Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I just took possession last week of my new 2012 Bonneville T100 and am working hard at breaking her in.
I'm taking an early retirement package from my employer and am thinking about loading up with some saddle bags etc. and heading south for the winter.
I live in Ottawa Ontario and my plan is to head down the east coast where I'll eventually park in Florida for 4 to 6 weeks, then head west and maybe park in Arizona for 4 to 6 weeks, then California etc.
Eventually in April heading back up the west coast and back into Canada where eventually I'll make my way back east again.
I'm obviously in the initial planning stages of this and have lots of details to work out. I need to do this on the cheap, staying in motels etc. only when absolutley necessary. I also want to stay away from the big cities and want to do the minimum riding on interstates.
So I'm hoping some of my fellow experienced Triumph owners will give me some advice and assistance with recommended highways, hostels, camping spots, couch surfing etc.
Any advise or assistance from those who live in along my proposed route would be appreciated!
Thanks all!
Brian

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Sounds like a dream-trip - few people ever get to take on something like that; hope you get to make it happen.

Only thing I would mention is that in the west the mountain passes won't likely be open by April. Sure the major roads and interstates will be kept open year-round, but the roads you'd actually want to ride aren't plowed often if at all so they are typically snowed-over until late May or June.

Of course this depends highly on the weather this winter, and you could always stick to the coastal ranges which are much lower and don't get snow. Though I have seen roads near the CA/OR boarder with a foot or more of snow that late even at these elevations (3-4000').

I don't really know how the Rockies do from personal experience, but I'm sure they hold onto their snow pretty late as well.

The trip is still totally doable, just one little thing to keep in mind when planning.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Bassman,

Go for it. If you want scenic and slow driving to Florida, try US 1. It runs from Maine to the Florida Keys. It does go through some of the bigger cities on the East Coast.

Above all enjoy and ride safe.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Howdy Bassman,
Drop me a line, when you start getting close to Arizona.
I'll be happy to show you around the state, a bit.
And the first beer is on me!
Ride safe,
Brad (TT RDHS)
:beerchug

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Quentin, highway one looks great, much of it close to the coast. I just need to get off to go around the big cities.
cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
2019 T100 Black
341 Posts
Bassman if you intend to go South you need to leave ASAP. Once November kicks in the weather can be unpredictable. Especially if you intend to take back roads through the mountains. You also should consider some electric gear to keep you warm.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd like to leave now, but my retirement date is Nov. 30th, no earlier. If I'm lucky I could get a few days good weather at that time, enough to put lot's of miles behind me and get to some reasonably warm weather.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
See the thread "The Dog has Landed in America" for a great read on traveling the USA on a T100! Dog's pulling a trailer (at least for some of the trip), which alleviates the "How do I pack my kitchen sink on my motorcycle?" problem.

Sounds like a great life-style change. Keep us posted. Stay loose with your plans (other than to get south when you can, before getting socked in for another winter in ON!), and keep in touch through the T-Rat board.

Keep the rubber on the road!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I'd like to leave now, but my retirement date is Nov. 30th, no earlier. If I'm lucky I could get a few days good weather at that time, enough to put lot's of miles behind me and get to some reasonably warm weather.
If you leave then, the weather for most of your trip will be VERY cold. Hopefully electric gear will help.

When you get to Florida, it will be the prime riding season. Drop me a line and lunch will be on me... and I have a bass guitar you can borrow for a few. :D

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
See the thread "The Dog has Landed in America" for a great read on traveling the USA on a T100! Dog's pulling a trailer (at least for some of the trip), which alleviates the "How do I pack my kitchen sink on my motorcycle?" problem.

Sounds like a great life-style change. Keep us posted. Stay loose with your plans (other than to get south when you can, before getting socked in for another winter in ON!), and keep in touch through the T-Rat board.

Keep the rubber on the road!
Thanks Trophy4, I'll check that out. I'll be travelling with my iPad and my smartphone, so will stay in contact for sure. Hoping to find some new Triumph buddy's and make some great memories!

Brian

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you leave then, the weather for most of your trip will be VERY cold. Hopefully electric gear will help.

When you get to Florida, it will be the prime riding season. Drop me a line and lunch will be on me... and I have a bass guitar you can borrow for a few. :D
Hey EchoRaven,
Cold doesn't bother me, ice and snow on the other hand would not be fun. A buddy here at the office came up with a great idea, rent a truck one way, load the Bonnie in back, drive until the weather is good and dump the truck off. Sounds like a plan!
Any guitar would do, can't take one with me on the bike. One of those things I'll miss, not to mention that my band mates won't be to happy to have to find a sub for all of the gigs I will miss. Oh well, life waits for no one!
Brian

·
Registered
775 Posts
Many pictures must be taken! I love to live vicariously through trip journals thinking someday i'll be so lucky as to conquer a major trip on two-wheels.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Well, when you finally make it out west give me a ring. I've always got a spare room for a wandering Triumph rider, though I'm a bit short on musical instruments.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Many pictures must be taken! I love to live vicariously through trip journals thinking someday i'll be so lucky as to conquer a major trip on two-wheels.
Definitely will keep a thread going with pictures. Someday your turn will come!

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, when you finally make it out west give me a ring. I've always got a spare room for a wandering Triumph rider, though I'm a bit short on musical instruments.
Excellent! Thanks Don, I'll keep it in mind. Northern California is an area I really want to see.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
One item that hasn't been discussed yet on this thread -- if this is your first motorcycle, or even if it's your 23rd motorcycle -- it will handle differently loaded than unloaded. Steering is different, braking is longer, balance is different, etcetera. Couple that with a few patches of bad weather .....

Be sure you become familiar with riding your new T100 fully loaded before you get in some situations where crisp handling is required!

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One item that hasn't been discussed yet on this thread -- if this is your first motorcycle, or even if it's your 23rd motorcycle -- it will handle differently loaded than unloaded. Steering is different, braking is longer, balance is different, etcetera. Couple that with a few patches of bad weather .....

Be sure you become familiar with riding your new T100 fully loaded before you get in some situations where crisp handling is required!
Duly noted Trophy4! Thanks for the heads up. Rest assured I'll be traveling as lite as possible.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts