Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike is running great, nothing to do but polish! Does anyone know what metal(s) '78 spokes are made of? They polish (kind of), don't seem to rust, yet are attracted to a magnet.

Thanks, Bill

·
Premium Member
10,031 Posts
My spokes are from England, not Poland.

Oh! I have stainless rims and spokes on my 79. I'm not too worried about authenticity, even on my older bikes and stainless takes a lot of the hassle out of the wheels

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
My spokes are from England, not Poland.

Oh! I have stainless rims and spokes on my 79. I'm not too worried about authenticity, even on my older bikes and stainless takes a lot of the hassle out of the wheels
I agree Dave,
Stainless is the way to go, a quick hose down and the wheels look like new :)

Webby

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
If you polish the spokes with Flitz, and it takes time doing one at a time, the shine will last for a very long time. Not sure what is in Flitz, but I did the spokes on my HD about 6 or more years ago and they still shine great.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you polish the spokes with Flitz, and it takes time doing one at a time, the shine will last for a very long time. Not sure what is in Flitz, but I did the spokes on my HD about 6 or more years ago and they still shine great.

regards,
Rob
I agree with Rob. It is also great on the engine cases and handlebar controls.

Chris

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
A can-o-Flitz??? I never knew you could get it in a can!! Now I'm gonna have to Google Flitz to find out what size can they make. I've always gotten the tubes, which are about the size of a toothpaste tube. Gun shops carry it, too. My buddy always has it on his counter in his shop and I occasionally get a tube as a birthday present from him, the old softy.

Keep in mind that a very small amount goes a long way. It's like Simichrome, which is another uber-polish from Germany. Not sure what they put in those polishes but the shine certainly lasts where using regular polish results in the shine fading pretty quickly. Mother's is the closest I've come to US made stuff that holds a shine for a long time on stuff like zinc plating or zamak fittings.

And to let you know how little you need, I bought a tube of Simichrome in the mid-70's and just thru the empty/dried up remains away about 5 or so years ago. A little dab'l do ya.

regards,
Rob

regards,
Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts