Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I have now received and fitted PJ Glassfibre's "Hi-Flow Side Panel". This is an accessory that a few of us have been waiting for: a means of directing cold air towards the airbox and maybe even provide a little pressurising or ram-air effect for good measure.

At the end of this post I've included some links to some of my research into the effects of temperature on the intake air charge. Short of airbox removal this is a good mod together with the elimination of the snorkel.

Before this item became available I fitted my own cold air intake and I was very happy with that, although it's a little unorthodox. This, plus the relocation of my EFI's intake temperature sensor have resulted in a much better-running machine. It's all explained in the links below. This is what it looked like:

The new side cover itself is a fine-looking item. The glassfibre is beautifully laid and the inside of the panel is finished off with a fine fibreglass matt called surface tissue, unlike some of the items I've had in the past. Did anybody ever use one of those panniers or topboxes with such a rough interior finish that they ground the contents to a fine powder in a few miles?.

This is not like that. Edges are also well-finished and the paint flawlessly applied and glossy.

A nice touch is the provision of ready-fitted rubber grommets, same as the factorys, and the supply of the appropiate sticker "Bonneville", "Thruxton" or whatever OEM sticker is required.

It also fits on the bike properly without any contortions. The only thing you have to transfer from the old panel is the top-hat shaped washer and screw from the fixing at the bottom.

Note: to avoid having to desperately rummage through your garbage later on, be advised that the sticker comes loose in the plentiful protective packaging.

Don't throw this away until you find the sticker. You'll also find that Peter includes one of his own stickers and a nice key-ring as well.

The mesh at the front comes stuck with a hot-melt adhesive. I don't know if this will last, but I never have much luck with adhesives. As you can see in the photos I have fitted a ring of stainless M4 screws with wide flat washers and self-locking nuts at the back. This is to ensure that the mesh never comes off, but mainly to satisfy my nut and bolt fetish...I love them :).

The panel is meant to work best without the snorkel in place, of course. As I already had a Polaris rubber bellmouth left over from before I fitted the external bellmouth, I re-fitted it. One problem with this is that Peter has thoughtfully extended the rear portion of his new panel so that it covers the intake hole area better than the factory item. The moulding is also cleverly shaped to "funnel" air towards the airbox opening.

I suppose this is to ensure that none of that lovely cool air escapes out of the back of the panel. A small portion of the Polaris bellmouth interferes with that extension. You could either cut it off, (the bit on the bellmouth, not the cover extension), or bend it slightly to ensure it fits behind the panel like I've done. You could also leave the bellmouth off altogether, but as we have discussed before, a bellmouth shape always helps to smooth the air entering a cavity or airbox.

I have kept my intake temperature sensor (EFI only) in its relocated position outside the airbox. it's fitted to an existing and redundant plastic tab on the air filter box cover and connected through an extended loom running from the right side of the bike.

How does it perform?. No idea yet, the weather has turned foul over here and I haven't gone out on the bike yet. As you can read in one of the threads below, Peter claims that together with his stainless exhaust system, and re-jetting with a Dyno-jet kit (also available from his site) a bike was dynoed and found to give a power increase of 14.26 bhp. One of the Dynos cooling fans was directed towards the new inlet to simulate running on a road at about 60 mph.

What proportion of this increase is due to the exhaust, the dynojet kit or to the side panel is not clear.

Side view of new panel:

Front view:

The delivery is quite quick, considering this is a hand-made item, and the ordering procedure is as follows:

You contact Peter and order the panel, stating colour and what sticker you want. He tells you when the panel is moulded (if not in stock) and ready for sending to the painter. He then sends you a paypal request for the money:

£72.50 Panel
£25.00 Paint and stickers
£20.00 signed for and tracked postage (To Spain, from the UK, £25 rest of the world)

He then sends you a confirmation of sending date and a tracking number.

Further reading:

Thread where this panel was introduced and discussed originally, with more pictures, opinions, suggestions, etc:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/154441-modified-intake-side-cover.html

Threads started by me explaining the reasoning behind cold air intakes and airbox temperature concerns:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/136072-airbox-intake-air-temperature-free-power.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tec...rther-thoughts-on-intake-air-temperature.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/141844-cold-air-intake.html

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Nice mod, be interesting to hear if you feel any difference. A final dress with a narrow aluminum ring around the front of the hole might be something to consider too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've received mine, and it looks great!, but.... My wife bought it for me for Christmas and insists I wait to put it on the bike!!!!

I'll let you all know.... (and take some pics)... sorry...

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some more good news for those that wanted a matching panel for the right side. Peter is working on it right now.

It could be useful for those that have opened the right side of the airbox to provide extra airflow, or, as Peter is thinking, the extra space created can be used as a toolbox with the provision of a sort of tray.

I would certainly get one for use as a toolbox.

Here's a sneak preview of the prototype mould:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Nice write up Forchetto, could you show us what the inside looks like? Im curious to see what it looks like as i wish to see if it could benefit the pod filter guys among us. I.e. like my self. I did try this in fibreglass and it worked but i didnt have the skill to finish it. If you see previous posts on the subject you will see my old drawings which are very very similar to these. Would be interesting to know if it is angled enough to help pods breathe without causing wind blast lean spots as noticed without covers???

Chris.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Nice write up Forchetto, could you show us what the inside looks like?
I'll take a photo this morning after I finish re-setting all my bloody clocks, timers and watches (I collect them), to comply with the Winter time changes in Europe. I do wish they stopped messing about with this.:) I've read somewhere that they do this for the benefit of you Scotts...:)

Mind you I also have to bribe some 6-year old child to do the clock on the DVD...I can't fathom that out without reading the 500 page manual.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Bonneville Air Intake Panel

Excellent objective write up and pics - as always - Forchetto.

Two comments:

1.) Is the intake "mesh"... too much? Looking at it, I wonder if it in itself introduces a potential barrier? Since we already have an effective fine mesh air filter element inside of the a'box, are we not just trying to keep large insects, birds, rodents, and small children out of the intake? That said, could the mesh be larger? With the original "glue", removal and replacement (with a larger opening screeen) might be easy enough. By the way - + 1 on the the "multiple fastener" look you've developed. It matches the crankcase cover appearance, and compliments the rest of the bike. Fantastic job.

2.) With respect to the DVD Clock display: I'm surprised at you Forchetto. Everyone knows the fix is simply to apply a short strip of black electrical tape across the display, blocking out the annoying and often irritating incorrect numbers. An, easy, effective and semi-permanent fix (until the tape/adhesive falls off).

Looking forward to some "Road Test" commentary.

Bob

·
30,778 Posts
That side panel looks a lot better than I had expected, I must admit. From prior pictures I thought it was a bit bulbous, but it matches in there very nicely.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Are the model decals (Thruxton, Bonneville, etc.) clearcoated over during paint, or does the owner stick 'em on the basic black panel?

Thx...

Jason

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I wonder if the mesh is even necessary. Incidentally, I think that a round bar has the same drag as an air foil shape ten times as thick, so that could mean a lot of flow loss in the mesh. Why have the mesh at all?

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
The mesh would be necessary to keep out debri, bugs etc. The decals are cleared over just like the stock unit. Pete tells me they are painted by the same guys who paint the factory Triumphs. The panel fits with the lines of the bike extremely well and isn't bulbous at all.

I looking forward to acquiring the other side.:D

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice write up Forchetto, could you show us what the inside looks like?
Two more photos for you:

Close-up of the panel.

Close-up of the interior.

Are the model decals (Thruxton, Bonneville, etc.) clearcoated over during paint, or does the owner stick 'em on the basic black panel?
Jason
The decals, in my case, came loose and you have to position them yourself, so not clear-coated in place like the originals.

In my case they came loose in the protective packaging that I threw away and, later on, realising that no decals were in place, had to retrieve the ample packaging from the garbage and find the decals.

I wonder if the mesh is even necessary. Incidentally, I think that a round bar has the same drag as an air foil shape ten times as thick, so that could mean a lot of flow loss in the mesh. Why have the mesh at all?
Now you tell me after drilling and fixing for 12 screws to hold the mesh in place...:D

Come to think of it I could just remove it and line the edges of the hole with some chromed beading, the same thing I've used to decorate the lovely welded seam around the bottom of the gas tank to emphasize its beauty...:D

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Forchetto, Pete had mine installed and cleared over as you can see in the photos. Maybe you just needed to ask him?;) I think I'm either going to add some chrome counter sunk washer and stainless screws on the edge or milling a continuous piece of brushed aluminum in the same pattern as the opening. I'm going to leave the screen in place.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Forchetto, Pete had mine installed and cleared over as you can see in the photos. Maybe you just needed to ask him?;) I thin I'm either going to add some chrome counter sunk washer and stainless screws on the edge. I'm also thinking about milling a continuous piece of brushed aluminum in the same pattern as the opening. I'm going to leave the screen in place.
Cheers
I emailed Peter to ask him how the right hand panel was going. He sent me the photo of the prototype you can see in post number 4. He was not aware of those of you that have opened the airbox on the right side and is just making the right panel for balanced looks and possibly to hold some tools.

He now knows that some want it for extra air to the airbox as well.

He has hinted at making a laser-cut stainless ring to go round the opening ready drilled to take screws like mine.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hi Forchetto, question answered. "These will improve air to the bottom of the pod filters". I'll be buying two(one per side) when both sides are available in black for my thruxton.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Hot air is trapped behind the cylinders in the stock configuration. This will allow movement of the air around the intake replacing hot trapped air with a cooler flow of air.;)

Cheers

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.