Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, some W****r pushed my bike over last night and I found this on the ground - wonder if anyone can tell me where it's from?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Steering lock plunger mechanism. Might've been broken on purpose if they were trying to steal the bike. Fits between the ignition key top lockset and the electrical part at the bottom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steering lock plunger mechanism. Might've been broken on purpose if they were trying to steal the bike. Fits between the ignition key top lockset and the electrical part at the bottom.
Damn. That sounds like an expensive repair. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry any chance you know which part this is? Been looking on Triumph world and can't see it in any diagrams.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Not that simple I'm afraid. The steering lock mechanism is part of the ignition switch assembly and not available separately. You have to buy a complete ignition switch assembly to get it. Which means you'll have a different key to the fuel cap and the seat lock. You're going to have to remove the top triple clamp to get to it and also remove the tank to get to the wiring connector. You also have to deal with the anti-tamper screws that hold it in place. If you're quite adept and confident mechanically get one from a wrecker, disassemble it to get the steering lock part then swop it into yours. Have attached a picture of me Dremelling screwdriver slots in the anti-tamper bolts so they can be removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Some arsewipe recently tried to steal my bike by hammering a screw driver into my ignition switch. It cost me a new switch assembly ($340 AUD). I had to do what Terry described above. Not all that difficult, but time consuming. I found a locksmith locally who was able to disassemble the new switch/lock and reconfigure it to match my original key. That cost me another $65. It appears that one of the blind anti-tamper screws has already been broken off. To remove these screws I used a hacksaw to cut grooves into the top of the screw to allow me to use a screwdriver to remove it. The groove needs to be nice and deep as it takes a fair effort to unscrew the screws as they have been loctited in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts