Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my S Triple for over a year now and have kept up with the reg scheduled maintenance... I had just had it in for the 6000 mile maintenance about a month ago... Today I was out riding with 2 friends and we stopped at one of our ex GF homes... while I sat there on my bike waiting on my friend my bike dumped all it's coolant... overheated and died... now it won't start... I turn the key to on and not even the computer turns on... nothing happens... is my bike --- or is that just a safety measure from the computer?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I imagine it wouldn't be good if you left the engine running after the coolant was dumped. If you turned it straight off it should have at least minimised any damage.

I don't suppose you noticed what the temperature gauge was doing when it dumped the coolant - it may have only been a split hose but I suppose you would have checked that by now before you tried starting it again?

Some things that could have happened if it really overheated badly would be a blown gasket or even warping the engine block - especially if you put cold water straight in after it overheated. I wouldn't panic though until you take it to a proper bike mechanic and see what they find. Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is really throwing me off is that not the bike doesn't even turn on... so that leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the computer or power supply... if the engine siezed up would that prevent the bike from turning on?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And yes the temperature guage went from 6 or 7 bars to over 9 in less than 30 seconds... then the bike just went eh... no sooner than my buddy said hey your bikes leaking something I looked and it was already pooling and running down the street... I then looked at the gauges and it was up arround 9 bars at least... then it shut off... and it won't turn on... we checked the coolant and it was empty presumably because it all drained out... I had checked the coolant about a weak earlier and it was above the minimum level... I'm just at a loss for an explanation... I'm not a mechanic and had just been following the reg scheduled maintenance checking things on my own periodically... As I said I had just had it in for the 6000 mile maintenance at arround 6500 miles and this happened at about 7800 miles...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also the bike is sitting behind a tattoo shop a block away that a friend of mine works at. We just put the bike into neutral and walked it over there. Tried to start it up 3 hours later but the computer wouldn't turn on, another friend of mine suggested disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. We think this might reset the computer. Before we do this though I am going to refill the coolant with the sugested 50/50 mixture that it suggests in the owners manual. Unless anyone has some better advice. May be I should just put it up on a trailer and take it to the dealership and let them look at it. I'm sure they would know what to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I may have figured out what happened... I had washed the bike earier in the day at a car bay and used a high pressure washer... I must have damaged the radiator by accident... I found a Caution paragraph in the owners manual on p 75 warning of this... now I'm just praying to high heaven that the engine isn't ---...

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would take it to the dealer. It's going to be the safest bet. Sorry.

Oh...and very high pressure water and exposed engine/radiator/electrical stuff= very bad!

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Spraying the radiator is extremely unlikely to do any damage. The main risk of high-pressure hoses is that they either force water past rubber seals into electrics or force it into sealed bearings.
I had to repair the ECU in a Ducati a few years ago after the dealer high-pressure washed it and water got inside the fully sealed unit :)

I can't think how this would cause a collant leak unless you damaged either the radiator cooling fan or temperature sensor, and the temperature overloaded when you were stationary.

Cheers,
Jason

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
It is conceivable, Aaron. Even if it doesn't cut the core, though, a pressurized spray directly on the fins can collapse them and cut off air flow. The result is not pretty.

Without being able to look at the bike in person, I'd go so far as to guess there may be two separate problems...both perhaps caused by water, but if Zee is very lucky, just maybe the electrical failure is a separate issue, not a result of engine damage from the cooling problem. This needs a skilled mechanic with the proper diagnostic tools to determine. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it's at the dealership now but I won't know anything about it until they look at it next Thursday. I'll post a reply on here about the outcome and what had caused it to dump the coolant when I know more.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
I hate to hear that you will be without the bike for a week before they even look at it (!) but we'll be interested to hear the details as soon as you know them.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
No, a high pressure spray cannot cut any kind of metal that is more than cooking-foil.
We have a gas powered diesel 150degC sprayer here and trust me, it will never cut through metal.

Let us know what the dealer says.

Jason

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
A lot of radiator cores are not very thick-walled. Whether or not it damages the core, though, the spray can easily bend the fins if the nozzle gets at all close.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Zee , thats really bad luck mate let us know how you get on, fingers crossed for ya, I hope it aint terminal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The dealership called today and they said that I had a bad voltage regulator rectifier. This caused a short in the main fuse. That in turn prevented the fan from operating. The bike then overheated, dumped the cooloant, and overheated more and then shut off. I don't really understand what a "voltage regulator rectifier" is but they did say that all of this will be covered and the bike should be fixed in a week.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yikes, hopefully that's all the damage that was done.

Simple definition:

The regulator/rectifier does two things.. First it converts the alternating current from your alternator into direct current so it can be used, the regulator regulates the voltage so that battery is charged correctly and not overcharged.

If the RR failed it could dump high voltage AC into other systems on the bike, it sounds though like a fuse popped instead (as it should) so hopefully that's all..

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Thanks for the followup, Zee. I don't know that I entirely buy their timeline of events in every particular (I'm going to have to check out the fan wiring diagram before I can quite accept that part of it), but their overall diagnosis about the rectifier/regulator is probably correct. If so, it was one of those rare but unfortunate instances of a solid state device experiencing infant mortality, and you should have no further difficulties from that original problem.

Do let us know how things go once it's out of the shop.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts