Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Disappointed yesterday when I bought out Speedy from the garage after 4 weeks laying idle after being put away wet.

Found front brake discs rusty (norm) but calipers stuck (not so norm) - pumped a few times and freed them, then I noticed some pitting - see photo:

Question - Is this just my ignorance by putting the bike away wet and not riding for a few weeks or is this sub-standard material & something Triumph warranty should cover?

Also, is this level of pitting on both the front disc, dangerous or just something we have to live with & acceptable?

Cheers

Indi1050

·
Registered
89 Posts
Interesting ..
Disc's stuck.
I don't expect this on a proddy bike, Means there a high iron content in the rotors.
With metal pads, iron disc's, moisture, leave for a day to dry out, we have rust.
normally the disc's are cheaper stainless steal, look pretty but not as good for stopping,

Just check to see if the disc's clean themselves up in a few K's.

If they feel ok, check after a good run to see if the pitting is still there.

If it is, warranty.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I get the same front pads/discs sticking if my speedy is left for more than a day or two. It takes a really good shove to break the sticktion.
I haven't experienced it before but it's probably down to road salt and the recent weather conditions we've been having. Haven't noticed any pitting though. Any rust marks are cleaned off after a few miles.

If I was you I'd get down to your dealer and get it checked out under warranty. If mine looked like that I'd want them replaced.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get the same front pads/discs sticking if my speedy is left for more than a day or two. It takes a really good shove to break the sticktion.
I haven't experienced it before but it's probably down to road salt and the recent weather conditions we've been having. Haven't noticed any pitting though. Any rust marks are cleaned off after a few miles.

If I was you I'd get down to your dealer and get it checked out under warranty. If mine looked like that I'd want them replaced.
Cheers guys for your comments.

The dealers took some photos yesterday & will speak with Triumph, although they didn't hold out much hope as they thought I should not have put it away wet and left it - we'll see what the outcome is.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
My Speed Triple will hang up if I wash it and don't ride it overnight. It is normal for the composition of the break shoes, plus the rotors will look rusty over night as well if my garage floor is sweating w/ the humitity.
My 06 FZ-1 use to do the same thing, only not quite as pronounced. Wouldn't worry about the sticking part. Now the rotors.........I would just ride it and see how they look after a few weeks. My guess is they will clean up on there own.
What ever caused your rotors to pit, I would be careful in the future not to reproduce that particular condition.
I see your location is England......and winters the road slop there is quite corrosive. If you ride home in that stuff, maybe take the time to rinse off the bike with clear water.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The dealers took some photos yesterday & will speak with Triumph, although they didn't hold out much hope as they thought I should not have put it away wet and left it - we'll see what the outcome is.
I would argue that it's unreasonable to strip/clean/dry/polish the bike before putting it in the garage every day. What do they expect?
It can only be reasonable to expect the bike and parts to be fit for purpose - I wouldn't say that includes pitting like that.

Maybe Cburt has a point with this though
What ever caused your rotors to pit, I would be careful in the future not to reproduce that particular condition.
I see your location is England......and winters the road slop there is quite corrosive. If you ride home in that stuff, maybe take the time to rinse off the bike with clear water.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow, dude. That's some SERIOUS corrosion (coming from a mechanical engineer's perspective). That's probably a really low-grade stainless like 306.

HOWEVER, I probably would have dried it thoroughly if I was storing it for 4 weeks. I probably wouldn't have dried the rotor between the pad, but still...that's some serious corrosion that is borderline dangerous. How deep is the pitting?

·
Registered
366 Posts
The discs were like that when I bought my 07 privately last year. Popped into local dealer (Bill Smiths in Chester) and they took photos, sent them to Triumph and 2 weeks later I had 2 brand new discs fitted.:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The discs were like that when I bought my 07 privately last year. Popped into local dealer (Bill Smiths in Chester) and they took photos, sent them to Triumph and 2 weeks later I had 2 brand new discs fitted.:)
Lets hope my dealer (Carl Rosner) manages to do as gooder job as yours and plead my case - I'll keep my fingers cross - cheers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Indie

You share the same dealer to me. Therefore I'd say you share similar roads to me. There has been loads of salt and grit on the roads for the past many weeks. Fair enough about the pitting (hope they get replaced), but the sticking etc is really expected. I've just washed mine after as many weeks - mine has had two cans of ACF50 on it over the last two months and there are still some rust spot here and there.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I made the mistake of riding up to the last week of December. There was road salt around and it got on some surfaces. It takes patience to clean it all off but is a good idea before storage. That's all I can think of that will create pitting like this. Unless you had a defective rotor.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Response Back From Dealer

It's a NO - not covered by warranty as Triumph believe it is the manner in the way I stored the bike and the brakes should have been dried off.

My dealer has said that Triumph have noted the issue on my bike's file for future reference (not sure what good that will do).

In addition, my dealer doesn't feel this degree of pitting is dangerous and confirmed, as a couple of you have already suggested, that the discs could well wear smooth throu' wear.

I would just add that I always wash/rinse my bike down before I store it and this possibly just highlights how corrosive the salt mix is that is laid down on our roads in UK.

In future I will ride around the block before I put her to bed, just to dry out the brakes.

Cheers for all your comments.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sorry to hear it's a no on the warranty front.

Interesting that they put it on file. I guess that rules out trying it with another dealer :)

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
The next move, IMO should be to get some ABM Stainless Steel rotors. They may hold up better against corrosion. The look and work great too.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
In addition, my dealer doesn't feel this degree of pitting is dangerous and confirmed, as a couple of you have already suggested, that the discs could well wear smooth throu' wear.
I tend to agree with your dealer. There are wave discs with gaping holes across the disc available and they work just fine.

Few dimples like you have on yours should not effect braking enough to notice.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi Guys

Disappointed yesterday when I bought out Speedy from the garage after 4 weeks laying idle after being put away wet.

Found front brake discs rusty (norm) but calipers stuck (not so norm) - pumped a few times and freed them, then I noticed some pitting - see photo:

Question - Is this just my ignorance by putting the bike away wet and not riding for a few weeks or is this sub-standard material & something Triumph warranty should cover?

Also, is this level of pitting on both the front disc, dangerous or just something we have to live with & acceptable?

Cheers

Indi1050
Well, I have sympathy with you, I have the same problem and despite contacting UK Warranty twice and Tao Mantoni who is a big cheese at Triumph, I have no joy, they say its caused by outside influences, ie the weather and that I havent looked after it properly, bollox, my bike is pampered. Poor quality and it makes my blood boil :mad:

Heres mine :(

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I have sympathy with you, I have the same problem and despite contacting UK Warranty twice and Tao Mantoni who is a big cheese at Triumph, I have no joy, they say its caused by outside influences, ie the weather and that I havent looked after it properly, bollox, my bike is pampered. Poor quality and it makes my blood boil :mad:

Heres mine :(
Here's mine too - on a bike registered September 2008 and it's only done 690 miles before resting up over Winter.

Triumph response - Their response --
The reason for this is because of the composites used to produce the discs to give the correct friction co-efficiencies, allied to material
used in the sintered pads, when left wet against the discs there is a reaction and they will pit. This doesn’t reduce the efficiency of the
brakes; it just looks a little unsightly. I’m afraid we won’t be
changing them under warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's mine too - on a bike registered September 2008 and it's only done 690 miles before resting up over Winter.

Triumph response - Their response --
The reason for this is because of the composites used to produce the discs to give the correct friction co-efficiencies, allied to material
used in the sintered pads, when left wet against the discs there is a reaction and they will pit. This doesn’t reduce the efficiency of the
brakes; it just looks a little unsightly. I’m afraid we won’t be
changing them under warranty.
Cheers for the comment & very interesting - There is such a thing as 'Fit for Purpose' - putting a bike away wet - a daily occurance in UK - just shouldn't allow this corrosion to happen in a few days/a couple of weeks - if it were years, then fair enough - Triumph should be reconsidering the materials they use IMO.

Triumph's comments in regard to 'doesn't reduce the efficiency of the brakes' - I would question that as if this was the case then why are the discs smooth, shiny and unpitted when sold new - surely all to do with calculated surface area contact - anyway we'll never win the argument.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The rotors on my 02 look exactly the same and have been that way since last winter. Doesn't seen to be a performance or safety issuse but the pits won't wear off any time soon.

Mine was caused by the salt since I road on a warm day between snows and didn't give it a washing down before putting it in the garage. The wet part doesn't seem to matter but the salt corroded the rotors, banjo brake fittings and rear hub nuts overnight. Now when I ride in the winter it gets a bath and a coating of WD40 before going in the garage and I haven't had any more problems.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts