Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, brass tacks, a 2004 speedmaster that has been bobbed out to hell and back, my first bike, juice is getting lost between the starter relay and the solenoid, the wiring diagram I have states that there is an "Alarm control unit" between the two but I cannot find it, or any helpful google results. Below is the diagram I am using

·
Premium Member
'06 Speedmaster
166 Posts
@BigJoe84

The "alarm" was an optional item! There is a tie-in pigtail connector pre-wired to security system wiring (which consists of only black wires) in the main harness for security/alarm/disabling functionality if the factory security system is added to the bike.
On my '06 Speedmaster, the security connector is located in the main harness along the spine of the frame, under the tank before the turn signal/flasher relay but closer to the back of the bike. It has a couple of wires that (individually), loop from one connector back to a different connector in the plug to complete a circuit - which allows things to work without an alarm system in place. (The connector on my bike slides onto a plastic push-pin on the right side of the frame spine.)
Barring any issues with your Ign. switch, start button, starter relay or the starter itself (and assuming you have a good battery/voltage), I would suspect that this 'loop connector' has come loose or maybe has a broken wire?

Good luck hunting your gremlins!!!

Regards,
John

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@BigJoe84

The "alarm" was an optional item! There is a tie-in pigtail connector pre-wired to security system wiring (which consists of only black wires) in the main harness for security/alarm/disabling functionality if the factory security system is added to the bike.
On my '06 Speedmaster, the security connector is located in the main harness along the spine of the frame, under the tank before the turn signal/flasher relay but closer to the back of the bike. It has a couple of wires that (individually), loop from one connector back to a different connector in the plug to complete a circuit - which allows things to work without an alarm system in place. (The connector on my bike slides onto a plastic push-pin on the right side of the frame spine.)
Barring any issues with your Ign. switch, start button, starter relay or the starter itself (and assuming you have a good battery/voltage), I would suspect that this 'loop connector' has come loose or maybe has a broken wire?

Good luck hunting your gremlins!!!

Regards,
John
Oops, forgot to say, thanks pal, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There was something hinky with the ground coming off the starter solenoid so I pulled it off and ran a line from the solenoid to the negative pole of my battery. Then I realized the key is only supposed to be turned halfway. Not real proud of that last one.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, if I try to start it with the kill switch in the off position my starter solenoid has a goddamn seizure

·
Premium Member
'06 Speedmaster
166 Posts
it makes a disturbingly loud rattling noise, like its being rapidly switched on and off
That sounds like a bad solenoid with an internal short... had one like that on a Ford truck I used to have. Also, with the kill switch engaged, your solenoid shouldn't be getting any voltage at all.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Are the two big wires on you’re solenoid wired correctly? The side with the live fuse should be connected to the battery

1 - 20 of 83 Posts