Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look, I know it's wrong and intolerant, but I really hate the bobbers, particularly the ones with ape hangers. You have every right to do what you like with your bike, and we can still be friends, but IMHO making a bonnie into a bobber makes about as much sense as taking a ***** on a wedding cake.

I even hesitate to buy accessories from websites featuring bobbers. I wish it weren't so, but it is.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yo,yo Doc E , I feel you. It doesn't make sense....it's like making an apple taste like an orange.
Who would buy a thruxton(or any bonnie),a bike with almost perfect geometry for riding(real riding),and hack it up into some wanna be somethin' else kind of bike?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Who would do it? Somebody who likes apples that taste like oranges.

My pet hate is choppers with the tank sitting on top of the frame rails. Why don't they have the tank straddle the rails a bit????? They stick up there like a pimple on my bumm, trust me that ain't a sight you want to see (even if you do like apples that taste like oranges)

·
Registered
318 Posts
The only reason I can think of to chop a Bonnie is if the thing is wrecked to start with. If the bike is destroyed beyond the limits of reasonable repair then it becomes chopper fodder quick with me.

I like a well done chop, but I am in no hurry to mess with my T100. I love this thing, this extension of my own personality, my one favorite posession. She is, and I do refer to her as she, my baby.

Doc

·
Registered
835 Posts
On 2005-11-09 19:28, jlzmeehan wrote:
Yo,yo Doc E , I feel you. It doesn't make sense....it's like making an apple taste like an orange.
Who would buy a thruxton(or any bonnie),a bike with almost perfect geometry for riding(real riding),and hack it up into some wanna be somethin' else kind of bike?
Fully agree, plus why would you put a tractor seat on a motorcycle. :lgh:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I think bobbers are like abstract art: 99% of the time it doesn't work and looks like a wannebe, but the other 1% are pretty interesting. I agree it's something to do with a wreck, but even a wreck deserves better than ape hangers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
So!! What your saying is not to show up for a ride with ape hangers on my TBS??? Would I be stoned and my bike set on fire?
Haveing been around the motorcycle scene since 1958, beleive me I have seen it all, and I do mean all, choppers, mild to wild..Bobbers, mild to wild!! if you look at all of Harleys dyna's most of them are direct copies of what the custom, chopper folks did back in the 60s and 70s some were cool, some were junk..I personally never did own a chopper in the true sence, but I did build a couple of custom bikes, one for my wife with a hardtail frame with a Harley XA springer front end, she loved it, I rode a custom 71 superglide at the time, well almost it was a 62 panhead with a sporty front end, stock 3 gal tanks with a reversed front fender for the rear..I suppose it is all in the eye of the beholder, some like them, some don't...

I was just kidding about apes on my TBS. :-D But I must say, I have done some custom work to it. took off the after thought Lic. plate lite and put a custom plate holder on there with lights in it, change risers and bars, got different seats for it, all little things to make it my own. I like it, perhaps you will not?? what is it they say, "to each his/her own"

I think a speedmaster with about 8 inch apes on it would be a good improvement in the looks dept. and maybe even in the rideing comfort?? maybe someday I will find out. :???:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On 2005-11-10 11:10, Bear wrote:
So!! What your saying is not to show up for a ride with ape hangers on my TBS??? Would I be stoned and my bike set on fire?
Hmmm...I dunno. Are you smoking a bowl with the gas cap off? :)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Yeah, I got my likes & dislikes........ you gotta problem with that? (By the way, it would be YOUR problem and not mine.)

The only bikes I care to appreciate would be functional bikes. By "functional", I don't mean utilitarian..... just that they work well. Therefore, I don't go for bars that prohibit riding above 45 mph, or geometry that makes the bike unstable, or brakes that don't stop, suspension that sucks, etc........

That being said, I would LOVE to have a good Bobber THAT WORKS!

Big Dogs, Fat Dogs, Running with Dawgs,
Texas Hardtails, Look'n fer tail, Tail between yer legs,
whatever kind of $50,000.00 "LOOKATME!" glamor bikes
do NOTHING for me.

But a creative, good look'n, functional, sane machine that has been fabricated by a REAL motorcycle enthusiast, now THAT will get my attention!

·
Registered
637 Posts
The bike in the above picture would be welcomed at any function that I attend and I can't think of a single soul who would not be proud to cruise down the road on it. Very cool. Joe

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:cry:

No card? Man! I said we could still be friends.

Hey, where's the clutch lever on that bike, anyway?

[ This message was edited by: DrEnglish on 2005-11-10 12:23 ]

·
Registered
316 Posts
RaceDweeb,I really dig the stuff you do.I will not say anything negative about those bars.They forced you to put those bars on,huh?You were like,"No way,the guys on the forum are gonna eat me alive".

Seriously,though,a Speedmaster is a perfect bike for that look.Nice job!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sorry guys. I guess if you own a bike its up to you what you do with it, but strewth! The bike in the photo looks hideous! Ditch the ape hangers and the headlight peak and it might look a half decent custom, but as it is - ugh! :2guns:

·
Registered
637 Posts
One of the great things about not having a clutch lever is always having your left hand free to give people the bird while your riding around!! Joe :-D :-D

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeh, old Indians had the throttle on the left so that it was easier to give the finger with the right hand while riding one.

Seriously, where's the clutch control on RaceDweeb's bobber?

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
The only thing I wanna bob on the Bonne is the frony & rear fender Cleaner -moresporty look! I wondered where the clutch was also? Back to 50 s ft clutch & stick shift?????
Why?? Kinda like putin an F250 tranny in a Mustang GT O well each to his own Im thinkin whip cream under the seat?
So??

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Joe, Jason, Thanks for the props. I let my pal Tan-Dawg tool around on it at the Battle of the Brits show last Sept. You should have seen the shiteating grin on his face. Bobbers are just plain fun. It's not my first choice to take to Deal's Gap, but it was a smash hit at the Woodward Dream Cruise. I will say I get more thumbs-up from cagers riding this bike than any of my other bikes.

Dr.E, the photo was snapped before my clutch-side wire extension was ready, hence no controls shown. Foot clutch/hand shifter is a bit too hardcore for me.

Mike, get over it. It's just a motorcycle. For me, a marketing & engineering exercise. I will be selling it sooner or later (as I do with most of my bikes to be able to fund the next project)... but no regrets building it.

Mike

1 - 20 of 28 Posts