Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so here's a few crappy shots of my speedy with my beloved chain reaction pipe set up.
(and carbon seat cowl)
these photos suck ass, and the bike is dirty, but hey, i had a break in clients this afternoon, so i shot down to half moon bay and shot some quickies. :)
i'll post better ones when i get it all cleaned up and in better light.

weeeeeee.
-b

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On 2006-12-05 20:04, cheapbastard wrote:
zoo, what in the world is up with yer mirrors? :hammer: :-D
hahaha! i k now man. i don't have the cash yet to get the other crg! -- somoeone else on another forum asked the same question. wasn't sure to say i don't use the left one as i'm always in the passing lane. :)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I hate you.

Mine have arrived, but are still in the box. I'm still working on the header (pre-cat removal and cleaning up the exhaust ports) Then it all get's sent off for the ceramic coating. Them more waiting.

Tuneboy is here, and I'm playing with the software, trying to make it work on my Mac using Virtual PC. Don't know if it will work yet.

This is what is happening to the header ports.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Nice Zoo, what bar do you have on it?

Crash, what's wrong with the headers? I'm planning on coating mine too. Anything I should be aware of? Did you get a new gasket? Don't they have a copper one?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Got to love them squids. :-D

Pull up to a stop light

Guy on bike next to you says

mnffgffed sdffewrewrrrmmmmf

Me. WHAT?

Guy... mnnmrffgph kffgfkrmph

me. WHAT?

Guy mmmmmph.

Me......What?....oh hang on....turn off bike.......what?

Guy.. howd ya like them pipes?

:-D :-D :hammer:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
On 2006-12-05 20:27, Triple_Rider wrote:
Crash, what's wrong with the headers? I'm planning on coating mine too. Anything I should be aware of? Did you get a new gasket? Don't they have a copper one?
There's two problems with the header: The pre-cat(ylitic converter) which is a restrictive perforated tube just forward of the split. It's only tack welded in, so drill two holes and it comes right out. Then weld up the holes.

Second, the castings on the head-end of the header are kind of crude. I'm just cleaning them up to flow a little better, and later (next winter maybe) the head will come off for matching cleanup. If you look at the picture you can see the left pipe is unmodified, while the other two have been cleaned up. I've removed about a 1/16 inch from the outer edges of the ports.

Yes, the gaskets are copper. I don't have new ones yet, but I plan on getting some. I also think I may need a new metal-fabric gasket for the other end. I kind of destroyed it getting it out. :hammer:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On 2006-12-05 20:14, crashmasterd wrote:
Tuneboy is here, and I'm playing with the software, trying to make it work on my Mac using Virtual PC. Don't know if it will work yet.
crash, your a mac guy??! wow. surprised to another one of us here.
tell me about your tune boy / mac experience.
i'm looking for someone (that has a PC) that i can download some maps into my garmin quest 2 gps... no lovin' for us mac folks. keep us updated on this!!
-b

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On 2006-12-05 20:35, Limey wrote:
Got to love them squids. :-D

Pull up to a stop light

Guy on bike next to you says

mnffgffed sdffewrewrrrmmmmf

Me. WHAT?

Guy... mnnmrffgph kffgfkrmph

me. WHAT?

Guy mmmmmph.

Me......What?....oh hang on....turn off bike.......what?

Guy.. howd ya like them pipes?

:-D :-D :hammer:

hahahaha!! so true!
i pulled up at the bike parking along the street at haight street this weekend, and this older feller comes up in an armored jacket and asks (after i turn the bike off) what kind of pipes are those?

i told him "chain reaction". - he goes: "oh yeah, i've heard of those guys". i tell him "well, prolly not. they're a really new company".
he doesn't say much, then gets on this little scooter next to me and takes off.
i had to laugh out loud on that one. --- but he asked what kind of pipes they were. -- i was wondering how he knew they weren't just stock pipes on the triumph???

timeless.
-b

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On 2006-12-05 20:27, Triple_Rider wrote:
Nice Zoo, what bar do you have on it?
hey TR,
they are pro-tapers. unlike renthals (which bend if you look at them wrong) these are strong bars. the ones without the cross bar - the thicker bars are wicked strong. you'd bend your rear sub-frame before those in a wreck.

this particular bar is a pro-taper "seven 8's" (to fit on the stock risers)
it's the CR mid-bend. BUT if i did it again, i'd get the CR hi-bend.
-b

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey Crash, did your headers not fit the port shape on the heads correctly? Were they offset a little or just smaller diameter? I may have to take a look at mine.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
On 2006-12-05 21:54, 3forme wrote:
Hey Crash, did your headers not fit the port shape on the heads correctly? Were they offset a little or just smaller diameter? I may have to take a look at mine.
The header ports are just kind of irregularly shaped, while the head exhaust ports are pretty round. It's nothing big, but somthng easy to do while the pipe is off.

I expect the real gains to be made when the head is matched to the exhaust. This is a prime place to reduce a little exhaust turbulence.

Of course I may be shooting myself in the foot here. It's possible this will put a big hole in the torque curve. :hammer:

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's possible this will put a big hole in the torque curve. :hammer:

Nah, just as long as you don't get too carried away. Matching headers to ports is one thing, hogging them out is another. I wouldn't cut too much off the ports in the head, just clean them up a little.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On 2006-12-05 21:53, 3forme wrote:
Looks good Zoo. What hugger do you have? I'm in need of one.
shoo' i can't remember. if i were to do it again, i'd get a carbon one.
to be honest, i think there are better huggers to be had. this one doesn't keep the water at bay - which will be an issue when i take off the ass of my bike and do the tail tidey thing.

next up: super secret mod! (custom billet engine case cover! our friend at chain reaction passed me some COOL info this weekend.) shhhhhhhhh. ;)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I expect the real gains to be made when the head is matched to the exhaust. This is a prime place to reduce a little exhaust turbulence.
less turbulence means louder pipes!
nice call on the grind! i've never read a 'bad' happening from porting and polishing even in the exhaust dept.
-b

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
On 2006-12-05 22:24, 3forme wrote:

Nah, just as long as you don't get too carried away. Matching headers to ports is one thing, hogging them out is another. I wouldn't cut too much off the ports in the head, just clean them up a little.
That's the idea. Not really to hog them out, but to match the ports to each other.

In other news, Windows XP is installed via Virtual PC on my iBook and is running fine. Tuneboy installs without problems (easier than installing windblows! &%£$*&*^&%%$!!!!) and supposedly recognizes the USB port and installs drivers. Trouble is, it doesn't recognize the Bikes ECU.

More research I guess. Stupid PC's. I'll get with Wayne later, but I think I just need to get a cheap used laptop for this one purpose.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On 2006-12-05 23:04, crashmasterd wrote:
On 2006-12-05 22:24, 3forme wrote:

That's the idea. Not really to hog them out, but to match the ports to each other.

In other news, Windows XP is installed via Virtual PC on my iBook and is running fine. Tuneboy installs without problems (easier than installing windblows! &%£$*&*^&%%$!!!!) and supposedly recognizes the USB port and installs drivers. Trouble is, it doesn't recognize the Bikes ECU.

More research I guess. Stupid PC's. I'll get with Wayne later, but I think I just need to get a cheap used laptop for this one purpose.
your prolly not workinng with a new mac pro are you by chance? the "boot camp" app' is supposed to be pretty bad ass for windows applications.
cheers,
-b

1 - 20 of 21 Posts