Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to you all,

I am getting a little streesed!!

I have just put my T140V backtogether, timmed her up with new Boyer, power box, Battry, fuel, cleaned carbs.

She started first kick, but is sooting up on left pot, missing and a little black smoke every so often, she will run fine with the choke lever in the tensioned position ie the air slide liffted, now i can't remember if this is choke on or off.

With the choke cable in tention and the air slide up, is this choke on or off.

Any help would really be appreciated.

Thank you Simon (Simple)!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Air slide lifted is choke off. The restriction on air flow that the slide creates makes the fuel/air mixture rich, which is what you need for cold starts but will result in the spark plug becoming sooty once the engine is running. (may be worth looking into why the right cylinder isnt behaving the same).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply, that puts me more at rest, just got myself in a pickle, i thought i was right but got into my head that it was the other way around for some reason, a senior moment i think!

Once again thank you for your time.

Regards Simon.

·
Super Moderator
13,274 Posts
You need to ensure that your cables are properly adjusted and lifting the choke slides ALL THE WAY UP, turning "off" the choke when you tension the cable.

One slide partially down would cause richness in that cylinder.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi GrandpaulZ,

Thank you for that, i have adjusted one slide, very small amount but good of you to let me know.

I have just taken her out for the first test ride after a 9mth re-biuld, started first kick and never missed a beat, only 5 miles so early days yet.

Once again thank you and all on the forum for your help.

Regards.

Simon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts