Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on polishing engine and gear box outer casing? I have polished up the outer casing with a 3M scowler buff and it really looks good and was done very easily.

Any ideas to add, I thought it may be a good idea to spray a coat of clear over it to seal it in. What do you think?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I would leave it bare metal, it will dull over time but a light polish with Solvol Autosol or similar will bring the shine back.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Use a buffing pad on a bench grinder w/ polishing rouge. The aluminum will polish up nicely. I would hesitate putting clear coat on it as the clear may yellow or peal w/ age.
Or you can use rubbing compound and buff by hand or a small buffer wheel on a drill or angle grinder .

Attachments

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hey Ahobie17 that sure looks good. Thanks for sharing.

I have a pre unit, so the shapes and areas are slightly different that are exposed. The timing cover and gear box covers are already polished. I am thinking the lower and front end of the crank case and the top and sides of the gear box that are exposed to the eye of the viewer and the outer lip that matches up to the timing cover.

Bear in mind I am thinking of areas that are not easily accessible once they are in the frame.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I will see if it's available here and let you know how I get on. Just received all the other parts back from polishing. So I will want to touch up before fitting.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was always told to polish the smooth covers and to clean the inner cases as they are rough for cooling purposes. I use Mothers and elbow grease and a small powerball on mine and they look good. and yes the clear coat will yellow

1 - 7 of 7 Posts