Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing my prep this week to leave next week. I will be crossing the country a little further north as the weather should be a little more survivable this time of year.

I'm looking for suggestions on natural splendor - sites I shouldn't miss.

I'll be leaving NYC and hitting the other coast somewhere around Seattle, heading south and coming back. I would like to space the two routes far apart so that I get to see new scenery all the time.
I will be camping every night and welcome any suggestions for great (and inexpensive) campsites as well.

From the last crossing (southern route in November):

·
30,517 Posts
Do you know roughly which states you want to head through?

I suggest you should try and get the great lakes in somehow. Duluth is a wonderful city in my experience, very friendly, great scenery, plus you could include some excellent riding through the northern part of Minnesota as you go on, not to mention Wisconsin.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't know if you have a route planned, but the Badlands and Black Hills in South Dakota are certainly worth seeing. Lots of flat prairie riding to get there, though. Then ride up to Yellowstone (take Beartooth Highway up to Red lodge) and perhaps Glacier National Parks (Going to the Sun Highway) before heading to Seattle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
get "the hikers guide to hot springs in idaho", find "mile 16 hs", have coffee and whiskey at the rod and gun club in stanley idaho,
(anything in central idaho will blow yer mind...)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Although I have visited half of the US states it's been a while since I've been to most of the states that would interest you for this trip. What little I can offer is this:
- Montana and Wyoming are two of the most gorgeous states, and you really should spend some time there.
- Jackson Hole, WY. was a really cool place to visit (back in the 80s)
- If you go a bit further South on the return trip, you might want to visit the Bonneville flats in Utah! Come on, how can you pass up the opportunity?
- Have a look at www.bestbikingroads.com Although their coverage of the Americas isn't nearly as good as their coverage of Europe, you might find some good routes. I would also hope that you can enter some routes into their database, for others to enjoy.

I really look forward to your reports from the trip. It sure was fun to read about the previous one.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good info so far - thanks.

I just got a little bad news, a delay due to mechanical issues. I've been doing my final bike prep this week and had new tires mounted yesterday. During the balancing it became obvious that my wheels are a little wonky. The rear hub is most likely a goner (even the sprocket wobbles back & forth!) and the front might be salvageable. It's tough getting a service apointment quickly this time of year, so I may have an extra two weeks of planning for this trip. I'm doing my best to get her up to snuff quickly and get out there!

Keep the suggestions coming.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've done the trip below before. There is some great places to see around the great lakes and Michigan's UP. Niagara Falls is a nice place to stop too. If you cut through Canada, make sure to keep the eyes on the back of you head open. The highways are 2 lanes and winding with lots of trucking, frustrated drivers, and police. I remember 401 and 403 being particularly bad.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...9.365234&sspn=13.181455,28.564453&ie=UTF8&z=6

·
30,517 Posts
If you do come through Mn, you should consider going up Hwy 61 past Two Harbors, and turn west on Mn 1 through Ely. Follow that and back roads through the North of the state, maybe go south west through Chippewa Forest to get to South Dakota.

Let me know if you head this way, we'll see if a few folks can hook up and make you welcome if you have time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Kevin, can't help with your planning but want to wish you a safe trip..just discovered your November ride report and enjoyed it very much. You may remember me from the 2008 BTB. I met you and Elise at the Friday night party at Robin's appartment, and you and I had a long conversation and smoked a couple of cigars out on the roof. Anyway, just thought I'd say hello, and I look forward to your next ride report. Ed.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kevin, can't help with your planning but want to wish you a safe trip..just discovered your November ride report and enjoyed it very much. You may remember me from the 2008 BTB. I met you and Elise at the Friday night party at Robin's appartment, and you and I had a long conversation and smoked a couple of cigars out on the roof. Anyway, just thought I'd say hello, and I look forward to your next ride report. Ed.
Hi Ed. Missed seeing you at this year's BTB. Elise says Hi.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Ed. Missed seeing you at this year's BTB. Elise says Hi.
Yeah, I wanted to go again this year and was going to ride over Friday for the meet and greet but the weather here was really bad so I wimped out. I'm going to make more of an effort to get there next year. Say Hi to Elise and ride safe!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Plan to spend some time in Colorado and Wyoming. I'm especially fond of riding the west side of the Rocky's in Coloraso. Start in Durango, just above the NM border, and work your way north. Plan ahead and get tickets for a ride on the Durango/Silverton Railway. In Wyoming see the Tetons around Jackson Hole, plan to spend a few days around Jackson Hole exploring the Tetons. Then North into Yellowstone. Take the NE gate out of Yellowstone, at Silver Gate, and ride the Beartooth Pass from Silver Gate to Red Lodge, Montana. Many have called this the most beautiful highway in the USA. Then up into Glacier Nation Park for a ride through the park on the "Going To The Sun Highway". Just south of Seattle is the Olympic Penensula with the majestic Olympic mountain ranges, here is the Ho Rainforest, the only one in the lower 48, and Hurricane Rdge where you can look out over the mountain range for a spectaculr view of all the peaks and glaciers.

Pack warm clothing and be prepared for cool weather at the higher elevations.

Have fun, do some layovers and explore, meet locals, and BE SAFE!!!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Plan to spend some time in Colorado and Wyoming. I'm especially fond of riding the west side of the Rocky's in Coloraso. Start in Durango, just above the NM border, and work your way north. Plan ahead and get tickets for a ride on the Durango/Silverton Railway. In Wyoming see the Tetons around Jackson Hole, plan to spend a few days around Jackson Hole exploring the Tetons. Then North into Yellowstone. Take the NE gate out of Yellowstone, at Silver Gate, and ride the Beartooth Pass from Silver Gate to Red Lodge, Montana. Many have called this the most beautiful highway in the USA. Then up into Glacier Nation Park for a ride through the park on the "Going To The Sun Highway". Just south of Seattle is the Olympic Penensula with the majestic Olympic mountain ranges, here is the Ho Rainforest, the only one in the lower 48, and Hurricane Rdge where you can look out over the mountain range for a spectaculr view of all the peaks and glaciers.

Pack warm clothing and be prepared for cool weather at the higher elevations.

Have fun, do some layovers and explore, meet locals, and BE SAFE!!!

Thanks! You just planned a section of my trip.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Post up some pictures when you have the mule loaded and ready to go. Keep us informed of your progress an post lots of Pictures.

How long do you expect to be on the road???

·
Registered
284 Posts
Southern Illinois and southeast Missouri are scenic and friendly.Giant City State Park near Carbondale,Ill is nice.If you go through southern Iowa you HAVE to pay a courtesy call at Baxter Cycle in Marne, Iowa.I was ther last week and was blown away by the assortment of sweet machines.They are extremely hospitable.Best wishes

·
Registered
86 Posts
Route 2

Try Route 2 across the upper peninsula of Michigan. A great ride and, if you like, you can take it all the way to Idaho.
Todd

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
3 weeks or so...
Did I say three weeks, I meant TOMORROW MORNING!!!!! I had great news (and bad luck) at the dealer this morning, nothing wrong with my hubs, the first tire mechanic was a fool. The dealer balanced my tires, billed me and sent me on my way. At the second stop light, my rear brake hose snapped in half and slapped me in the foot. Apparently, the "technician" missed the slot when sliding the rear brake bracket back on... the caliper swung all the way around and snapped the brake line. They didn't have a Scrambler brake line in stock, so I got a shiney SS braded line. I didn't really care, I was too psyched that my trip is back on!!!

This is the last you guys will hear from me for a while. I'm not taking a laptop or anything so I'll be posting another long ride report towards the end of June.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Tripping Around: Where to go....

I have been reading some of the travelling stories of epic rides around the USA. All I can say is WOW, what a vast and beautiful country. I would be riding all the time if I were in the states just to experience the uniqueness of every state.
I would love to ride up some of the west coast, through the rocky's to wyoming, experience the deserts, the great lakes on the east.... the list is endless.

I havn't been riding outside my own country yet, though I am hoping to change that next year.
Last year me and a few of my mates rode right around New Zealand over 3 weeks. We did around 400 miles a day with rest days every 3. We saw the ruggered west coasts, sand dunes of the north, Forests, wilderness, desert plains, ruggered alps to lakes and fiords. We truely experienced the best of everything including the people.
We camped mostly, however most places we met folk who welcomed us and put out the best accomadation and supplies for us. We were truely blessed. In the 3 and a half weeks we were away, it cemented to us the need to do it again..... So this time we plan to do a more extensive ride through the larger island "The South Island".
In our view the South Island was the better of the two, larger, better roads, better people and much less traffic. All the traffic was biker friendly, and everyone we met had a cool story to tell.

If you ever venture down this neck of the woods, we would gladly go riding with you'all. There is plenty to see, and the us dollar stretches a long way.

anyone who wants to see pics of the trips, they are on our website and some are in my profile gallery here. website is www.soamc.co.nz we ride with anyone, anywhere, if they ride a Triumph then they must be decent....... we do make allowances for those other machnes as well though lol.....:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts