Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Arferbrick: My vent line was attached to the primary airbox until I switched to pods. Not sure what circumstances would lead one to connect it to the secondary air box...
Mine is connected to the primary airbox (standard), but I seem to be getting water in the oil as I get the Mayo problem as discussed here - http://www.triumphrat.net/hinckley-classic-triples/233419-water-in-the-oil-emulsified-mayo.html.

In order to stop it, or at least minimise the water ingress I want to add a filter to the end of the breather pipe, but I don't think putting a small filter inside the primary airbox would be a very good idea as it would (I'm sure) disrupt the airflow to the carbs.

As modifying the breather is illegal here, the only other option I can see is to re-route the breather to the rear airbox where airflow isn't an issue, and only a very keen eye would notice the modification.

I can then filter the air that gets sucked back into the breather, hopefully keeping some moisture out, while still allowing any exhausted gasses (and/or spat out oil) to be sent through the engine for burning.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yes had the same prob on mine arfer as you know i just changed out the filter dont seem to affect the running of the bike and there was deffo no oil in the airbox had her out on 130 mls run today and everything is as they say ticky boo how are you finding the x 75 bars by the way even my m8 who rides with me a lot said the bike looks better in the corners now

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Yeah I read your post in another thread, glad you're finally getting some better weather over there. It's been a bitch of a Winter eh?

I love the bars, they look extra cool and the extra width is fantastic because it gives me much better control over the bike, especially at crawling speeds.

I would have thought they were too wide for creeping between lanes of traffic, even more so with my bar end weights which add another 5cm to the width! But I can still do it and haven't taken anyone out yet (knock on wood!!).

Sadly for my lanky frame I find them a bit too low, and not swept back far enough, I still have to lean forward a bit and I find it a tad uncomfortable :(.

I'm thinking of getting some of those risers that also extend backwards a bit, but they're quite pricey at €60.

...hmm, maybe if I bought 3 sets and joined them all together :D

·
Premium Member
3,332 Posts
OK, I went with this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/mini-air-line-filter-68225.html

Here's what it looks like:

As you can see, there's about a quarter teaspoon of oil in the bottom, after a 100 mile ride. The filter on the side is dry.

I had to modify the drain as it was designed to automatically drain when there was no pressure. I moved the spring from the inside to the outside, to hold it shut. I think the next version will have a tube and plug a' la the original.

(BTW, Harbor Freight 1/4 NPT x 3/8 hose barbs fit 5/16" hose...)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That looks great! Nicely done! Need to get my hands on one of those filters. Don't know where to look though. Thanks for posting!

·
Premium Member
3,332 Posts
It's a air compressor filter. Any decent industrial supplier should have one. I'd be glad to send you one, but the shipping would probably run at least 4 times the cost of the part... (I know I can ship it for $24 US plus the cost of the part.)

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
That's pretty slick there, John.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Seems like this would be worth doing even if you still have the primary airbox in place, am I right? my tube does get oil in it, and looked like it was coming up to the airbox. Would this eliminate the need for the airbox drain tube?

·
Premium Member
3,332 Posts
Would this eliminate the need for the airbox drain tube?
I would think so, but in that case it seems like a solution in search of a problem. Besides, if the air filter is still in place, where are you going to put the separator? :pokeit

·
Registered
373 Posts
Preventative upgrades!
Well I've had oil in my tube. I think it makes it to the airbox on occasion and I don't really want that crap going in my carbs, even the vented fumes. Thinking of putting a little pod filter on it and one of those. Guess it is a little bigger than I thought tho. Would it be stupid to do?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts