Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've read a lot of great reviews about the Pirreli Sport Demon- both here and other internet sources. it sounds to me like the only "con" about this tire is it's short life. but around here(seattle), i've heard about a handful of guys dumping their bikes because of this tire giving out on them. they say that the tire can offer no warning(wobble/wash), and will immediately lose bite when it has had enough. very curious to get feedback about this tire. thanks.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
had "enough" how? you mean at the end of it's life (i don't know any tire that won't let you down if you ride it past it's life) or do you mean riding it hard? i have one in the rear with a pirelli mt66route on the front and i've cooked the rear during rides. got the sticky sorta blistered look in several spots & it's never felt like it was going to toss me (high or low). i've got maybe 2000 miles on it & at least that to go, so i can't comment on it's "end of life" performance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey, sorry about the vagueness of my inquiry. i guess by "enough" i meant when a tire just won't bite anymore and washes out(even before it's retirement). i've had tires before that will give you a slight warning sense of it not being able to hold it's grip by a last minute wash or wobble, and then i've experienced tires that just will wash completely out without ANY notice. but from what i read on this forum, the Pirellis are highly regarded.

·
Registered
182 Posts
gday
i have been doing the cardinal sin of running 2 different tyre types for the last year because i am i tight ass ! :mad: your Pirreli Sport Demon-on the front and a avon road master on the rear and when i push her hard [ and im not a scraper very often] or some times just on a cold morning the front tyre will "slip " normally with very little warning :eek:so i am about to change to a avon road master on the front . the front tyre still has good tread but has got to go
cheers
macca:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your input. actually, i have Bridgestones or Avons in mind now at this point.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
I've had Demons front and rear for the last 5000ks. They stick really good but I can get the back to drift when pushing hard but then anything would. They havent 'let go' without any warning, they've slipped and then bit again which is good. Naturally you have to ride to the road and the conditions at the time - a bit of sh1t on the road and anything will sit you on your bum.

While I'd fit them again I might give Michelins a go next time just to see what they're like.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
gday
i have been doing the cardinal sin of running 2 different tyre types for the last year because i am i tight ass ! :mad: your Pirreli Sport Demon-on the front and a avon road master on the rear and when i push her hard [ and im not a scraper very often] or some times just on a cold morning the front tyre will "slip " normally with very little warning :eek:so i am about to change to a avon road master on the front . the front tyre still has good tread but has got to go
cheers
macca:cool:
i've felt that front tire "little slip" on occasion (on 2 different front tires). and, i've heard it mentioned before. it seems like it's never the same tire in the story, either. not sure what that is, but possibly more to it than just the tire (or tire combination).

·
Registered
182 Posts
i've felt that front tire "little slip" on occasion (on 2 different front tires). and, i've heard it mentioned before. it seems like it's never the same tire in the story, either. not sure what that is, but possibly more to it than just the tire (or tire combination).
ok lets work this out !! for me it seems to happen more when im going for it , or when the temp is low [ hey i now live in the adelaide hills so its going to be cold often]:( so all obvious reasons but some times it will just happen , the tyre is likely 3 -4 yrs old although i have only had the bike a year so is it the age of the tyre as apposed the tread ?
cheers
macca

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes, Macca, there are many factors that contribute to this topic of a tire slipping. i still have a hard time believing that Pirelli's gonna' make a tire that'll dump you on your ear, even after it's broken in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.