Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have never ridden more than maybe 4 hours in a day at most, maybe 150 miles, but the opportunity has come up to do a really nice trip through the southeast. I am attaching a pic of the route.

I was planning on doing a tune-up on the bike soon (just hit 30k miles) but I don't know if I can get the parts in on time unless I can use Amazon Prime. The biggest thing I think I want to replace if possible is the plugs and air filter (stock airbox). Any suggestions on what to use?

I think the plugs should be: NGK #4929 DPR8EA-9 My bike has been upgraded to stick coils so I don't think I can replace the plug wires.

I am wondering if the air filter should just be the K&N type, but I really don't want to fiddle with jetting at this point. I know there are a lot of conflicting opinions. Any input?

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should also add that the bike runs great right now with the exception of some popping on deceleration. I added TORs a while back, and I think they caused it. She probable needs re-jetting but I haven't taken the time to really investigate that.

·
Registered
443 Posts
400mi is not that far. I do more than that in a week commuting.

I wouldn't do anything to it if its running fine if you don't have a few weeks to make sure your maintenance is ok. Its unlikely that either of those will significantly change over a 1000mi trip.

If you did the stock coil mod then no you don't have plug wires.

I would make sure the brake pads have good meat on them.
I would carry a spare throttle cable and a spare crank sensor. Those could break suddenly and aren't quick to get if you need them. (well, there are universal throttle cables out there so that's not entirely true - but I'd get and carry a spare anyway) Maybe a spare coil stick, but that's probably overkill.

Double check your air pressure in your tires, chain adjustment and go have fun.

When you get back, do the plugs and another stock air box. If you've never done the box, your box is probably brittle/fragile and you'll want a new one to put a K&N panel in anyway.

Scott

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree it isn't far, but much further than I am used to and in slightly more remote areas. I was thinking along the same lines, don't mess with it if it is running fine.

I did check the brakes at the beginning of the season with the tire change, and check the air pressure weekly so I should be good there. My biggest concern might be my butt. The solo seat really isn't comfortable much over 100 miles, and the stock TBS seat is not remarkably better. But I really don't have any other choice.

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
I think the plugs should be 9EA9s, Mike knows for sure. Honestly I wouldn't start playing around before going on a long trip, just stick to stock parts. Play around later when you won't get caught out 200 miles from home!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have heard very good things about the Airhawk. You might prime yourself up one of those from Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/Airhawk-Me...8&qid=1466456894&sr=8-1&keywords=airhawk+seat

There are a bunch of different kinds. I haven't bought one myself yet, just heard good things from guys I've run into. There are different sizes too, smaller and bigger - I don't know which one is right for your seat, you'll have to check on it.

Scott

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I like the solo seat much better than the stock seat. Stock seat has too much soft foam, and it bunches up. I hate that. But I like Corbin seats, so, there you go.
Ride 100 or 125 miles, stop, get gas, stretch your legs, and repeat. I think you'll be ok. If she's running good let her be. It won't hurt to make sure your brake pads are good and your brakes fluid levels are ok. If you need an oil change, might as well do it. After that, you should be good.
Carrying a spare pickup coil isn't a bad idea.

·
Premium Member
4,074 Posts
I should also add that the bike runs great right now with the exception of some popping on deceleration. I added TORs a while back, and I think they caused it.
I'll wager it was popping before the TOR's; you just couldn't hear it. My take is, who cares? It doesn't affect performance. Adding fuel just to correct a perceived issue on deceleration is, well, a waste of fuel, IMNSHO.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IF it doesn't hurt the engine or indicate an issue, I don't really care too much. Partly why I haven't looked into fixing it. I thought if it persisted after a tune up I might start researching it.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
1- Be sure you have plenty of play in your chain if you're going to carry a bunch of gear and yourself so you don't stress the chain and sprockets.
2- Get off the bike often to save your butt; once the sciatica sets in it's too late.
3- Eating a banana each day keeps your potassium level up and helps reduce aches and pains, as does lots of hydration. You should need to stop and water the flowers every 75 miles or so if you are well-hydrated.
4- Small spray bottle of lens cleaner and a soft cloth are terrific for cleaning all the bug debris off your visor when you stop.
5- If you see something interesting, stop and look. We all think "we'll look at that the next time we're here", but you may never pass that way again. Stop and smell the roses and rest your ass at the same time.
6- Personally, there are so many other awesome roads that aren't crowded full of ******** trying to show off on their bikes that I have no interest in the Dragon. Cherohala Skyway is superb, especially midweek when it's quiet.
7- Don't be surprised if you feel a bit of anxiety at some point in the ride. Perfectly natural and will go away on its own. Planning and riding to a new place is stressful, even if you are not conscious of it.
8- Forgetting to put the bike into first when leaving a stop sign, or not hooking your chinstrap after a stop are two of the things that I experience when my body is getting tired and I'm not focusing well. Recognize these types of cues from yourself, and plan on getting off the road for the night as soon as you can.
9- Have a safe and awesome trip! Ride your own ride, and don't let the testosterone make you foolish!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is a great list. I agree with the dragons tail. I have lived near it for years and never had a strong desire to go but I decided that I would finally hit it. Just a been there done that kinda thing

·
Registered
1998 TBS
354 Posts
Great list by ssevy. I'd add:

1. Eat lightly, and go for the protein (eggs) as opposed to the pancakes. Or the Subway salad instead of the sandwich. Carbs make you sleepy, especially after lunch.

2. If you partake, have a dry night before. Celebrate after the ride.

3. Get an early start. Riding at dawn is awesome. There's something massively satisfying about watching other people go to work who are not you. Plus, riding at sunset can be tiresome. You should be on your first cocktail by then (see above).

Let me know how it goes. I've yet to take my TBS over 380 miles in a day yet. But it was glorious.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Plugs should be DPR8EA-9 as the OP said, or Iridium DPR8EIX-9

Just to confuse, Triumph originally spec'd the colder DPR9EA-9, but then changed to the 8s. Occasionally some vendors have it wrong.

Popping on decel is about the dead spark (duplicate spark on the exhaust stroke) and a quirk of TORS or more open pipes, nothing to do with actual in cylinder mixture. You can quench it a bit by richening up pilot jet screws and/or jets. But apart from resetting pilot screws to near 2.5 turns out (to improve idle and starting), I wouldn't bother changing anything else.

TBH, if you're keeping it stock, I would just buy a new Triumph airbox (with new stock filter included) and forget the K&N. Take your time to make sure the boots are all fitted properly, correct way round and nicely seated - use a tiny bit of vaseline or other suitable lube (not grease) on the boots when seating the carbs. (Remember, don't detach the throttle cable at the carb end.)

Sounds like a nice relaxed trip, enjoy! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts