Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to post new sticky threads for 2011. The other ones can be viewed but are locked out from posting. They were getting long and I think it was best to start the new year fresh. I would like to welcome all the new members. I have had my Rocket now for five years. I think you will find most of us if not all are very fond of our Triumph Rockets.

We invite you to take a few moments and introduce yourself. This will help keep you from getting lost in a thread in your first posts.

If you are new to the site please check out the Acceptable Use Policy, and spend some time browsing through recent posts to find out what sort of topics are currently being discussed by the group.

Again Welcome...Lee

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello from California

Hi,

I picked up my phantom black 2011 rocket III roadster last Saturday and love it. It goes great with my '09 Speed Triple. The best of both worlds? For me, definitely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought my R3 in '06 & have now got over 100,000 k's on it & about to rack at least another 5000 up over the next few weeks on run down to Tasmania, (that's in Australia for the uneducated). My 'commuter' is a 1050 Tiger, which I also love but there's nothing like riding a Rocket! I thought of updating to a classic a week ago but after a test ride looked at mine & the Classic & thought - naaaaaaa. My 'Ronni' is a big black & chrome beast that snarls & roars, (after a big custom job on the mufflers), & I just can't move her on for anything else!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sprint convert

Hi all,
Recently trade my '07 Sprint ST for an '05 R3. I loved the Sprint but have no regrets. I've already named my Rocket "the Hammer" for reasons you all know. Look forward to interacting with you folks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all

Could no longer resist the voices in my head, and am now the proud owner of Rocket 3 Roadster, and will take delivery in 3 days. Thoughts so far:
1. Too big to lanesplit
2. If it falls over, I will have to recruit 2 or 3 friendly natives to push it back up
3. The engine is awesome, but it will certainly send me deaf in a few months.

Still, as a friend of mine commented "There's things you need... and there's things you want... and there's really cool stuff you just have to have".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello Pretties Triumph Gals , Hi happy triumph' Guys

I had triumph since 1974 , an 69 bonny one ( that Is yet in my garage ) . I have too a 96 carb Tiger . In 2005 wanting renew the Tiger , I fall in love at Triuph dealer with a brave little grey Rocket , I bought her and made more than 75 000km with her . In June I bought a new rocket : a roadster this time but unluckily I had a crash on motorway the very first day : Crushed leg and dead bike . So in January with leg yet in cast I bought my third Rocket and I am dying to have the physical possibility to jump on her ! I hope in 1 or 2 months !

I made a lot of changes on my brave little grey one windshield , heating handles, bi-xenon H4 , and change the side of gear and rear brake pedals ( all my bikes since 1970 are so the old english way)

Excuse my poor english and have you all a good day !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow you make that beast look small! How tall are you?

I'm a new Rocket owner. I have a BMW F800GS and I went to look at the 800XC, thinking I might swap for something British. But the tiger is too much of a clone to waste money on swapping (for me).

A couple of years back I hired a Harley for a week of riding around Utah/Arizona/Nevada and loved the cruiser experience, but could never bring myself to buy a pirate ship.

So while I was looking at the 800XC I bumped into a couple of pre-loved Rockets and fell in love.

I pick it up on Wed/Thur this week, a 2006 R3 standard with 30k km on the clock. She's very clean and tidy (previous owner was a mechanic), although the TOR pipes will have to go to get it road legal and protect my hearing (I work in audio).

So yeah, hi.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am not so tall ( only 1m95 ) but the friend who took the pic was a little higher than me ( that is called in photo contre-plongée ) so I am nearer of the lens than my brave little grey one . So it seems than I am taller than other farer object . It's a well known photograph trick !
I made also a 10 days trip from France to North Kapp and coming back by the German Rocket Treffen , 8500 km in 10 days . If you want have a look at
http://www.rocket-3.org/viewforum.php?forum=38
first the on going : http://www.rocket-3.org/viewtopic.php?topic=3150&forum=38
then a small part of return :http://www.rocket-3.org/viewtopic.php?topic=3166&forum=38
It is in french but there are a bunch of pics !

Might you have numerous and happy km !

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am not so tall ( only 1m95 )
Haha even with the camera angle, that is still a whole lot taller than my measly 175cm. :D

Would love to hear about your mods...think I can see two clocks, a fuel gauge and a whole switch unit on the left...what do they all do?!

The fuel gauge looks nice, is says "Triumph"...is that an official part for the Rocket? Easy to install? Looks nice, same style as the bike.

And great pics of the Nordkapp trip. One that every European must do at some time in his life!

·
Registered
19 Posts
here is a pic of my command pannel !

From left to right : the big black box with 4 switches is for commands of fog lamps , long range lamps , heated grips and the fourth is for changing tone of horn ( off is normal tone , on is for cop's siren tone , its forbiden to have such an horn so when cops are a little too much suspisious , I put the switch off )
Fuel jauge and clock are genuine triumph parts , easy to install , depanding of your skills in electricity . The little rectangle between odometer and rev meter is a voltmeter , I made to monitor battery voltage . The GPS is a Nüvi garmin , not so good because of a poorly ergonomy .
I made the leather box for little stuff as camera , bank card , highway ticket and other little stuff I can not put in my pockets .

·
Registered
14 Posts
New Tarheel Rider

Hello. I just bought my '11 R3T. Saw it a couple months ago at dealer and started downpayment fund immediately. Finished downpayment fund last week and went and picked her up. Took her to the NC mountains on the second day and was very pleased with the handling of such a large bike.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello. I just bought my '11 R3T. Saw it a couple months ago at dealer and started downpayment fund immediately. Finished downpayment fund last week and went and picked her up. Took her to the NC mountains on the second day and was very pleased with the handling of such a large bike.
Trucker you have chosen wisely the Rocket is a great bike....and you are right she handles very well..even in the twisties....ride safe!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi folks!

I was able to buy a pre-loved 2008 RT over the winter, and finally able to get it out of dealer storage about a month ago (the weather here in New England has been, well, detestable - rain and cold).
The times I've been able to get the ole gal out on the road was just just pure adrenalin! I've had big bikes before (a couple of 'Wings and a Vulcan 1500), but nothing compares! She and I are still getting to know each other's likes and dislikes, but so far so good!
I'm one of those riders that waves to every other bike on the road (ok, I admit to ignoring the occasional moped), but on the all the other bikes I've owned (Hondas and Kawi's), the "American" riders tend NOT to wave back. Not the case at all with the RT! The funny part is, I see them wave, then do a double-take in the mirror after they pass, as a "what the hell was that??" Yeah, it doesn't take much to amuse me!
I can't wait for decent weather to arrive to ride more!!
See youse on the road :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
HI,
I've been a member of Triumph Rat for a while... had many Bonnies, Thruxtons... currently have 2 Tigers.

I just bought... 2005 Rocket III with 1k miles for 7k. It's more than I usually will spend but it was a 16k bike when new.

I rode it 500 miles this weekend... this bike has destroyed then changed my entire psychology of motorcycling.

It's a cruiser that out-performs (stop and go) anything I've ever ridden by magnitudes !!! It can be tame around town and a total destroyer on the hw.

Passing someone on the hw is a mere 2 degree turn of the throttle that will launch you to 90-100mph with no disruption... back down and your cruisin at 70-75. Absolutely an amazing machine.... i haven't even explored the true capabilities of this bike... and I probably shouldn't. I havent even seen what 1/2 throttle can/will do. Nor do I dare. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey folks New Rider with 07 Rocket my first bike. Maybe mid life crisis the wife says but I'm having fun. Love the bike. No hills here in Florida so looking for windscreen et al to ride north

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi all, it's been a while since I've been on this site (2009), I've put on nearly 60000 kms since I purchase my R3 and its been running great. Like Lee I am also a member of the Iron Butt association having completed the 1000,1500,2000 and 50cc, what a great experience. Looking forward to catching up on some or your experiences with your R3's.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome back John. The Rocket does great on long distance rides as you already know. I am planning a 1500 tune up ride...3000/ 3 days and 5000/ in 5 days.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi all, bought a new s3 6weeks ago and had my 1050 tiger on the floor at my dealers to sell, went to pick up the cheque for the tiger and there it was 09 R3 6000kms $16990 with a new back tyre,went home couldnt stop thinking about that blasted rocket ,the wife said go and ride the bloody thing,so i did, i will be picking it up on wendesday:):):):):):)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey I'm kinda new here,not to good with this computer,always getting lost in no mans land I'm always looking for other r3 owners for advice.We are small bunch.I'm surrounded by Harley owners V twin this Vtwin that blah blah blah.Please help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I put a summer screen on my r3 the wind hit me square in the head,so I fabbed new mounts changed the pitch'very little difference.I even tried cutting it down3 inches,still no luck.Can't decide between the fly screen or the touring.any advice?

1 - 20 of 114 Posts