Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading a post about the K&N pod filters slipping off the carbs. Is this a common problem? I recall he had a NARK from Bellacorse. Is this regulated to that specific brand only, or has it happened to owners of the Newbonneville.com Nark as well?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hasn't happened with mine but I believe it does if you overtighten the clamps.

Darcy

·
Registered
421 Posts
That was probably my post. The situation was resolved by the very quick response from Mike at Bella Corsa who not only gave me the "how to" but also sent me wider clamps for the filter/boot.

The response from Mike @ Bella Corsa is below as well as a link to my post on it.

I can say dealing with Mike and BC has been great.

Original Post & Response Linky

"Bob,

I answered your PM, but for the rest of you...

The filters (and they are not UNI brand by the way) come pre-oiled with a light clear oil. Cleaning the inside lip of each filter with a solvent, like brake cleaner, helps. So does roughing-up the inlet lip of each carb with some sandpaper, being careful not to get any metal dust/shavings inside the carb. A tissue stuffed in the carb will help while sanding.

Also, I'll send you some different clamps that might help. As the instructions states, Do Not Overtighten the Clamps.

Mike"

On 2006-11-24 10:07, Hilts wrote:
I remember reading a post about the K&N pod filters slipping off the carbs. Is this a common problem? I recall he had a NARK from Bellacorse. Is this regulated to that specific brand only, or has it happened to owners of the Newbonneville.com Nark as well?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah. Good to know. I'm getting a NARK fairly soon and was wondering about all the things I've heard: the slippage, the possibility of water and wind hindering the performance, etc. But I think I will do it and, as they say, join the dark side. I'm considering main jetting to 125s, from my 115s and replacing my stock needles with Thruxtons as well. Hope this set up works with my TORs. (I won't be able to tell until April or so! Darn snow... Thank God for snowmobiles, the Canadian way to beat the winter motorcycle blues!)

[ This message was edited by: Hilts on 2006-11-24 10:42 ]

·
Registered
421 Posts
The Bella Corsa kit is top notch I can speak to that. I was going to go the route of DIY, but I have so many things going on... Glad I did it.

Couple of notes:
- Lift the bike - stock air box removal is easy once you lift and drop the rear wheel via top shock mount removal. You do not have to remove the entire rear wheel (thought this is even easier).

- Clean the area while its open

- I am running the set up Bella Corsa provided but want to get it on a dyno to insure jetting is spot on. It does not match the recommendations from Jenks or jetting calculators, but seems to run strong. My "butt' dyno says it is stronger and sure does sound better.

- Though some don't pull the carbs, I did. I followed some suggestions from Pats Carb and Mod Site Linky Good experience.

- One of our BIR founders did a video, check it out before you do yours as it has some useful info - BIR Vids Linky

- Have fun and take your time.

- Oh yeah, take a break with a :-g

On 2006-11-24 10:40, Hilts wrote:
Ah. Good to know. I'm getting a NARK fairly soon and was wondering about all the things I've heard: the slippage, the possibility of water and wind hindering the performance, etc. But I think I will do it and, as they say, join the dark side. I'm considering main jetting to 125s, from my 115s and replacing my stock needles with Thruxtons as well. Hope this set up works with my TORs. (I won't be able to tell until April or so! Darn snow... Thank God for snowmobiles, the Canadian way to beat the winter motorcycle blues!)
[ This message was edited by: boboso on 2006-11-24 11:28 ]

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boboso, thanks for the advice. What set up are you running? Specifically, what exhaust/jetting?

·
Registered
421 Posts
On 2006-11-24 12:08, Hilts wrote:
Boboso, thanks for the advice. What set up are you running? Specifically, what exhaust/jetting?
I am running TORs with Bella Corsa kit. Jetting is currently at 128/42 with 2 shims (I have a Thruxton, so Thruxton needle).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I was thinking about setting up the 800 almost the same way. Have the shims on the needles made much difference?

·
Registered
421 Posts
On 2006-11-24 16:01, Hilts wrote:
Yeah, I was thinking about setting up the 800 almost the same way. Have the shims on the needles made much difference?
Ya know I can't tell you. I went from the stock jetting set up and the air box gone ran it down the block and of course it ran lousy. Change the jetting to the recommended from Mike at Bella Corsa and it runs, much better. As I said the real test will be on a dyno and with some assitance of a jetting master.

Remember settings may change for altitude etc. I run from sea level to around 7.000 and I requested jets for 3k to 7k.

The extra shim gave me a bit better response from the throttle.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Back to the original post...I don't recall reading of anyone having ANY troubles of this type with K&N cone filters. I have read posts where there have been problems like you described with other brand filters. I have over 12000 miles on my NARK with K&N cone filters and have never had them come loose. I did NO prep work prior to putting them on and tightening the clamps. NARK = Newbonneville.com's Airbox Removal Kit.

Larry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts