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PROJECTS OUT THERE :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
JEREMY

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: hard at it. Oh a bit of advise for anyone that plans on doing this. put cardboard or something to pad the floor below your work area. You want to do this in case you have your part slip out of your hands while buffing.
Sh** happens!!!! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Dude-

Thanks for the pics. I think that I may take on the challenge. Once I get my Thruxton that is.

Is this the same process that that one would do for the forks?

Thanks again jkieler for the info and pics.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Say........

When you guys put the shinny covers back on did you reuse the old gasket or got a new one?

Thanks

·
Registered
349 Posts
[/quote]

Stripped and polished mine right on the engine. But you will need a new gasket if you remove.
[/quote]

After polishing cover wile on the bike, do you think it would be easer off, or less fuss with without removing them? Im guessing you have a lift for your bike.

·
Registered
128 Posts
On 2007-02-20 18:26, Thrux-ton-up wrote:
After polishing the altenator cover - you will need a new patent plate - Vintage Triumph ones work great - perfect fit - my cover after polishing with plate installed.
John
OK, so....Triumph dealer or internet source?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
On 2007-02-20 18:19, Sprint_Dude wrote:
Dude-

Thanks for the pics. I think that I may take on the challenge. Once I get my Thruxton that is.

Is this the same process that that one would do for the forks?

Thanks again jkieler for the info and pics.
Pretty much. After stripping the paint, wet sanded with:
400, 600, 800 than 1000 grit wet sandpaper.
Buffed on the machine with two componds, finish with Jewelers rouge. I use either Eastwood or Caswell for supplies. Caswell also sells vintage Whitworth fastener supplies & tools, so I'm loyal to them.

Polished Forks Web Album

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Never Reuse the gaskets on the clutch cover and Crank/Alternator cover. Besides they are pretty cheap. I think they are only about $6.00 for each side.

Check with your local dealer :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

1 - 20 of 103 Posts