Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

A mysterious title on this post, so let me clear a few things up first.
I have pods installed, alongside many other upgrades, and the bike runs great and is like brand new apart from a major issue I'm having. Probably due to the much higher RPM the bike pushes a lot of engine oil out the crank breather and I'm keen to know if you guys had this problem and if you did, how you ended up solving it.
Is a much higher RPM associated to the carbs new jets?

I would appreciate any input you might have on this issue and please ask any follow up questions. I would love to have the bike out on the road this summer.

Best regards

·
Premium Member
3,430 Posts
Higher RPM is strictly a function of your operation of the throttle.

What did you do with the crankcase vent line? I have mine attached to a crankcase filter on a bracket below one of the pods. So far (only ~150 miles) there is no sign of oil.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I have around 13,000 mi. on my pods and have not had any oil from the vent filter. I have the vent filter zipp tied to the radiator hose under the tank. I would also check your oil level like Big Al said.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've checked the oil level, and it's in middle of the sightglass when warm. Which I believe is just right.
I started the bike up today and it runs great. After a few minutes the crank hose started dripping oil and it ended up being quite alot of oil for just idling in the garage. At this point I just had the hose hanging on the side of the bike, but still, this is a big problem since when driving the oil ends up all over the place even though I've had the filter placed up high. The engine just fills the filter until the point where it leaks through.

I filmed the event (watch your speakers) : Movie
Any more advice? :/

·
Premium Member
3,430 Posts
How did you have the line routed? It needs to slope up from the point where it connects to the engine case. If there are any dips or low spots, oil will collect there and eventually get expelled out the hose. If it slopes up continuously and the oil quantity is reasonable, it will just run back down into the case.

How many miles are on this engine? Does it have a lot of blow-by?

Other than that, I suppose something could be incorrectly assembled or missing from the vent chamber in the case.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Is it possible the shaft/breather seal (behind the cover) is responsible for a bit more oil leaking into the pipe? Enough to cause a drip, especially if there isn't a good length of vertical hose to allow it drip back down?

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
I guess my breather seal is bad, I got tired of the blowby on my case so I routed the tube high under the tank then back down behind the left cover, from there it goes into a peice of steel brake line bent down on top the chain. Its my auto chain lube.

anyone got a part number for that seal thingy? Bike Bandit maybe?

·
Registered
3,282 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WSC, so you now have somewhat the same problem as me?
I haven’t test driven the bike yet, that’s for tomorrow morning, but I took a plastic box, routed the hose into it and put the filter in the box and the whole thing into the secondary air box. That way if oil comes out the hose it should be able to just end up in the plastic box. At least I hope this will solve the problem :/

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yup, the same thing happens to all crankcase breathers. You do have to keep a positive incline to keep the oil draining back into the case. As long as the hose is long enough, a slight incline is fine.

I realized I had the same issue a couple weeks ago. I didn't realize mine was level with the vent. Once I moved it up about 2" higher than the vent the issue is gone.

·
Premium Member
3,430 Posts
WSC, so you now have somewhat the same problem as me?
At least similar. Today I rode 55 miles in the morning, 45-50*F with no new oil on the engine case. This afternoon, on the return trip, 70*or so and there is a smear of oil over about 4 inches square area and one drip on the filter.

Picked up 2 cheap oil separators. I will try one, hopefully, tomorrow, but the next long trip isn't until next Monday, weather permitting.

Stay tuned...

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Yup, the same thing happens to all crankcase breathers. You do have to keep a positive incline to keep the oil draining back into the case. As long as the hose is long enough, a slight incline is fine.

I realized I had the same issue a couple weeks ago. I didn't realize mine was level with the vent. Once I moved it up about 2" higher than the vent the issue is gone.
This is what I'm thinking except that I reckon an up-and-over pipe route is the best idea to prevent moisture from outside dripping down into motor. (also any moisture derived from vapour leaving the motor, condensing & dripping back.)

The seal in the cover needs to be in good condition too, but if it isn't, this pipe routing should help avoid unnecessary loss of oil.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took the bike out. No oil today. As you state mike, condensation, and a lot of it. Need to come up with something here. The reason I can see this is that I have a clear hose from the breather now (only one of the right size I could find and buy).

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I'll be re-routing mine into a small plastic container (yet to source) that I'm going to somehow fasten inside the secondary airbox this weekend.

It makes sense to have it in venting into there as any gasses will be sucked in and burnt.

I found a gorgeous chrome filter especially for the job, but it's illegal over here to tamper with the breather and air filter, but if I do it discretely (ie sinply re-route the pipe to the rear airbox) it shouldn't be noticed :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The oil spillage seem to have stopped. But the condensation needs to be fixed somehow. I took a pic and a clip if you're interested in seeing how it looks in the breather.

Link
Link2

·
Premium Member
3,430 Posts
Can't see the clip or pic: login required. The condensation is normal: water is a byproduct of combustion. That's one reason there is a vent. You don't want the moisture in the oil.

Arferbrick: My vent line was attached to the primary airbox until I switched to pods. Not sure what circumstances would lead one to connect it to the secondary air box...

I hope this link works...

·
Premium Member
3,430 Posts
I got it from a place here called Harbor Freight. Home Depot also carries it under the name "California Air Tools Water and Oil Air Filter". You may be able to find something locally if you look under air compressor filters or separators. It only cost $6.00 US.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts