Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No not the gay type riding HD's but the real thing off the Somalia coast. Pirates are hijacking a large number of ocean going ships, last month they hijacked a ship carrying Russian tanks and now they have hijacked a huge Saudi oil tanker.

You have to wonder how such a thing can happen in the world today ! One of the reasons of ineptitude is that 275 crew members from different hijacked ships are being held hostage.

Maybe we have to wait until they hijack an Israeli ship, then something will be done about it !

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10543622

--------------
Ride on ! :(

·
Premium Member
17,482 Posts
Call the UN Security Council! Negotiate! Talk to them! If all else fails, impose sanctions!

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
This has been going on for a while and a lot of shipping hijacks or pirate incidences have gone unreported. Some of the pirated ships were attacked by disguised law enforcement or military people. They have also found that taking hostages is much more lucrative as well. Ship companies have been starting to train their crews to repell attacks guns, water cannons, etc. in an attempt to thwart attacks. Your right T it is hard to believe in this day and age. Oh they have been known to use hand held missles as well.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Call the UN Security Council! Negotiate! Talk to them! If all else fails, impose sanctions!
Call George W Bush! Annihilate them! Destroy them! If all else fails, destroy somebody else!:p:D

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rumour has it that the tanker was hijacked by Wombat, I've seen his posts complaining about the price of fuel and that he was going to do something about it !

---------------
Ride on ! :cool:

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that interesting link Dave40. Noted that it was HMS Cumberland that took part in that operation. Many years ago as a boy Navy cadet my base was TS Cumberland ! Afterwards I went into the airforce ! :D

---------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Premium Member
17,482 Posts
The pirates probably hijacked the oil tanker to fuel the tanks they stole a week or two earlier!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Anyone else find it "interesting" that the hijacking occurs when oil is at US $55 per barrel and all those ships passed safely when oil was US $147 a barrel?
C'mon I know at least one of the conspiracy types here could explain that to me...

·
Registered
422 Posts
A pirate walks into a bar. Protruding from the fly of his trousers is a huge ship's wheel. He saunters up to the bar, orders, and sits back to enjoy, having to reach around the wheel to get the flagon to and from the bar.

The bar tender finally can't keep his curiosity at bay and asks-
"Old salt, doesn't that wheel bother you-what's that helm wheel there for?"

The pirate responds-"Arrrgh! It's drivin' me nuts!"

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Anyone else find it "interesting" that the hijacking occurs when oil is at US $55 per barrel and all those ships passed safely when oil was US $147 a barrel?
C'mon I know at least one of the conspiracy types here could explain that to me...
Pirates have been a problem for a while. They tried to capture a cruise ship a while back. The crew of the cruise ship was able to repel the attack with a sonic device...

I have heard that this tanker carries so much oil that it could drive up the cost.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
shiver me timbers matey

It's difficult for me to understand why the owners of a tanker carrying millions of dollars worth of oil would not have the freaking common sense to hire a dozen armed guards when their ship goes through waters where known pirates are being seen on a regular basis.
this ain't their first rodeo, piracy has been going on for nearly ten years....why don't they wake up and smell the roses?
IMHO they deserve to lose their ships....and the cargo....it serves them right!!!!

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I read some months back that an organisation was recruiting and training ex Brit Army Gurkhas to man the ship's security.

Piracy is probably the world's second oldest profession :D , the problem is just not off the Somali coast it's also in the Straits of Malacca carried out by Indonesians, Indian ocean opposite Thailand, around the Philippines and the Caribbean. Most of it is done by 'fishermen' eaking out a more profitable living.

However Somalia is highly professional and there's a couple of towns whose sole living is piracy. Their government gets its cut so it isn't too bothered about cracking down on it.

--------------

·
Registered
984 Posts
Why are y'all bashing on the last honorable profession on earth when you know that deep in your heart you have a secret desire to abandon it all and plunder the 7 seas with your merry maties? Arrrr!

WHAT!?

:D

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
...........Re. armed guards, would it not be illegal for a non-military ship to carry weapons?
Not in international waters, they just need to be declared at customs on entering ports. Various customs either seal them up or hold them whilst the ship is in port.

-------------

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
why couldnt they have a few cauldrons of boiling oil on deck to repel the invaders.
Then, Greenpeace would attack their ship... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts