Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been two years since I last changed out plugs on the "Old Girl". I am heading to the garage this weekend to do that fun filled task. Although they probably have limited miles on the ones in there, with the short trips and frequent start ups just to keep juices flowing, a change will make me feel better. My method involves removing the pin and spinning the tank sideways on the frame (resting on a towel) to gain the best access. No fuel or vent lines have to be removed and you get to all six wells fairly easily. Let the games begin.......

·
Registered
292 Posts
I always pull the pin and spin the tank sideways, makes access a lot easier. Tank needs to be pretty empty tho

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plugs are done, I just need someone to tell me how I always miss one, have to figure out what cylinder and go back. Must be the early stages of alzheimer's and late stages of dyslexia. While everything was off went ahead flushed the coolant system and new antifreeze. Just took a short test drive, runs great and no leaks. A real good day....

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
What kind of mileage do you get out of plugs? Mine is at 14k miles on the original plugs.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of mileage do you get out of plugs? Mine is at 14k miles on the original plugs.
It is probably overkill but I try to change plugs every couple of years regardless of mileage, which is my case is very limited. I am a big believer in preventive maintenance and regular plugs are not all that expensive, again a matter of personal preference to me. I also think if you are going to go to all of the hassle of fighting the tank and the deep plug wells to check the condition, you might as well change them while in there......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts