Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
That suggestion was to hopefully rule out any questionable connections or wire shorts etc . You've kept us all busy trying
to resolve this from afar ! Peter
Also I was hoping you could check the pulse from the CPS to the ignition module ( ecm , etc)
thats what i dont get, i checked the signal coming from the cps at the plug where it plugs into the wiring harness

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
this feels like surrender, but yesterday when i put those new coils on and it didnt work, in the heat (southeastern washington) and frustration and rage, i damn near lost my temper

·
Registered
1998 T595 Daytona 2014 Kawasaki Ninja1000ABS
7,960 Posts
Very understandable. I know someone who torched his bike. I had similar issues to yours with a 2001 SV650. Cylinder kept cutting out and I went through every system to trouble shoot. Didn't ride at all that summer. Even used an oscilloscope to view the pulses from the signal generator. I finally decided to find a used ignitor and see what happens since you can't test those units. This was in the fall. It worked. That was my issue all along. I replaced parts that didn't need replacing like you. I channeled my anger at the bike and sold to a friend even though it was running great again. I had the bike for nine years so was time to say goodbye. That's when I bought my first Triumph, T595 Daytona. Still have but hasn't been on the road for 6 years. Trying to fix up this summer. Don't give up yet.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
whew, before i bought a dealertool, or took the bike to get diagnosed, in just read that there is no obd2 diagnosis port on this model bike, so is there no way to troubleshoot the igniter?

·
Premium Member
'06 Speedmaster
143 Posts
whew, before i bought a dealertool, or took the bike to get diagnosed, in just read that there is no obd2 diagnosis port on this model bike, so is there no way to troubleshoot the igniter?
@BigJoe84

The only way I know of to diagnose a bad ignition module is to swap in a known good one. Have you checked for a motorcycle salvage yard in your area that might have one?

·
Premium Member
'06 Speedmaster
143 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
@BigJoe84

What happened to the stock one for $150 clams? (Not an issue - just curious!)
Although, you'll likely be happier with the Procom unit since it allows re-maps for future performance upgrades! Praying this solves your gremlins! 🙏🙏🙏

Regards,
John
i was mistaken, it wasnt for this model bike, google had a spasm i guess

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just to make sure ; this was checked with the plugs in the head and a spare plug in one of the spark plug leads ? Peter
I was truly hoping to have a hallelujah moment here :( .

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Just to make sure ; this was checked with the plugs in the head and a spare plug in one of the spark plug leads ? Peter
I was truly hoping to have a hallelujah moment here :( .
Yes that's how it was tested, I've listed this piece of **** for sale.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I am no expert on the subject, but have been around this forum enough to know that procom igniters are NOT plug and play! Before you ditch the project, give them a call and see what advice they might give you. TTP fire starter would have been a better choice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I am no expert on the subject, but have been around this forum enough to know that procom igniters are NOT plug and play! Before you ditch the project, give them a call and see what advice they might give you. TTP fire starter would have been a better choice.
Have you read the rest of this thread?

61 - 80 of 80 Posts