Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you guys already know this, but maybe some of the new guys can use the info....

Polaris part # 5410834 Inlet Plenum

It can NOT be had at non-SNOWMOBILE authorized dealers.
Not too many snowmobile dealers down here in the South, but I found 2 Internet suppliers...

http://motoplex.net/ (Washington State)

http://spicersboatcity.com/ (Michigan)

Just pick the one closest to you, as they both use the same pricing $12.17 and shipping $8.95, for a total of $21.12,
you'll probably gett it quicker that way.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Kliff - they should also know that ........... the Polaris bellmouth needs to be cut in two, which results in two identical, useable bellmouths. Use one half yourself, pass the other half on to a friend.

Bob

·
Registered
547 Posts
thanks Kliff, I'll try this from NZ and see if it works. Beats the expensive NH one - cheers Pat

·
Registered
246 Posts
There's another reasonable alternative from Jenks Bolts.
Rubber Bellmouth
It is a little more than the Polaris but a heck of a lot less than the NH, and doesn't restrict the opening as much.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Gave mine to my riding buddy.... he deserves more than this for putting up with me on our rides! But what the hey .... I'm cheap!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
From the jenks website:
Our velocity stack is made by modifying a similar part made to be fitted onto a popular brand of snowmobile, so you can be sure the shape of the inlet is optimised for good airflow and the rubber is of the right quality!

·
Registered
659 Posts
On 2006-12-07 10:16, ohiorider wrote:
Kliff - they should also know that ........... the Polaris bellmouth needs to be cut in two, which results in two identical, useable bellmouths. Use one half yourself, pass the other half on to a friend.

Bob
How do you mean cut in half.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of what the Polaris Bellmouth looks like?
I don't understand the cut in half part either.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The pic doesn't show it too well , but the "bottom half" is identical to the top half...

BTW, I got one of those sleds, a 2000 Polaris XCR800, and that bellmouth flows enough air for it to dyno at [email protected] stock :cool: How's that from 800cc's :-D

The 99 and 01-03 models actually used 2 of the same bellmouths, the 00 had 1 stock , probably an attempt to reduce intake noise.
Adding the second one to the 00 only gave slight improvements in power from what I hear, I don't know as the bellmouth I bought last year ended up in my Bonnie instead.

[ This message was edited by: ivar on 2006-12-08 03:28 ]

·
Registered
659 Posts
On 2006-12-08 01:46, Motolink wrote:
On 2006-12-07 10:16, ohiorider wrote:

Bob
How do you mean cut in half.
I have Polaris bellmouth not fitted yet, it does not fit perfectly into the hole left when the snorkel is removed, it looks like the air box needs a small bit taken out to make it fit perfectly and it will reduce the size of the air intake area as well.
Some one must have experienced the same, unless I have the wrong Polaris Bellmouth.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Hi, Motolink - if you ordered and received the Polaris part # 5410834 Inlet Plenum, you received the Polaris part all of us on this site have used, unless Polaris has modified the part. What Ivar is showing in the drawing he posted is the bellmouth (#2 in the drawing). What all of us have received would look like two #2 parts hooked together, sort of a mirror image if you placed the narrow end up to a mirror. The two halves are held together by a thin piece of rubber, which we cut to separate the two halves. What you end up with then are two identical halves. Either half will work.

You are correct in that the bellmouth is slightly smaller than the opening in the airbox. Mine fit nicely after fiddling with it for a few minutes. One alternative is to go with the Hyde alloy bellmouth, but it is slightly (ahem) more expensive.

For the most part, I installed the Polaris bellmouth to finish up what looked like an unsightly hole left by removing the snorkle. I couldn't tell you if it produces more, less, or the same hp.

Bob

·
Registered
519 Posts
Bob is right on...You can open up the air intake alittle with an exacto knife but I just wiggled the bellmouth into the stock plastic openning left after snorkle removal...Easiest mod on this site...just pull out the snorkle...cut the polaris in half right down the middle and wiggle it in...I'll try to take some digital pics of mine later if I have time....

·
Registered
659 Posts
Thanks, I bought my bellmouth from a fellow on this site, I guess it was his other half, will try moving it around in the hole before I start cutting at the air box opening. When I did try to fit the bellmouth it was a little distorted so I pulled it back out.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Rick,

Here's the picture from Jenks site showing their bellmouth fitted:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Good photo, I have fitted mine in the opening, it does not appear to fit as tidy as yours and looks to have a much smaller air intake hole, will take a photo as well. Thanks

I should add my Bonne is a 2001, the hole in the air box may be smaller I think.

null

[ This message was edited by: Motolink on 2006-12-10 04:15 ]

·
Registered
519 Posts
It'll work fine just the way you have it....I had to adjust the air/fuel mix screw and the idle after this mod...see how she idles...if rough, do that then syncronize the carbs...should be right as rain....

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Just to show you what you get for $125.00 and the expense of powder coating, this is what a Norman Hyde (designer name) bellmouth looks like installed:

Hmm, looks like a bellmouth..... was it worth the additional hundred bucks though?!?

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-12-10 09:05 ]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts