Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has a podtronics rectifier and boyer ignition but the guy that wired it did a ****ty job. Apparently he only had black wire.

Redid what I could yesterday the best I could but only made it to the gas station and the battery was dead. Got a jump but only made it a few feet and it died again. Got out the tools and unhooked the lights and it started first kick. Made it home that way but as soon as I hook the light up it kills the battery not sure if I have a short or it's not charging right.

·
Super Moderator
13,270 Posts
It's not charging right, but PROBABLY because of the wiring, unless the podtronic unit is fried.

I believe podtronics can be googled for the wiring diagram,then re-wire using colored wire. A good source is to buy a harness off a salvage bike at an old bike shop, and strip out the colors you need.

The ergonomics on that bike do NOT look comfortable for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not charging right, but PROBABLY because of the wiring, unless the podtronic unit is fried.

I believe podtronics can be googled for the wiring diagram,then re-wire using colored wire. A good source is to buy a harness off a salvage bike at an old bike shop, and strip out the colors you need.

The ergonomics on that bike do NOT look comfortable for me.
Haha thats what everybody says but it's really not bad.

Is there a way to test the rectifier? The bike runs great without the headlight hooked up but the rectifier could still be fried?

Just so you know what you're dealing with, I'm 25 and not used to working on this old of a bike so I will probably ask stupid questions.

·
Super Moderator
13,270 Posts
I moved this discussion to the main forum (removed from the photos thread).

Test the rectifier by the book, use a multimeter on "ohms" setting, test each individual diode for continuity in the proper direction.

are you running a battery? is it a GOOD battery?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I moved this discussion to the main forum (removed from the photos thread).

Test the rectifier by the book, use a multimeter on "ohms" setting, test each individual diode for continuity in the proper direction.

are you running a battery? is it a GOOD battery?
I was just going to ask if I should start a new thread.

Yes I run a 12volt system and I just bought the battery Wednesday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts