Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, as the title sums up I found a boatload of sidewall cracks on my front tire. I'm curious if anyone else has run into this with Pirellis or other brands.

Some history of the tire:

Purchased as a set from online dealer 7-28-08. My second set of tires bought from them. No issues with the first set or the rear tire from this set.

Installed 8-9-08 by the local Triumph shop.

4,526 miles since installed.

Date code is '1708' so it isn't old. (Actually 'fresher' than the rear)

Tire pressure always 35~36 PSI cold for the front.

There is still plenty of tread left. Almost 5/32" and no cupping or uneven wear.

I never used any tire dressing on it or any cycle tires.

As stated earlier, the rear which was bought and installed at the same time is absolutely fine.

The cracks go the whole way around the tire and are on both sides.

The cracks showed up suddenly. They weren't there last week when I when I checked pressures pre-trip but were very apparent this morning before I rode.

I've not ridden at a track or in any other way that would cause excess tire heat.

I'm not going to debate the merits of various brands of tires in this thread. I also want to avoid arguing about ordering online vs purchasing from the local shop. This is my fourth or fifth set of Stradas. One set was bought through the local shop. The rest were bought online. I've never had cracking issues regardless of where purchased and the only thing which has caused the premature death of previous tires has been damage from crap in the road.

I ride all winter so I don't store the bike with the tires sitting without being rotated. I don't have a garage so all my bikes are parked under a large roof overhang and are protected with good cycle covers. None of the tires are subject to UV rays when parked and they do not get rained or snowed upon. Also, after each winter ride the bikes are thoroughly washed to get rid of salt and parked inside until dry.

I've parked bikes like this for years and never had a similar issue regardless of type of tire, type of bike, or brand of tire. If the rear tire had the same problem I might consider that there was something I did to cause it. As the rear is fine it appears that the front tire is faulty.

I'm going to contact Pirelli on Monday or Tuesday and see what their reaction is about this. I'm not comfortable riding on it like that but I'm not really in a good position to buy a new tire right now. I might contact the place I bought them but enough time and miles elapsed before the issue began that I'm sure they won't do anything about it.

Thanks for any input. Cheers!

(click the pics to zoom, use the 'back' button to return to the thread)

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you parking the bike on a concrete floor?
It's paved where I park. Not concrete but blacktop. The same stuff used to make roads.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It almost looks like you've been riding over huge potholes with low pressure. But, I'm not suggesting that's what actually happened based on your description and the fact that there's no marking on the rim.
What's the handling been like on this set of tyres? That sidewall must have been moving around a lot to crack like that.
Hope you get some joy from Pirelli.

·
Registered
247 Posts
mine is date coded 3408 and looks good front and rear. but I will be keeping an eye on them. thanks for the heads up. I'd check with Pirelli also, they may have a bad batch for that day.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Pelon717

that appears to be a failure in the manufacture process.

If it were mine I would not ride on it and contact the supplier asap.

It is highly unlikely you are the only one with the issue.

Possibly a bad batch although this sort of thing is rare these days.
But Michelin did have a de lamination issue on a batch of Pilot Powers a few years ago.

So it does happen and even to very large manufacturers with excellent reputations.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
mine is date coded 3408 and looks good front and rear. but I will be keeping an eye on them. thanks for the heads up. I'd check with Pirelli also, they may have a bad batch for that day.
You're avatar disgusts me.

I can't believe you're condoning animal cruelty, even in a joking manner.

On topic, my strada's have never cracked like this, I've been through two sets and am on my third.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I just talked to Pirelli. The guy seemed pretty interested and told me that the local Triumph shop can handle the warranty once it's inspected and deemed defective. The parts guy at the Triumph shop said they don't have a problem taking care of it even though I bought it elsewhere. I have bought tires from them before and they mounted this set so that helped. I've bought a fair amount of parts and gear from them in addition to having a 6K service done so they know I do buy locally most of the time.

As soon as the Pirelli rep heard the date code he said the tire is still new and should be covered. The Triumph parts guy is calling his tire rep to make sure it's handled to everyone's satisfaction.

So far, so good... I'll keep ya posted as I find out more. I'd be super-happy if I got it replaced at little or no cost to me. I was really bummed yesterday when I saw the cracks.

...What's the handling been like on this set of tyres? That sidewall must have been moving around a lot to crack like that.
Hope you get some joy from Pirelli.
No handling issues at all. They don't seem dry or anything and seem to stick just as well as all the other Pirellis I've been through. I didn't notice any excess sidewall flexing. It certainly is strange.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
I'm on my 3rd set of these tires with no problems. I run low pressures 31rear/27front. Excellent tire. I would have to say "bad batch"

·
Registered
247 Posts
Glad to see they are taking care of you. hopefully you will not be billed for anything, and Pirelli will take care of the tab. that would be the right thing to do

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update...or not.

Well, this has gone as well as everything else lately. The tire rep for the Triumph shop won't return the parts guy's phone calls. Unfortunately, Pirelli says the warranty has to be handled locally.

So yesterday I left a message for the warranty guy at Pirelli. Of course I never heard back from him. I wanted to know how I handle it now that the local tire rep seems to have disappeared. Probably the reps don't want to hear about anything that doesn't make them money. I'll wait until mid-morning then try to rattle his cage again.

The Pirelli warranty guy told me last week that the Ducati/Kawi/'Zuki shop could probably handle it as well, but if they have the same tire rep I'm screwed. Also I figured I'd get better treatment from the Triumph shop as they know me.

Perfect! This will be the second decent weekend I can't ride the RS. Gaaaaaaaaaaaah!

(Sorry about whining so much. It's been one of those months.)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More "good" news. Pirelli says that even if they do give me a new tire I'll have to pay the shop for mounting and balancing. They won't help with any incidental costs and still require that the warranty be done at a local level even though the regional rep won't return calls.

And still, no one has heard from the parts unlimited tire rep. I'm getting ready to call another shop but they probably have the same rep as it's done regionally. If this goes on much longer I'll probably just put a new tire on the credit card and figure out how to pay for it later. :mad:

If I have to buy a new tire it sure as H won't be a pirelli. This sucks- I've been so happy with the last 4 or 5 sets of these tires. They could at least spring for the mount and balance...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
That is very poor service considering it is clearly a faulty tyre.

I would be very annoyed there is no reason why you should be paying for anything.

DaveM:cool:
Thanks for the support. Yup, I'm starting to get annoyed. At first when I talked to Pirelli it sounded like they would make everything right once the rep saw the tire and pronounced it faulty. Now, a week and a half later, I've not even been able to get anyone to look at it.

As part of my job I deal with both manufacturers and retail customers. When a warranty issue comes up, the companies that handle it correctly gain a customer for life. The ones that screw the pooch generally lose multiple customers because people love to tell horror stories about big companies not doing the right thing.

When I first contacted Pirelli/Metzler, I offered to e-mail the tire pics and the info regarding when the tires were purchased and installed. They won't do it that way even though it seems it would expedite the process . If fact, today when I requested Pirelli handle the warranty directly I was told that would take a long time and I'd be off the bike for awhile.

If I get screwed around much longer I'll request they ship me a new tire. If they refuse I'll just start posting the story on every bike forum imaginable and everything I say will be truthful. I'll not stoop to libel or slander even though they could (and should) remedy this quickly and easily. I keep notes of all phone conversations so it'll be easy to post a timeline and name who I talked to and what was said. Heck, if they ship me a tire I'll take it to the local shop and pay to get it mounted just so I can ride in the near future.

[end of today's complaining]

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
So wait, they've acknowledged that it's faulty and failed to remedy it?!?! :confused:

If so, they're freakin' morons & they need to fire some people in order to remain a viable corporation in the 21st century. Seriously.

Were the tires in question mine, I would find out who their (advertising) agency of record is and who their PR firm is. I would then find out the name & email address of the Pirelli account rep. Inform the account reps at the advertising and/or PR agencies of what is happening here and either the people at Pirelli who count will soon take care of you or Pirelli will begin an inexorable circling of the drain. They should be willing to supply Tires and mounting at the absolute least; your silence is really worth 2 or 3 sets of (mounted & balanced) tires at a minimum.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just got off the phone with another local shop. The owner said he'd try to help even though he probably has the same rep as the Triumph shop.

But...I'd have to take the tire off myself and leave it at his shop. Then he could show it to his parts unlimited rep who should show up...

...wait for it...

...wait for it...

in about 3 weeks.

:censored: :censored: :censored:

I sent an e-mail to Pirelli USA last night with a short description of the situation and a link to the thread. It probably won't help but we'll see.

·
Registered
247 Posts
if it gives you any satisfaction at all, this will be the last set of Pirelli's I run on my bike as well. I guess I'll try conti- road attacks next.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Another sorta-update

Just in case anyone isn't totally sick of my complaining yet, here's what isn't happening.

The Triumph shop was still unable to contact the parts unlimited rep as of Wed April 22. I e-mailed Pirelli and complained that their warranty procedure was not working and I wanted a new tire. Keep in mind that Bill, the warranty guy had already said that the tire was defective as it was considered new due to the date code and had extensive cracking. But...they don't even want to see pics of it. Huh?

On Thursday the 23rd I received an e-mail from Pirelli where they explain the warranty procedure and basically accuse me of not understanding it. Over the phone (twice) I was told that the parts unlimited rep had to inspect the tire. In the e-mail, they say that any shop that sells pirelli tires should inspect it and declare it defective. Then they should give me a tire out of their stock and apply for credit. Yeah, like any shop is going to give me a free tire without knowing for sure they'll be credited toward their next order.

I talked to the shop's parts guy and forwarded the e-mail to him. He e-mailed Pirelli for clarification and hasn't received a response yet. He said he would call them later today.

I've saved the email from Pirelli. I don't really want to post it here but if anyone wants to see it PM me your email address and I'll try to send you a copy.

So to sum it up, 17 days after first contacting Pirelli I still have a defective tire I can't ride on and have made no progress in getting it replaced. It seems like the "warranty procedure" is effective in forcing the rider to just give up and buy a new tire.

I really expected them to step up and take care of it. You'd think that they would just ship me one and be done with it. Apparently they don't care about their customers that much.

Sorry for all the negativity.

-Erik

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
if it gives you any satisfaction at all, this will be the last set of Pirelli's I run on my bike as well. I guess I'll try conti- road attacks next.
Yeah, I'm thinking of trying the Continentals as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts