Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...

Very happy camper right now.:D

Did not know how the day would turn out. Spent the most of the day with my son replacing the plastic fuel connectors with metal ones from Team Triumph.

http://www.rideteamtriumph.com/images/TTFKD-1.jpg

Last week I noticed a gas smell coming from my bike. Did a little investigation and it was coming from one of the plastic fuel connectors. With further research here, I took everyone's word to order the metal fuel connectors...glad I did.

When we were taking out the plastic fuel connectors, the other connector broke as well. Glad I ordered the metal ones.:)

By the way, they did not come out easy. Had to use a dremel tool to help with getting the old ones out.

Happy to say, the bike is back together and ready to ride.

Have attached some pictures of the bike before the repair and after.

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Where does one find these metal connectors other than Team Triumph? I took off my tank and when I disconnected the lower line fuel kept coming out. Had to put the tank in a large tub to catch the fuel coming out. Can these be ordered online somewhere? Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where does one find these metal connectors other than Team Triumph? I took off my tank and when I disconnected the lower line fuel kept coming out. Had to put the tank in a large tub to catch the fuel coming out. Can these be ordered online somewhere? Thanks.
I'm sure you can search online and find other sites. Team Triumph was suggested from other posts, so I ordered the metal connectors from them. Did not have any problems ordering from Team Triumph. I received the parts in 3-4 working days.:)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Saw this thread too late. Just ordered a plastic one. My question (if you don't mind) is whether you can just screw them out and in without taking the whole fuel pump plate off. Are they connected to anything inside the tank? And what thread lock (gas proof) do you reccommend? One more thing, I can't figure out what hose (if any) attaches to the fuel pressure regulator next to the fuel line disconnnects. It's a metal tube sticking out of the same area of the fuel lines with a nipple end on it. Looks like a vent hose connects here. Problem is, I think it fell off before I had a chance to look at it. I thought it might attach to the hose on the lower airbox closest to the fuel pump. My service manual dosent give the details. Any ideas?????????

Rayzor61

·
Registered
691 Posts
Ron,

Your quick coupling link goes right to the page with the item your talking about right? It says 1/4" is this the right one? dont we need metric sizes? I guess it's not that important because I'm selling it.......but it must be perfect first, mind you, and the missing hose from the fuel presure regulator is stummping me now! I might get the metal ones anyway. This is my third S3/Daytona...

Ray

·
Registered
12 Posts
I too tried using the plastic factory replacements, but when I went to screw them in they cracked during my installation attempt. It sealed the deal and I ordered the metal ones.

The ones listed in my link are the exact replacement's. The thread is 1/4" but the thread type, which is the important factor, is actually BSPT style. The best way to do it is to remove the fuel pump from the tank. Removing the OEM plastic ones was harder than expected. When I went to unscrew them they snapped off flush with the tank. I had to pick out the plastic threads from the fuel pump housing by hand using a sharpened pick. When I screwed the metal replacements in I had to work them in because the threads were a little jacked up from the plastic extraction method I had to use. The replacement metal ones did not go all the way in but that's OK. They are in 3/4 of the way which is more than enough.

The male fittings (1 red and 1 white connected to the black fuel lines). If you are replacing the male fittings as well you should take note of which one is which. Put red paint or nail polish on one of the male fittings so that it can go back into the same location when done.

With regards to the missing hose for the fuel pressure regulator. Mine was not missing it was connected to the top of the air filter housing. Approximately 6" or 8" long.

Change the fuel filter while you have the pump out, it only makes sense and it's an easy thing to do.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Waited 3 weeks for bikebandit to send part, called a dealer in the mean time and he had a couple on hand. I brought the tank down and he inserted it......happy me! Cancelled Bikebandit....too slow...

The bike is fully preped and ready for resale but I can't post in the classified for some reason. My account is limited or something....not enough time in a day to figure all this stuff out. Can anyone tell me how I can gain access??

Ray

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just called Quickcoupler.com and they state they typically only sell the 5/16 valve body for motorcyles. If you want any size other than 5/16 you much order in lots of 100.

Can someone confirm that indeed they are 1/4 and were they ordered them from.

Thank you,

Michael

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to the forum. Only time my daytona has let me down - plastic bits cracked - in the rain, long way from home, made for a squirrely ride till I figured out what happened. Got the metal bits from teamtriumph http://www.rideteamtriumph.com/intro.htm

Like others, plastic broke off and had to pick out the plastic. No worries since.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I thought there was a recall for this back in 2004? I remember taking mine in to the dealership and they replaced the fittings with metal ones.

Recalls Summary

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
TRIUMPH / DAYTONA 600 2004

TRIUMPH / DAYTONA 955 1997-2004

TRIUMPH / DAYTONA T595 1997-2004

TRIUMPH / SPEED FOUR 2002-2004

TRIUMPH / SPEED TRIPLE 1997-2004

TRIUMPH / SPRINT RS 2000-2004

TRIUMPH / SPRINT ST 1999-2004

TRIUMPH / TIGER 1999-2004

TRIUMPH / TT600 2000-2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 04V156000
Summary:
ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, THE FUEL CONNECTOR LINKING EACH OF THE FEED AND RETURN FUEL HOSES TO THE FUEL PUMP MOUNTING PLATE MAY FRACTURE FOLLOWING IN-SERVICE HANDLING.
Consequence:
FUEL COULD ESCAPE FROM THE FRACTURED BODY OF THE CONNECTOR ONTO THE ENGINE OR SIDE OF THE BIKE. FUEL LEAKAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, CAN RESULT IN A FIRE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE CONNECTOR. THE RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 30, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT TRIUMPH AT 1-678-854-2010.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION¿S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

·
Registered
60 Posts
There was a recall, seems like it was taken care of back in the day under the original owner. But mine still has the plastic part, Triumph doesn't offer metal replacement from what 2 shops told me.

They also said it was the male part of the connection that was recalled, not the female. My bike does have metal female parts. will call Triumph USA and see what they say.

Great info, thanks!
Michael

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
I thought there was a recall for this back in 2004? ....
...They also said it was the male part of the connection that was recalled, not the female....
Sigh - there are countless threads on this :rolleyes:

The recall ONLY covered the male parts - the female dry-break connectors in the fuel pump were NOT covered by recall.
Any metal female dry-breaks that exist were NOT done under warranty - maybe by goodwill or by a previous owner, but it is not subject to the recall.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sigh - there are countless threads on this :rolleyes:

The recall ONLY covered the male parts - the female dry-break connectors in the fuel pump were NOT covered by recall.
Any metal female dry-breaks that exist were NOT done under warranty - maybe by goodwill or by a previous owner, but it is not subject to the recall.
Thanks. I'll have to check the other connections. Maybe I got lucky when I took it in. :)Motor Cycle Center in Villa Park used metal replacements on the male connectors. Not sure where they got them if Triumph didn't provide them.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I got the recall notice from Triumph years ago, after I had already installed the metal ones. I asked if they would give me the money instead. They said no.:( Just replacing the male one and leaving the plastic female one is a waste of time IMO, and could leak down the road.

·
Super Moderator
21,187 Posts
I believe the impending problem with the females breaking is over-stated honestly (no disrespect at all intended!)
I believe they will only fracture if man-assisted! :p I cannot foresee a situation where driving down the road it suddenly gives way, unless the tank has been installed in such a way that there is significant stress on them.
The more likely issue however is that the dry-break will leak across the seal as the o-rings detoriorate with age. That phenomenon is just as likely to occur with plastic and metal. But even this poses no threat of an external leak, just that it won't seal when breaking the connection to remove tank for maintenance. That is indeed the situation that prompted my replacement of just one of them.
Yes, in that situation I would surely replace it with metal (of which I have now secured a couple thanks to O3Speed3) - although I didn't at the time due to time constraint of availability!
But replacing these is not trivial & I would say leave well alone until you HAVE to do it. Be prepared though and have them on hand.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Here is the link of where I got mine.

http://quickcouplings.net/osc/product_info.php?products_id=642

When I removed the plastic threads I did mess up the threads a little bit. I managed to thread the metal ones in, while not all the way they are at least 3/4 of the way threaded which is good enough.
Not sure which ones you purchased from quickcouplers.com when I called them they stated they only sell the 5/16 female, our bikes use the ¼ females.

The Daytona 955i 02 to 07 uses the following gas tank fittings:
Female ¼ BSPT
Male 3/8

Note: Do not try to thread all the way in, they colapse if you do.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts