Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Thanks for taking the time. New member, Central Florida. New owner, new rider2002 T100. After many years of wanting a bike I finally went ahead and pulled the trigger. I recently purchased this beauty. Once I was comfortable enough with the bike we went for a ride. After taking the bike for a longer ride I parked it for the night. I came back to a lake of oil in the garage the next day. Cleaned out the air box, checked oil level. After reading through several post about the same issue for the past few weeks since I bought the bike and now knowing the issue isn’t too much oil, being a new rider not knowing much about bikes I took it to the local shop to make sure no serious damage was done. Luckily no internal damage butttttttttttt the breather pipe was broken of course my luck lol. So this is where we stand, we cannot find this part anywhere. It’s back ordered from triumph. Shop has had the bike for a week now, all I can think about everyday is riding. Just want my bike back lol. If anyone knows where to find or has one hidden away or your uncle one for a rainy day and can help please let me know.

Víctor

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
The old adage is... If there's none on the ground there's none in the engine, but that's a bit too much.

Try Triumph of Seatlle (206) 783-2323. Big dealer and great parts department.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The old adage is... If there's none on the ground there's none in the engine, but that's a bit too much.

Try Triumph of Seatlle (206) 783-2323. Big dealer and great parts department.
Everywhere I read they say the bikes leak a little bit of oil but that seems like a little too much to me as well lol. Thanks for the quick response I will reach out to them.

Update :
I went ahead and reached out to Triumph of Seattle. Thanks @justalurker for the recommendation, very nice people and informative. Unfortunately they told me that no dealer in the US has the part available and is currently on back order from Triumph. We will just have to wait and see. Maybe that uncle will come through lol.

·
Registered
354 Posts
What breather pipe/part number are you trying to source? There is a drain hose on the bottom of your airbox that you have to manually unplug occasionally. That amount of oil however is entirely abnormal and you need to determine what is causing it. Are you sure you have not way overfilled the engine oil?
Clearly the breather pipe from the engine to the airbox is not broken or else you would have oil all over the top of the transmission. Have they opened up the engine?

·
Registered
493 Posts
That breather pipe - the external one from the crankcase to the airbox? Or the hard line pressed to the inside of the primary cover that eventually connects to the external line?

If it's the external line, get a piece of 3/8" rubber fuel line from Vatozone. Cut to fit and you don't even need hose clamps.

You can do the same in the internal one is broken. It's just an oil breather and not pressurized.

Echo the others, that is a metric ton of oil on the ground. Something else seems wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Flash Nick @speedfoos Thank you for the input and the info, it is the hard line that is connected to the primary case, Part Number T1260950.

Shop has already opened it up and diagnosed they are saying whoever worked on the bike previously must have damaged the breather pipe on removal causing a crack in pipe allowing oil to be sucked up into air box. I took it to shop after reading up and finding out about the oil breather seal that goes bad, I’ve read oil in the air box was a tell of a bad seal. Simple job just I wanted to be sure so to the shop it went. That’s when they found the broken hardline. Hopefully all will work out soon enough. Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
493 Posts
So, when I was fighting my blowby issues - before finally fixing it by replacing the centrifugal breather - I attempted something that didn't work for my situation. Stay with me, this is viable and may help your situation.

I cut (section out a piece of) the internal breather hard line to pull it out of the crankcase evac loop to diagnose my problem. Of course this did not fix my particular problem, and I also had to wait a ridiculously long time for my breather line.

Because I am impatient and handsy, I made my sectioned gap a little longer and used the aforementioned 3/8" line to join the two pieces of breather back together. It was EPDM rated line so withstood oil degradation. Bottom line is that is made my separated breather pipe whole again. Just an option for you if you are willing and don't want to wait for Triumph to make another pipe for you.

My advice is to replace the centrifugal breather while they are in there in addition to the seal in the primary (like you mentioned). It's a $50 part and they do go bad. Save you time and money opening up the primary again if/when it fails.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the input. At this point I’m just waiting for the new pipe to come in. Unless I’m able to come across one in the states. @speedfoos I appreciate the extra information.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts