Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey evry one thxs for reading,ok so wanna start cleaning my 84 tr6r engine up as much as possible!So im kinda lookin for any advice on this what do u use?i was thinkin from readin the specs that all the side covers are aluminum so could i use a lite treatment of wheel cleaning acid to clean&polish or is there a better way?thxs in advance for any advice on this:):):)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I`d keep the acid cleaner away from any of the fasteners or anything other than the aluminum if you don`t want any problems with corrosion.Maybe try just the polish first and see what kind of a result you get before taking drastic measures.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I made my side panels from an old baking tray. After spending a few hours pounding them into shape with a hammer! I set about giving them a polish, being a far from idea surface to polish I had to get heavy handed with them using everything from a file to 1200 grit wet and dry this gives you the general idea.
Don't be too impatient it can take hours upon hours to get a good finish.

·
Premium Member
9,528 Posts
I use a drill with a flexibile drive shaft, and a 4" polishing mop.

It's pretty good but a bit of a handful, plus my cases weren't too bad to start with.

I use a mix of compounds that came withe the mops, ands solvol autosol

·
Registered
130 Posts
I use a hand held grinder with a cotton polishing wheel on it when I don't want to remove the covers. When the covers are off I use a bench grinder with a cotton polishing wheel.
For chemicals I use autosol.
It does a decent job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts