Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea I said it.

I work for a major auto manufacturer and sit on the other side. Yes, when you need to talk to the factory rep I'm the guy you would talk to. As a factory rep I listen to people [email protected]#$h and complain everyday, and it was not that long ago that my company had a very similar problem with a part some of our customers thought to be substandard or unsafe.

As a factory rep if the company line was say nothing and do nothing I would tell customers they have a choice.

1. Do nothing and accept it as normal
2. Pay for any changes you want to make
3. Review the laws of your State and follow them. File a case under the lemon law. Some states require consumers to go though a dispute resolution board, some require the dealer to get one last repair attempt, it really depends.

Depending on the state, it really does not matter what the dealer or the rep says, if you believe you have a warranty/safety issue, follow the rules and file your case. And yes, I have been to court defending my company on warranty issues.

Posting "Triumph please fix my brakes" ain't going to do FN squat. If you choose option 2, then I believe there are some really good suggestions.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
If a ruler listens to lies, all his officials become wicked."

-Proverbs 29:12

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I ride an '06 Honda CBR1000RR as well as my '06 Speedy. Although there is definitely different feel, I cannot for the life of me understand (at least for the South African spec model) what th hullabaloo is all about..? I'm more than happy with the radial brakes & master cylinder.. yeah okay, be nice to have the radial master cylinder from the 675, and yes, maybe a little less travel, but I have adapted well to the lever as is and can't find any fault. Call me a stupid & naive newbie I guess...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Dear Triumph Warranty Staff Member... :hammer: thanks for your post!

You are right. Perhaps posting will not do anything for fixing my brakes but it may have an affect on anybody looking to purchase a Triumph, thus, pressuring them by bad press to resolve the issue. This will eventually make the brand stronger and guarantee support in the future for my '06.

You have made good suggestions, all of which have been covered ad naseum herein, but stopping the 'whining' isn't one of those good suggestions. And as far as not whining, isn't that what keeps you in a job?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mr. Biff,

I do not work for Triumph warranty team. Read again, I said automotive, as in CAR, not motorcycle. Warranty work does not pay my salary, at best it hurts my pay raises. As a factory rep I have other responsibilities and warranty is about 10% of what I do. I posted because I see there is a problem, and if my bike had the same issue I'd be out at the dealer getting my repair at temps up to make my case. If you want action, you must take action. Put down the computer, get off your fat butt, and go down to the court house and file. If you have followed the proper procedures you stand a better chance at winning. I'm not telling people there is nothing wrong with the brakes, I'm telling you to do more than complain on this site from behind your computer screen, THATS ALL. As a factory rep, I don't get create company policy. I only interpret it and make judgement calls on a case by case basis.

Get the rep on the phone, try to schedule an appointment with them when they are at your Dealer. If you don't talk to the rep personally, your not going to get anything done. The dealer just wants to get paid for the work done, and the rep can authorize the payment if he or she feels fit.

Should you decide to take action remember a few things. Everything you do will be under the judge or jury's scrutiny. Don't file stating safety, then ride your bike for another 3,000 miles until your case comes to court. You will lose. I know because I won a case where the owner stated his car pulled to the left and he felt it was a safety issue. After the final repair attempt, which had the current mileage on the repair order, he drove the vehicle from PA to Florida. Since it was safe enough to drive to FL the pulling must not have been that much of an issue, hence if you continue to ride your speedy the judge/jury may determine it's safe for you to ride with the brakes having a lot of travel.

It's just a look from the other side of the table.

·
Registered
583 Posts
teo, not to bash on your bike, because i love my speedy mucho,, but wait a few thou miles, your brakes will take an inch and a half to start doing something, then when they do, and you need to stop quickly, you will crush your pinky and it will suck.

·
Registered
456 Posts
On 2006-12-13 12:17, Boezack wrote:
Mr. Biff,

I do not work for Triumph warranty team. Read again, I said automotive, as in CAR, not motorcycle. Warranty work does not pay my salary, at best it hurts my pay raises. As a factory rep I have other responsibilities and warranty is about 10% of what I do. I posted because I see there is a problem, and if my bike had the same issue I'd be out at the dealer getting my repair at temps up to make my case. If you want action, you must take action. Put down the computer, get off your fat butt, and go down to the court house and file. If you have followed the proper procedures you stand a better chance at winning. I'm not telling people there is nothing wrong with the brakes, I'm telling you to do more than complain on this site from behind your computer screen, THATS ALL. As a factory rep, I don't get create company policy. I only interpret it and make judgement calls on a case by case basis.

Get the rep on the phone, try to schedule an appointment with them when they are at your Dealer. If you don't talk to the rep personally, your not going to get anything done. The dealer just wants to get paid for the work done, and the rep can authorize the payment if he or she feels fit.

Should you decide to take action remember a few things. Everything you do will be under the judge or jury's scrutiny. Don't file stating safety, then ride your bike for another 3,000 miles until your case comes to court. You will lose. I know because I won a case where the owner stated his car pulled to the left and he felt it was a safety issue. After the final repair attempt, which had the current mileage on the repair order, he drove the vehicle from PA to Florida. Since it was safe enough to drive to FL the pulling must not have been that much of an issue, hence if you continue to ride your speedy the judge/jury may determine it's safe for you to ride with the brakes having a lot of travel.

It's just a look from the other side of the table.
Do you happen to work for GM or Ford? :pkit:

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you want action, you must take action. Put down the computer, get off your fat butt, and go down to the court house and file.
Rant on

For someone trying to make a point about folks whining you sure do a good job of putting a blanket comment out there that we must all be whining. If you actually spent time reading some of the threads you would see many folks have got off their "fat arses" and found the technical/mechanical issues causing these "whinings".

All good that you dont want to come here to this prize list and relive your entire day at the office. Coming here and telling folks to stop whining, is probably what you do all day long for a job, as a wonderful bean counter. Unlike the folks that directly call you or your company direct, this is a public forum. While some may not want to hear all the stuff they consider bullsheyat, the option always exists to move to another thread. I personally would rather hear of all repeat concerns from the general user base of the product I am looking at.

For those folks who may be included along with myself who use this forum to do research and understand what failures/fixes and such are common to a particular brand/model.

Some folks may never know they had a "common" issue unless it was due to facilities like this, especially if all they did was listen to the factory reps or bean counters tell them all day long there is no issues with their products.

My advice, in making posts like this. State your peace be done with it. However I would venture to say I didnt prefer your "tone" in the first post, and definatly find it more annoying the more you post.

For me, getting off my "fat butt" as you called it included doing my research here on this forum for the mechanical solutions that folks have tried success and failures alike. Discussing and waiting to see outcomes of the works in progress.

For me the solution was to purchase a set of 06 GSXR brakes and MC, with the combined help of MANY of the brake threads I was also lucky enough to find help from listers on what other parts I will need (Nice PDF thanks kindly TSC17).

A few more purchases and I am hoping to arrive at a solution for under $400 not including pad prices. $400 for getting off my fat ass is better than the initial $150 it would take to even file the paper work at the court house. Not to mention the legal costs involved in fighting a major corporation without backing evidence, testimonials, expert witnesses and the cash to follow through with a long drawn out court ordeal.

Personally if threads like this get you worked up where you find the need to tell the collective portion of us trying to find solutions to "get off our arses". Perhaps you should just move along to the next thread and find something enjoyable to read that doesnt get under your skin to the point that you point fingers at everyone not satisfied with a product they purchased as a consumer. Perhaps this struck to "close to home" in what you do for a living and then having to see/hear it here.

My 'peace' has been said, moving on to another more happy thread! :-D

Feel free to flame away, I encourage you to send direct PMs to me rather than post here if you have further comments as I am going to take my own advice now and move on to another thread where someone isnt telling me to get off my arse.

Toodles

Rant off

·
Registered
491 Posts
I think Prestimp said it all.

If you don't like to read posts from people bemoaning their brakes, then don't read them.

·
Registered
354 Posts
On 2006-12-13 12:17, Boezack wrote:
Mr. Biff,

I do not work for Triumph warranty team. Read again, I said automotive, as in CAR, not motorcycle.
Yes, yes. I guess a joke you have to explain isn't funny. Couple of notes:

1 - If I thought the brakes were UNSAFE I would change them to something that works better. They just don't meet my EXPECTATION OF QUALITY. I can stop fast enough to pull my eyeballs out of my head so LONG AS I BLEED THE BRAKES FIRST, a ritual now in my garage. Odd that my brother never has to do this with his Suzuki????

2 - Did I say litigation? No. Did I say consumer pressure? YES. Also, if you are giving legal advice, perhaps you should state your bar affiliation.

3 - Oh, and I've got nothing but love for you, as you know, but the view from MY side of the table is the important one in my universe.

The moral of the story is, if you expect to stoke a sore subject, expect to be the recipient of some JOKES. Thus, lighten up and enjoy your ride.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

·
Registered
899 Posts
"Warranty work does not pay my salary, at best it hurts my pay raises."

I think this quote sets the tone for the general attitude of backing potential warranty issues. Allowing a claim to be factual could influence financial gain for the company rep? Conflict of interest at it's best. Though I haven't had this issue myself, I do agree with Prestimp.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Press,

First off, Mrbritt came at me first and that prompted my response. The brake thread has been beat to death, and yes there are some very good suggestions on a fix, but that was not my point. They are well aware people have concerns about brake, but they choose to do nothing because no one has convinced the DOT or a judge it is a safety issue.

If you want something done take it to the next level, and it may cost you $150 to get things rolling. Hell, if you live in PA or NJ just call 1800lemmonlaw, they will take your case for free. If you want to win then there are certain things you need to be aware of, ie don't keep riding on unsafe brakes if you want to make a case.

So keep your shirt on, I'm actually on your side. Is my "tone" better for you now? If not I don't really give a shi^

1 - 20 of 34 Posts