Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding my '06 Scrambler,my buddy sold his Honda VTX 1800(which in my opinion was a piece of $hit Harley clone) and bought a Tangerine/silver '08 Scrambler.He wants to replace the plastic eyebrow tank badges with a set of metal tank badges that he found on Great Bay Motorcycles website.Their website states that these badges are for pre '08 smaller tanks only.Side by side our tanks look the same size.Did Triumph make 2 different size tanks for the Scrambler in '08?I think the new badge would look sharp and give his bike a different look,instead of looking like every other '08 tangerine/silver Scrambler in the area.Does anyone know if this can be done?Any pictures?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I believe the tanks were slightly altered for the EFI Triumphs, and some of those may have been slapped on mid-year as sometimes happens. Not sure how you can tell, though.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
propforward,the tank badges shown in your link that localmotion411 put on his bike are the exact badges my buddy wants to put on his Scrambler.Is there any way for a guy to know for sure if this can be done?

·
29,948 Posts
The only concern is whether the threaded studs are there. A lot of folks who have done this on 08s have found the studs, although the factory claimed they would not be there. Come to think of it, no one has reported taking their badges off and not finding the threads.

The best way to be sure is to reach into the inside of the gas tank with a mechanics inspection mirror (you can get them at tool stores and auto stores) an see if you can see evidence of them. If they are there, you are good to go.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the price for the replacement badges is for both or for one? The online brochure says tank badge "kit" but doesn't say if the $111.00 cdn is for both badges or for one badge and gasket.

BTW, from what I can figure the EFI tanks is not a ton fatter or have a different curve. The tank is actually a touch longer. So a little fatter and a little longer gives you the same curve. We arent talking much though. It is barely noticeable.

I was looking at a carbed and a FI bike and they looked pretty close. Both had knee pads on them and I ordered a set for my bike. The carbed knee pads are different and in comparison they are shorter then the FI ones.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The badges come as a pair, the part # is for the packaged set. Re-use your screws for which you will need a security torx.
If you get to see inside and if it looks like this pic (sans rust) then it is drilled for badges.
Doesn't seem to be a definate out there on just what fits what though

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Ah perfect, thanks 6T. All of the sudden my anger at 100+ bucks for a badge is tempered by the fact that its for both badges. phewwww.....

For some reason my dealer couldn't tell me that. I'll let them know for the next guy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I put the big honkin' "Classic" badges (the "waffle" or "harmonica" or whatever you wanna call 'em) on my '08 T100 and they fit just fine. Evidently the curve around the front sides of the '08 tank is pretty close to the older, slimmer tank.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Tank Badges

Just change my plastic for metal badges on my 2008 T-100. Used a wood door shim to pry the old ones off. Then just rolled off the remaining adhesive tape with my fingers. Took about 10 minutes. Did not use goof off. The metal badges being larger than the plastic gives the visual impression that the tank is not as big as before. I put on the eyebrow badge.

·
29,948 Posts
According to word received from the factory by Sofiaspin the threaded holes are not there. Proceed with caution.

Of course, you can just stick the old badge back on.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Or just paint the tank with TRIUMPH, which is what I will probably get done as I suspect 09 tanks are not drilled.......

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
Poking around the inside of the tank with a piece of stiff wire bent at the end--so it doesn't scratch--might reveal the presence of the threaded studs and be less trouble than a mirror and light.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts